Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Egr Faq

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 11:59 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Egr Faq

Since I've gotten a few PMs about the EGR system, I figured I'd just post it up, that way other users can search on it

EGR is short for exhaust gas return. the EGR system takes exhaust, and pipes it back into the intake to try to burn it again. Exhaust, already being burned, doesn't really burn well a second time. The EGR system is only supposed to recirculate at certain points. My EGR modulator failed, causing my engine to run like complete crap because of massive amounts of exhaust being injected into my idle (seriously screwing with my A/F Ratio, hence running like crap)

Pros:

Cleaner A/F ratio = more HP
Smoother running engine
Neater engine bay (the EGR system is a mess of vacume tubes, modulators and pipes)

Cons:
You may not pass emissions -- hard to say, STP emissions fuel add-in and running the engine for 20 minutes before the test may do the trick. SC300T actually passed emissions in Ohio w/ a turbo & the EGR system gone, go figure.

Tuning is necissary to fully realize the gains. Something like Apexi S-AFC would allow you to precisely tune in the A/F ratios. This would need to be done with either a wideband O2 sensor permanently installed, or taking the car to a shop to have it dyno tuned.

parts: The EGR block-off plates from MohdParts.com or Boost Logic should work just fine. the intake pipe block-off plate may need some slight trimming to get the studs to fit cleanly.

The alternative to the blockoff plates is a screw. There is some sort of screw (don't know the kind) that will fit in perfectly and costs under $1 at pep boys.

Here's my link to my other post about removing the system.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=EGR

here's a link to a step by step how to from SupraForums...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...&highlight=EGR

John