Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Management Options, and fuel setup ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04 | 03:45 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

$1,758 new...

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...595&SearchYN=N

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/ has it too.

call around, I'm sure you can do at least a little better.

and there's proably nothing wrong with a used unit either.
Old 09-27-04 | 12:08 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

So by reading this post I'm assuming that the Supra 2JZGTE AEM EMS will work for the NA-T? Is it still plug and tune or is there some rewiring that will need to be done?

Anyone have the EMS with a NA-T?
Old 09-27-04 | 12:34 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

There are a few NA-t's with the AEM EMS. The SupraTT model will work with our cars but they have a model for the SC300/Na Supra as well. You have to use a MAP sensor and an air temp sensor and then its plug and play(tune).

gadgetSC-t

Last edited by gadgetSC; 09-28-04 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-27-04 | 10:27 PM
sc300ccret
Driver

Being one of thoe people that have ACTUALLY done the swap and AEM here is my perspective.
AEM does make a EMS for the SC300. Perfect for NA-T. Get a 5bar map so you have the headroom, the resolution of the senor doesn't change. The GM AIT and GM boost contoller are 70 bucks with a harness.
I'm a fan of the AEM and my car gets tuned Jason next week. I'm really going to dig the speed sensitive boost control. Outside of that your on the right track and good luck with your project. Holler if you have any ?'s.

Mike
- Turbo lag is whining by those who aren't running enough boost.
Old 09-29-04 | 10:40 AM
SlideMySC
Driver School Candidate

Okay, heres another question...

Whats the smarter road to go. Buy the EMS for the SC300, and spend more money, cause they arent easy to find used. Or get the EMS for the TT supra used, and go from there.

Are the same sensors needed for both units? I know there is wiring to be done if using the TT on a SC, but I wasnt sure if you would need the same sensors. Any input?
Old 09-29-04 | 10:59 AM
sc300ccret
Driver

If you plan on sticking NA-T then do the SC300 specific AEM, If your going to do the swap, hold off and wait on the AEM and all of your mods until your ready to do it.
I'm not sure the TT ECU will work in the SC300 without serious wiring carnage. I did the TT ecu and the TT harness so that was fairly involved. I know a few of the sensors are diff on the SC3 so i'm pretty sure tthe TT ecu will not "just" work in the sc300. However for 100% certainty call the guy who designed it. Call AEM and ask for Jason.

Yes both AEM ' s use the same sensors. Don't forget your wideband 02 as well.

Mike

Originally posted by SlideMySC
Okay, heres another question...

Whats the smarter road to go. Buy the EMS for the SC300, and spend more money, cause they arent easy to find used. Or get the EMS for the TT supra used, and go from there.

Are the same sensors needed for both units? I know there is wiring to be done if using the TT on a SC, but I wasnt sure if you would need the same sensors. Any input?

Last edited by sc300ccret; 09-29-04 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-29-04 | 01:45 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

You might have better luck finding a used AEM EMS for the SupraTT. I doubt that there are many used SC300 versions out yet.
Old 09-29-04 | 03:24 PM
SlideMySC
Driver School Candidate

Okay, Im definetly sticking to the Na-T...but I was pretty sure that guy Angel and a few others used the TT EMS in their cars. I would rather have the SC300 one, of course, but its like a 400 or 500 dollar difference, cause you cant get the sc ones used.
Old 10-09-04 | 08:15 PM
BLKMGK
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by mteele
I've just heard too mant horror stories about the AEM unit causing blown engines, the unit itself going bad, etc.
Really? I "hear" that if you play with yourself you'll go blind

Setup and tuned correctly the AEM will work fine but it takes some dedication to learn it. I'm not sure how involved using the TT on an SC300 is but comparing the pinouts will probably give you your answers. The car I worked on today had a TT box in it I believe but it's wiring was hardly what I'd recommend using as an example Hopefully with a little more time on that car I'll have it humming and a mapping for others to use. It pulls pretty good WOT now though, got to work driveability...
Old 10-09-04 | 08:21 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Hey BLKMGK....I saw that your working on a SC300 over on the AEM forums. I downloaded that map but didnt get a chance to look at it and compare it to my own. Did you get the idle setup? Glad to see you made it over here.

gadgetSC-t
Old 10-09-04 | 08:56 PM
BLKMGK
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate you looking at the mapping. At this point I'm a little puzzled, as soon as RPMs drop below 1400 the ignition appears to shut off. Unfortunatly I didn't have enough time with the car to really troubleshoot this with all of the other things we had to do. Destroying that NTK O2 sensor really stung! Honestly the MSD ignition on the car makes me nervous but after seeing the difference dwell made in the upper RPMs I'm thinking I need to mess with that. The previous owner had the EXACT same issue I found out which explains why it was idling at nearly 2K when it was sold I'll figure it out, I just need time. I may suggest that the owner leave it with me for awhile as others have done but it wasn't possible this time. I honestly expected tuning it would be cake so the issues I ran into were a surprise. I should've learned by now, every single time I see a different car it comes with it's own share of issues. I have another one coming over tomorrow - a Supra TT and so far it's been cake but he wants to do brakes and whatnot. Having a lift rox!
Old 10-09-04 | 09:24 PM
BLKMGK
Driver School Candidate

HA! Good news I figured it had to be a dwell issue and sure enough it was that and more at the very least. The pickup sensitivity for the NA cars is different and I hadn't knwon this. The old original mapping had problems too but I think with the changes I've just made it'll be right. I've sent the owner a new mapping, fingers crossed. AEM had a "Wizard" to fix this but it's a few menu levels down and I hadn't realized I might need to fsck with something that deep I wish I'd realized there were dwell issues earlier in the day, by the time I got to figuring out that stuff we'd already wasted like 7 hours twiddling other things. With the way the car would stall I spent lots of time chasing my tail with idle not realizing that ignition was cutting. Live and learn!
Old 10-11-04 | 09:49 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BLKMGK
Live and learn!

Word