Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC300 5-spd...Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-04, 08:26 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 SC300 5-spd...Vibration

I saw a very nice 5-spd Black SC 300 close to me. I REALLY REALLY like it, however there are some problems with it. The seller is an older gentleman who said the car was his son's and he bought it from his son, they are having a new grandbaby so he needs to get a car he can put a seat in.

1 - Leather Torn, not that big of a deal because finding a 5-spd SC 3 is hard!

2 - Bad vibration on acceleration and while driving in the 2000-2500rpm range. IT had the same vibration at idle that another SC300 Auto I drove had. When idling at a standstill with the hood popped there is noticable engine movement back and forth which looks like engine mount problems to me, which would make me think the vibrations at higher speeds are related to the mounts also..

If the mounts are the problem, how hard are they to change?

He just recently had it serviced with new spark plugs and timing belt and everything and he said it was running GREAT after that and it slowly faded to the vibrations again.

On my 4cyl accord with bad mounts, I changed the plugs and did service on my engine adn found it ran smootly for a little bit also but slowly faded back to vibrations.

He said he wants $4800 OBO and if he doesn't get the problem fixed he's be willing to significantly discount it. I was origninally thinking I could get it to $4300 (if in good condition), but I wonder if I can get an estimate at a shop for mounts (if thats the problem), and take that off the price, maybe $3300-$3600 for the final price. The only other problem is that the front seats are worn pretty badly, he has seat covers on them.

The car also only has 140k, which isn't that much in my opinion for a Lex.

Anybody ever changed their own mounts, or know how much it is to change the engine and transmission mounts? I'd probably do all of them at once just to make sure.
Old 09-26-04, 08:45 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

The engine is missing and you need to find out why before you do anything.
Old 09-26-04, 10:49 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

What do you mean the engine is missing? It sounded fine, no pinging or any noises like that and it had fine power, it was just the vibrations that are the problem and the engine moving back an forth while idling.
Old 09-26-04, 02:41 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by TMaxxTim
What do you mean the engine is missing? It sounded fine, no pinging or any noises like that and it had fine power, it was just the vibrations that are the problem and the engine moving back an forth while idling.
OLT is talking about... why is it vibrating/missing?....

CEO
Old 09-26-04, 02:49 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had some CRAZY vibration/hesitation when I first got my car. The two reasons: Insanely dirty filter, and tires worn to the max. If those are fine, then its most likey the motor mounts
Old 09-26-04, 07:01 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Alright, sounds like it will end up being the mounts, not a huge deal at all. I can definately tell its not tires/air filter or anything like that becasue when driving, when you're in neutral or the clutch is in there is no vibration, but when you put on the gas hard in like 3rd or 4th you can really feel a vibration in the car.
Old 09-26-04, 07:05 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

BTW, right now his offer was $4800 OBO. He said he would significantly discount it becasue of the problem which he thought he had cured with the engine tune-up. HE said he didn't want to sell the car with that bad vibration unless we knew about it and it was discounted for in the price.

The front seats are torn, the side door panels feel loose (I've heard the big doors cause this problem over time)

And the car has a few dings, but nothing horrible.

What would you offer. I was thinking $3500 would be what I could get it for in the end, which is not much at all.

Thx for any suggestions.

Tim
Old 09-26-04, 08:25 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

me personally i would take it to a dealer and have it checked out...

CEO
Old 09-26-04, 08:37 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I'm going to call the Lexus dealer tomorrow, see how much it costs to do a total rundown on the car, and ask them how much they charge to replace engine mounts on a 92 SC 300. I'll go from there.
Old 09-26-04, 08:40 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by TMaxxTim
I'm going to call the Lexus dealer tomorrow, see how much it costs to do a total rundown on the car, and ask them how much they charge to replace engine mounts on a 92 SC 300. I'll go from there.
good idea..i got mine certified...they pointed out everything from scratches to the paint on the outside to snags in the carpet...it was 120.00 but well worth it i think it was 115 point inspection or something like that...

CEO
Old 09-26-04, 10:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

He just recently had it serviced with new spark plugs and timing belt and everything and he said it was running GREAT after that and it slowly faded to the vibrations again.
i repeat, the engine is missing again.
Old 09-27-04, 04:58 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Okay, I'm trying to find out how you know that for sure, becasue it sure didn't sound like it was missing.
Old 09-27-04, 01:30 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Lexus dealer quoted me $800 to replace engine mounts, said there was one in there right now having the same thing done and described the same problem. Said it was $300 for mounts and $500 for labor, "there's a lot of labor". This makes it sound like it might be a problem I don't want to tackle on my own, any opinions?