Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The end of the road for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-04, 03:29 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot Damn! How much to have one delivered to SC? From there I can get it shipped over to me in Australia
Old 10-04-04, 08:57 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

If I can get to the position where the $$$ will let me do it - I will def. be in touch and see what u can find for me. As for right now my poor baby is gathering dust in the driveway!!

Peace and thank you,

Jonny

Originally posted by VSsc400
a used SC400 V8 engine can be had for around $400. Cheaper than part and labor to swap head gasket.

let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you.
Old 10-04-04, 03:42 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Fred Smith
Hot Damn! How much to have one delivered to SC? From there I can get it shipped over to me in Australia
Fred, we're trying to help our man Jonny...this isn't the thread to hijack, please understand and start a new thread about your engine needs

Last edited by mikeloc24; 10-04-04 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-04-04, 05:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

The latest...

I was told that the job to replace the HG is 30 labor hours - approximately $1800 is labor. 2 out of the 3 places say they don't want the job because it takes closer to 45-50 hours to complete.

How much faster would it be to replace the engine than the HG. Financially would it be cheaper?

As I am sure u can imagine, this car is not something I want to pour any money into. Right now I want it driveable so I can get rid of it and find a new one with less problems/ What is my cheapest route??

Sell as is, replace whole engine (168k on it) or replace the HG?

Thx guys,

Jonny
Old 10-04-04, 09:11 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DX3 - I did similiar leg work but related to another es300... IT is much cheaper and easier to swap the engine. IF you check with the same shops about a direct engine swap you may find that out.

IF ... you cannot get it down locally, you may consider using a truck transport co. to actually tow your sc4 up to the east coast. (Don't laugh people but I have heard of costs as low as $300)
There are shops in NYC and Ct. that WILL swap your engine. This may not be a bad idea since your replacement engine needs could be more readily handled up here. Just brainstorming and giving you some options.
Take care
Blktiger...
Old 10-05-04, 12:14 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Blktiger,

That is def. an option as the shops down here are pretty expensive. I have my old mechanic who may help but he is a pretty shady character so he may bail on me at any time during the process leaving me stranded. I will look more into it.

Thank you man,

Jonny
Old 10-08-04, 07:16 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mikeloc24
Fred, we're trying to help our man Jonny...this isn't the thread to hijack, please understand and start a new thread about your engine needs
That's not a hijack. That's discussing something that came up in the thread. A hijack would have been "hey everybody look at these photos of my new pet gerbil", and steering the thread away from the original topic: replacement engines. What use would a new thread be when it is maybe a 1 or 2 reply thing, from the same people, about the same topic? That's what a discussion is.. someone says something, and you reply when interested in it. Am I on here saying "hey give me the engine you would otherwise have hooked him up with" ? No. If you read my earlier comments, you will see I was suggesting a price for him to pick one up at, someone corrected me with a lower price, and I was pleasantly surprised by this. I am not on here looking to take anyone's motor, and I do not have any immediate motor needs. But when a good piece of info came up I showed interest in it.

Now, do you have some problem with this?

Last edited by Fred Smith; 10-08-04 at 07:19 AM.