Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 04:59 PM
SCBenny
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Man @RxRodger; @estomax not officially yet, i believe the car has at least been stripped of upwards of 350+ pounds, the entire interior is gutted along with A/c, heater charcoal canister and the abs unit. but for now having no sunroof is pretty cool! im still debating when i am going to put in the panel lol

@gerrb
My goal is primarily for enjoyment of building a straight up awesome car! it is so fun around the mountain roads by my house however i am defiantly going to take it out on the track for circuit style racing over the summer and with friends, i know it will be an awesome experience

Last edited by SCBenny; 04-22-16 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 05:12 PM
SCBenny
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohh and btw its a duraflex v-speed style lip, but it is fiberglass, they sell some that are Polyurethane, id recommend the polyurethane and get it from whoever makes it, its a lot more resistant to breaking
Old 04-24-16, 03:52 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SCBenny

@gerrb
My goal is primarily for enjoyment of building a straight up awesome car! it is so fun around the mountain roads by my house however i am defiantly going to take it out on the track for circuit style racing over the summer and with friends, i know it will be an awesome experience
Nice ! All those weight that had been shed will definitely help you on your circuit racing and that weight reduction exercise you are doing won't be useless ... now , your NA-T endeavors should provide that power to push it forward . As Steve (1A1) had mentioned , bumping the boost / power should take care of the weight that cannot be shed out anymore.

Originally Posted by SCBenny
ohh and btw its a duraflex v-speed style lip, but it is fiberglass, they sell some that are Polyurethane, id recommend the polyurethane and get it from whoever makes it, its a lot more resistant to breaking
That lip looks really good for that 95-96 bumper. I will probably check out the PU version which I see on egay since I have that bumper on my Old Man Tan SC. I just wonder if it hangs leveled with the 97 side skirts in there.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-24-16 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-25-16, 06:02 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I got to admit. I put my rear spoiler back on, and like the look so well, will leave it on. Will have to loose the 6 1/2 lbs. somewhere else.
Old 04-26-16, 07:42 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

just to add another note, another user posted the sunroof assembly as 33 lbs, i weighed mine, the sunroof assembly, headliner, and bolts that hold onto the sunroof assembly - 38.8 lbs

just fyi those who want to remove a bunch of weight from up top and get more room for your helmet.

the sunroof glass panel itself weighs 12.8 lbs, i am considering bolting that back up there for now until i either get a plug or get it welded. still 25 lbs off and i can now fit in the car with my helmet.

Marko
Old 04-26-16, 09:07 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Guy on FB is making CF sunroof inserts now, might be a good idea for you folks ditching your roofs.
Old 04-26-16, 09:20 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Guy on FB is making CF sunroof inserts now, might be a good idea for you folks ditching your roofs.
Got a link? I'm not completely sure I want to ditch the glass, but it's definitely of interest.
Old 04-26-16, 09:52 AM
Halon
Racer

Are you on any of the Lexus / SC related Facebook groups? There's a guy on there from Taiwan that's making all sorts of new CF/fiberglass parts for SC's (sunroof delete, RB body kits, rain guards, etc). His name is all spelled out in their character style alphabet so I can't really give you his name, lol. But just look in like the SC300 Mods page, and search for 'sunroof' and you'll see his posts.
Old 04-26-16, 10:28 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yeah, I know who that is. I never could figure out what to refer to him as, either. He's done some real nice body work, but I must have missed his sunroof delete posts.
Old 04-26-16, 11:08 AM
Halon
Racer

haha @ 'either'

I did find that you can email the US guy at Nuttakornkettutat@hotmail.com
Old 04-26-16, 04:49 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
I did find that you can email the US guy at Nuttakornkettutat@hotmail.com
Is that someone else doing a similar thing, or a US distributor for the Artist Formerly Known As guy?
Old 04-26-16, 07:56 PM
Halon
Racer

That email addy is for a guy named Aum. Aum lives in Washington DC. Taiwan Guy who makes the parts will be shipping them to Aum. So if you want any of the parts Taiwan Guy is making, apparently Aum is the guy to talk to.

Long story short, email Aum for info on Tawain Guy's parts.
Old 06-02-16, 11:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^ Aum apparently doesn't answer emails...

This isn't weight reduction per se, but it could be a useful bit of information in that direction. I chopped up a cruddy driver's seat and freed up just the lower rails with the mounting feet, for adapting another seat, and they weighed in at 3 lb 10 oz. By comparison, I've seen the SC/Supra bracket/base listed at 8.1 lb, although that might be shipping weight. So, if the width of your target seat matches that of the SC rails, you could perhaps save ~4 lbs by mounting it straight to them. In my case, the seat I'll be mounting to them has rails within 1/16" of the SC's width.

Old 06-03-16, 07:32 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

ive got no response from the sunroof plug guy unfortunately..has he posted anything on FB?
Old 06-03-16, 04:21 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Find a good body shop guy that will tack you in a thin steel panel and spray the top like i did. Done and over in 2 days.

Quick Reply: SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet