Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New 2 the board and pulling a swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-04, 10:29 PM
vududoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see this is alot of contradiction.....more upgrades for a previous gen yet VVTI being better......it makes it hard cause i have both engines comming. now plug and play......i think that will be a determining factor.
Old 10-15-04, 12:31 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Theres stuff out there for them, you just have to find it. I mean, the only difference between the two is the bolt patterns and you can easily find a header with the VVTI pattern. I dont know anyone that manufacturers the intake mani so that going to be custom anyways. The AEM EMS or the Power FC can be used with VVTI also
Old 10-15-04, 06:40 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

I found this for the 1jz

The first turbo kit listed. Hell of a price too!

http://www.garagedynamics.com/produc...id=4&cat_id=18
Old 03-01-05, 08:22 AM
vududoc
Rookie

started last week and settled her all in the engine bay.
Now im dealing with the wiring issues. doing a full write up for those who want to do this.
anyone can help with the wiring please do....
it is very straight forward...i may have logged about 8-9 hours so far. and the motor is in.
POints of pain in the A$$ were mounting of the engine back on the bar.......Hint: remove mount next to PS rack. LOAD LEVELER A MUST WHEN DOIN THIS BY YOURSELF!.......damn motor is heavy and likes to list to one side.
Attached Thumbnails New 2 the board and pulling a swap-vvti-in-sc300.jpg  
Old 03-13-05, 10:29 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

Default swap

looks good any updates??
Old 03-14-05, 09:12 AM
vududoc
Rookie

ive been down with the flu for quite a few days so i wasnt able to do much of anything. this week i have to work double time to finish the project :P so i wont be on much.

i did though spend more time on the wiring reviewing it and trying to see whats up.
since i dont have TRC and TEMS i have been wondering how UScars react if the system isnt working....anyone having that info please call. or a 92 SC300 manual.....i dont believe mine will get here in time.

Last edited by vududoc; 03-14-05 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-15-05, 04:21 PM
vududoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by vududoc
ive been down with the flu for quite a few days so i wasnt able to do much of anything. this week i have to work double time to finish the project :P so i wont be on much.

i did though spend more time on the wiring reviewing it and trying to see whats up.
since i dont have TRC and TEMS i have been wondering how UScars react if the system isnt working....anyone having that info please call. or a 92 SC300 manual.....i dont believe mine will get here in time.
will the person with the tach problems please call me ...i have some good news.
Also the person with the auto to manual swap 360-981-0918.
Old 03-15-05, 06:06 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post the tach solution for all to have!
Old 03-21-05, 09:23 AM
vududoc
Rookie

depends on the application. tach info though is derived from the ignitor direct and traced back a ways to 14 pin plug on the soarer/SC. they are the same location. So for GS guys swapping a soarer disconnect AT THE PLUG and carry over to interface with your tach pin.

Now in specifics on voltage between the digital dash and the analog dash im still working on.
i have a digital dash id like to plop in on my sc...so im cheking all that out.

BTW the SC has an oil level indicator...JDM doesnt from what im looking at...oh well means i have to check the dipstick lol.
Old 03-21-05, 11:39 PM
vududoc
Rookie

She is done and fired up without a hitch . i could have done it faster but the wiring ate most of the time and i was just lazy. the actual work hours was about 20-25 hours i think the engine swaping took bout 8 solid hours. thank you to those who helped
Old 03-22-05, 03:40 AM
Sil.n.Ex
Driver School Candidate

Congrats to you! Which engine did you end up going with? What did you do with all those clips lyeing around! Lol. Alot of people say they do it, but never follow through so made props on not just doing it, but updating your months old thread witht he results. We hope to hear whatever else you can say about the documenting you did as I have yet to run into a decent 1jz swap guide. Will your docs be available anytime soon btw? Again, mad props and keep us lexus enthusiasts updated!
Old 03-22-05, 10:56 AM
vududoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sil.n.Ex
Congrats to you! Which engine did you end up going with? What did you do with all those clips lying around! Lol. Alot of people say they do it, but never follow through so made props on not just doing it, but updating your months old thread witht he results. We hope to hear whatever else you can say about the documenting you did as I have yet to run into a decent 1jz swap guide. Will your docs be available anytime soon btw? Again, mad props and keep us lexus enthusiasts updated!
Thank you for the props. I am one who follows through on wat i say. this one had to be done as i left myself w/o a show car from my previous rb powered sil80.

I did the VVTI motor swap and the regular 1jzgte's stayed in my warehouse. I had taken longer as i documented everything with pics and translation of pinouts. it still is a rather indepth swap but fairly straight forward.

SC400 will be quite a bit different. the 2j to 1j though was very similar though. i want to get her driving around to see if there are any inconsistencies so i can readily have the trouble shoot available.

i will revise my posts and put up a new thread that way no one has to search the whole thread. thanks again ...and if you are ever in washington hit me up to see it. i will be at some washington, oregon, and canada shows.

BTW anyone in need of a 2jzge 5sp total conversion let me know as now i dont need my engine for stand by .
Old 03-22-05, 06:42 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sc300 wiring

looks like you are well on your way. Too bad your wiring corrections to the engine harness/Lexus weren't done BEFORE setting the engine in. I've done it that way too, and spent many hours laying on my back in the passenger foot well! Good luck with it... looking forward to seeing the final rresults.
Old 03-23-05, 12:29 PM
vududoc
Rookie

actually i layed the engine in and went with a 25" extension on plugs connecting to the JB. the ECU plugs and TC ecu had enough length....plus i didnt want to fool the knock sensor wires. Since the car is floating i have easy access to the wiring.

The car is done and really the only things left for me to do is put the crappy plastic on and decide on how low i want to set my coils. plus gotta get a vid cam
Old 03-23-05, 09:33 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We want a walk through! We want a walk through!

Congrats on finishing the swap, cant wait to hear some more in depth info and tips!

Quick Reply: New 2 the board and pulling a swap