Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1uz-fe needs a kick!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 06:29 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

None of those cars mentione ( WRX and Evo ) are even worth driving in my opinion.... 2 fast, extremely fast Geo metro's.... better body...but same class of car.

The SC400 is a luxury coupe with decent performance, unlimited class, and style. I'll take above avg performance for a car 7 years old and have the latter, than a new car,.. who is fast as hell and lacks everything else.

A chick ( 99% of them ) is not gonna be like... " oh mom,... he drives the fastest Evo ever"... hell, mom will be like,.. what tha hell is that,... stay away from him,.. and direct her daughter to the nearest neighbor's kid with a lex coupe... ( he looks like he has a future )

Respect the SC400 for what it is.....
Old 10-12-04, 07:49 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and direct her daughter to the nearest neighbor's kid with a lex coupe
That is funny as hell...
Old 10-12-04, 08:08 AM
dean s
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

well hell.if thats the case none of us lexus owners stand a chance ! I've never seen seen a chick that does what her mother ever suggests :
Old 10-12-04, 12:05 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dean s
well hell.if thats the case none of us lexus owners stand a chance ! I've never seen seen a chick that does what her mother ever suggests :
If the mom is hot, go for the mom.
Old 10-12-04, 01:21 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by verylost
If the mom is hot, go for the mom.

MILF!
Old 10-12-04, 04:24 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

hey vssc400

Did you put in a walbro 255 pump? and why is the stock fuel pump not capable of deliverting enough fuel pressure for 210hp? I'm asking becuase i have one laying around, and I was thinking of putting it to good use. So far i have bfi, exhuast, plugs, and i'm thinking about Safc-2 or a map ecu... on a 95 i dont have to worry about re-learning issues. but those are impressive gains out of the APEXi unit. is it hard to tune?
Old 10-13-04, 05:30 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes. I have walbro 255 pump. I put it in because my stock pump went dead and it was cheaper to get the walbro then the factory replacement at the time.

the S-AFC should be tuned by a pro. It was $150 for 3 dyno runs and tune. Get it done by a pro.

Originally posted by UpInTheLex
hey vssc400

Did you put in a walbro 255 pump? and why is the stock fuel pump not capable of deliverting enough fuel pressure for 210hp? I'm asking becuase i have one laying around, and I was thinking of putting it to good use. So far i have bfi, exhuast, plugs, and i'm thinking about Safc-2 or a map ecu... on a 95 i dont have to worry about re-learning issues. but those are impressive gains out of the APEXi unit. is it hard to tune?
Old 10-14-04, 03:44 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally posted by verylost
Even with all the mods I have done, I agree that the sc400 is a slow car. With the introduction of Evo's and WRX's, it has been much easier for everyone to own a well handling, well powered, and easily moddable car.

Choose wisely before you pick the vehicle. It is very importand to know what do you want before buying the car.
Obviesly it is somehow crazy choice to pick SC400 to compete ageinst WRX cars!
You do not have to look far for much better vehicle to do that. SC300 with manual tranny.
With all the Supra stock and aftermarket parts 300 turns into supercar quite easly.

SC400 is a luxury cruiser. Buy it if you look for luxury cruiser. You can`t beat SC400 for what it was intended to be.
Talk bout mild modifications aviable is very interesting as long as we understand that goal is to refresh 12years old approach and bring the car up to date in its class. To make it supercar? please get more suitable one!

We all know here what need to be done to SC400, but don`t see anybody doing it.
Rebore to 4.7l, supercharge, convert to manual getrag, lsd, headers and we have instant killer.
But why to do it to SC4 if you can get there SC3 for fraction of the cost?

Last edited by EUROJulian; 10-14-04 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 04:33 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I've owned my car for around three years now, and have been carefull about what I've done to improve the performance, but after doing a bunch of little stuff to the engine/fuel injection, the car will now easily take on pre 2K M3s on the freeway.Pretty amusing too, the "tricked out" ones are the funnest to race, the bolt ons probably making their cars slower w/out proper tuning I can only guess. Also hung with a Mustang SVT also until he backed off, and things were going well.
There's a tunnel here in Seattle, 99 Southbound,has a straight section between two curves where I used to only be able and do 85-90 with some basic mods, but now I'm up to 100+ with the same tires.
Don't under estimate these cars, just hope that your desire for a fast one doesn't overcome your skills in tuning, or you will wind up with a slower car/bad gas mileage.
Old 10-15-04, 01:01 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Choose wisely before you pick the vehicle. It is very importand to know what do you want before buying the car.
Obviesly it is somehow crazy choice to pick SC400 to compete ageinst WRX cars!
You do not have to look far for much better vehicle to do that. SC300 with manual tranny.
With all the Supra stock and aftermarket parts 300 turns into supercar quite easly.

SC400 is a luxury cruiser. Buy it if you look for luxury cruiser. You can`t beat SC400 for what it was intended to be.
Talk bout mild modifications aviable is very interesting as long as we understand that goal is to refresh 12years old approach and bring the car up to date in its class. To make it supercar? please get more suitable one!

We all know here what need to be done to SC400, but don`t see anybody doing it.
Rebore to 4.7l, supercharge, convert to manual getrag, lsd, headers and we have instant killer.
But why to do it to SC4 if you can get there SC3 for fraction of the cost?
Modding the sc400 wasn't really a personal preference. It was just natural for me. All my life I have tried to improve anything I got my hands on. It didn't matter if it was my bike, computer, etc. I was always curious enough to do it.

I also look forward to a challenge. The sc400 is certainly a challenge. I offer my warnings to new members here thinking they can make a sc400 fast for cheap. In all honesty, the sc400 is a fun car to mod, but it does get expensive.
Old 10-15-04, 05:01 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

I chose a 400 due to having a v8. I have owned many turbocharged sixes..my m3 and 2 300zx TT. Both are heavily modified and i was sick of the lag. I plan to supercharge this v8 once a viable kit comes out. I already have nitrous on it just for ricers who challenge me all the time. Its definately not cheap to mod the 400 but check out lextremes turbo v8..kit cost just as much as the sc300 single turbo kits out there if you your a do it yourselfer.
Old 01-10-05, 07:21 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Default mods

Originally Posted by verylost
If you want some insight into performance, do a search for Vssc400, verylost, or Jim Mead. Between the 3 of us, we have "almost" every performance mod done short of FI. and spray.

Ok so what do you have? Just wanted to confirm... I have a 93' SC4.. I found a 4.27 LSD and ordered the high stall TC already.

What other mods did you guys do? I saw he had fuel pump, but not sure what for if he's not FI. I have been talking to lextreme a little.

Did you find a shift kit? I want to find a shift kit made in the US and a tranny cooler.

What ECU programming is worth getting? lexuspros' the only people or are there others? I'd like the ECU reprogrammed for a good non-FI setting eventually.

Should I try and track down headers or is it a PITA? I'll pay the $550 or whatever they are to get them from AU, not sure what shipping is, or can I have them made here? I want to wait before doing my whole exhaust.
Old 01-10-05, 08:14 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

As for power mods, I have Tex's headers, full exhaust (2.5 w/ x pipe, sometimes cats and sometimes no cats), PI TC and de snorkled intake. With these mods, I ran a 15 flat in 1/4 on a 90 degree day with no traction at launch. My stock times were a 15.8 on cool 60 degree night with traction,

Since then, I have a 4.10 lsd that has yet to be installed and on the prowl for a reasonably priced safc. These two mods I am 100% sure I want to do.

As for future mods, I would like to take a crack at a shift kit, SC from AUS, or manual conversion. However, my time is limited so I don;t have the luxury of doing research about these projects.

As for pre programmed ecu's, I am not a big fan. I know what I want to do with my car so I want the convenience of being able to reprogram the ECU when needed.

And don't forget there are a ton of handling mods you can do, daizen sway bars, bushings, coilovers, widers rims, etc.

As for Vssc400's fuel pump, I don't think he did it for performance. His old fuel pump went bad and he upgraded to walbro either beause he had it lying around or it was cheap.
Old 01-10-05, 08:19 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Where did the headers come from? How do they work on the US model?

Ok so your doing the s-afc, thats what I wanted to know, verus programming, I finished suspension so I'm looking into the LSD and the Hi stall TC, which I found both. After I should do a BFI and the apexi s-afc, thats the gameplan right now.

Yeah I found the shift kit in the US I posted in the other forum, US places will do it for about $495, I called one place today, he does them all day long for supercharged tundra's, new valve body for the tranny.

Last edited by sourcemine; 01-10-05 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-10-05, 08:27 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sourcemine
Where did the headers come from? How do they work on the US model?

Ok so your doing the s-afc, thats what I wanted to know, verus programming, I finished suspension so I'm looking into the LSD and the Hi stall TC, which I found both. After I should do a BFI and the apexi s-afc, thats the gameplan right now.

Yeah I found the shift kit in the US I posted in the other forum, US places will do it for about $495, I called one place today, he does them all day long for supercharged tundra's, new valve body for the tranny.

I got the headers off Madmax from this forum a long long time ago. If you want to get a set, you'll have to start asking around in the AUS forums (ALSC). Acoording to my mechanic, he said the headers were a pain to install since he had to custom fit the EGR port. Do a search for my posts. There are pics of the headers and of them installed. I am happy with the headers. I have lost some low end torque but the high end is stronger from the butt meter and the increase in trap speed shows the headers are doing something.