Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1uz-fe needs a kick!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 06:27 PM
dean s
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1uz-fe needs a kick!

hey guys ,gals ,whoever?? my sc400 just doesn't seeem to "me" to have the get up and go it should have being its a v8 I've been expecting a bigger run for the money!! Ive had the car for about a year and I'm still looking for some horse power !.any one with an idea cause I love this car but I really need the feeling of boost if you know what I mean...but I really don't have the inclination to install a turbo or nitrus.
Old 10-07-04, 07:43 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you had a full tune up of the engine? Changed everything that needs to be done? Repalced fluids and filters etc?

After all that, if you still don't feel it... go out and buy yourself a supercharger
Old 10-07-04, 07:47 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 words - Dragon torque converter!
Old 10-07-04, 08:50 PM
dean s
Driver

does the Dragon torque converter really help it hook up ?
and hey what HD you ridin man?
Old 10-07-04, 11:14 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dean s
The PI TC doesn't really help you hook up It helps you smoke the tires As a first mod, I would highly recommend the PI TC. However, it won't help you at all on highway pulls.
Old 10-08-04, 02:20 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Well... if you have an early 90's 250 hp SC, it was never a fast car to begin with.

Without getting an LSD, I don't see the TC being very effective.
In addition, these are not the cheapest mods you can find.

Since you've been here for about a year, I'm sure you came across few threads regarding BFI mods. Try looking into doing DIY on those. Then get your exhaust done with new tubing, high flow cat, custom x-pipe, removed resonator. Later on, with a SAFC you should be able to squeeze out another couple of hps.
Old 10-08-04, 06:37 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
Well... if you have an early 90's 250 hp SC, it was never a fast car to begin with.

Without getting an LSD, I don't see the TC being very effective.
In addition, these are not the cheapest mods you can find.

Since you've been here for about a year, I'm sure you came across few threads regarding BFI mods. Try looking into doing DIY on those. Then get your exhaust done with new tubing, high flow cat, custom x-pipe, removed resonator. Later on, with a SAFC you should be able to squeeze out another couple of hps.
The TC is pretty effective even w/o a LSD. With headers, exhaust, and TC, I cut off about 0.8 seconds on my 1/4 time.
Old 10-08-04, 06:42 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went from 180rwhp and 200rwtq to 210rwhp and 230rwtq with S-AFC, exhaust, fuel pump and cutout airbox

I also went to 4.27gear LSD from 3.92 open diff. huge difference.
Old 10-08-04, 07:32 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by dean s
I have not yet put the dragon torque converter in my sc400 (Very soon) but a friend of mine has. It is like driving a totally different car. It took nearly a second off his ¼ mile ET! And yes the tires can boil! As far as improving the off the line performance goes, you can’t get more bang for your buck (anyone correct me if I’m wrong). Really when you think about it what other bolt on mod for $700 is going to take a second off your ET?

My HD is a 1940 Knuckle Head, Picture below is a little old, the exhaust, air cleaner, and other slight changes have been made. This picture was taken for the June of 94 issue of Easyrider mag. Since then it’s only got better. It is stroked out to 88 CI, I installed 1 15/16” Big block Chevy valves, and put on a different carb. I pretty much made every thing for it in my shop, from the forward controls to the rear fender and tons of other items. I do my own machining, welding, painting, wrenching, and upholstery. I could post some current pics if you’re interested.

My second HD is a 1938 flat head that is in process, I love the old Iron!

Good luck on your car!
Attached Thumbnails 1uz-fe needs a kick!-1940.jpg  
Old 10-08-04, 07:59 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally posted by ChronoJ1

Say WHAT!?!? Any SC400 is fast car. 0-60 in 6.9 seconds is very quick and can thrill about 95% of the population... I easily have the fastest car out of most of the people I know.

As said, tune up completely, and remove your spare tire!
Old 10-08-04, 08:25 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Say WHAT!?!? Any SC400 is fast car. 0-60 in 6.9 seconds is very quick and can thrill about 95% of the population... I easily have the fastest car out of most of the people I know.

As said, tune up completely, and remove your spare tire!
Even with all the mods I have done, I agree that the sc400 is a slow car. With the introduction of Evo's and WRX's, it has been much easier for everyone to own a well handling, well powered, and easily moddable car.

I have no regrets about the mods I have done, but some days I wonder why I am trying to get my car to run 1/4 mile times that these other cars run stock.

Last edited by verylost; 10-08-04 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 08:27 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by verylost
Even with all the mods I have done, I agree that the sc400 is a slow car. With the introduction of Evo's and WRX's, it has been much easier for everyone to own a well handling, well powered, and easily moddable car.

I have no regrets about the mods I have done, but some days I wonder why I am trying to get my car to run 1/4 mile times that these other cars run stock.
ditto
Old 10-08-04, 12:28 PM
dean s
Driver

Talking

I hear you guys but hey I just want my sc to get up and go when I put it to the floor,its really no big deal that some one can get there before me,just as long as I get there in style on time or faster and I'll enjoy my sc just fine.....
thanx for the input!
Dean
Old 10-08-04, 03:44 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

If you want some insight into performance, do a search for Vssc400, verylost, or Jim Mead. Between the 3 of us, we have "almost" every performance mod done short of FI. and spray.
Old 10-12-04, 05:05 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Man the lexus isn't even in the league of the mentioned cars (wrx, evo)..those are turbocharged rally cars. But for the segment the sc400 is in its not a slug. My Dad has an auto g35 coupe (which would be in the same league) and he is just a little faster (2 cars to 0-60). And if an evo does appear i have a little surprise to at least keep up w/ most of the mildly modded ones.

Quick Reply: 1uz-fe needs a kick!