Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Starter Solenoid Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-04, 11:22 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DIY Starter Solenoid Repair

I'm sure many of you have at one point turned the key to START and heard nothing but a click.
9 times out of 10, this means the contacts on the starter solenoid are going out.
Most people just go out and get a new starter, but for under $20, this problem can be fixed DIY style.

I came across a great website that hasn't been mentioned on CL.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml (Roger Brown is the owner)
This guy is in California but ships the contacts for ~$5/piece

For those of you who do not trust anyone but the dealer, here are the Toyota part #s for the replacement contacts on a non-turbo Supra starter:
Motor side contact: 28226-22050
Battery side contact: 28226-74070 (This one is usually the culprit)

I called the Lexus dealer, and they told me they don't sell the contacts for our cars.
They did however offer me a remanufactured starter for only $271

That's all folks!

~Alan
Old 10-12-04, 03:16 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup I remembered that link back from when I was doing my start contacts. Great site, very informative. If you have the time to wait for this guy to ship them out, I guess I would go for them. The contacts from Toyota are only $30 for both and they come with all the little extra things you might wanna replace while you're in there

Good luck to anyone looking to do the contacts, they can be an absolute pain without an impact socket wrench with a ton of extensions (to drop the starter).
Old 10-13-04, 05:51 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do u have a write up on how u guys pulled the starter? Would be greatly appreciated,

jonny
Old 10-13-04, 06:55 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Here, this is what I wrote to lawman when he asked me how to do it:

To remove it, you will most likely need air tools. But if you are doing it by hand, then you may be able to do it, it will just be very hard to get leverage on the upper bolt. To remove the starter, you need to jack up the front of the car (or ramp it up), and slide under. Also, dont forget to disconnect the battery...Once your under the car, look near where the tranny meets the engine, and will soon find the starter. You need to disconnect an electrical connection, then unbolt a bolt and remove the wire that the bolt was securing. Now there are 2 more bolts left, they are both 14mm. You will need a wobble extension, a 6" extension, a 14mm socket, and of course a socket wrench (or hopefully an air socket wrench) to get the top bolt. The lower bolt isnt hard at all, you can easily get it by hand, its just alot of turning. After getting the starter out, you will need to unscrew 2 screws (if I remeber correctly), and then you will have access to the contacts. These are easy to replace. Once the new ones are bolted in, clean up everything, and have fun bolting the starter back up. You will need to get a "battery side starter contact rebuild kit" and a "motor side starter contact rebuild kit" from Toyota, should run you about $30.

Good luck, and any more questions, feel free to ask

There you go
Old 10-13-04, 07:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Aerostar,

U da man, thanks dawg! So will it really take 4+ hours?

Jonny
Old 10-13-04, 07:49 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

No prob man. As for the time it takes, it really depends. With my air tools and me already having done it, I could this job in less than an hour. However, without air tools and it being youre first time, it could very well take you 4+ hours (most of that time struggling to remove the starter). Now if you have air tools, you should be able to do it in tless than 2 hours.

Good luuck man, and if you need any help, dont hesitate to post or PM me

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 10-13-04 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 07:58 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
No prob man. As for the time it takes, it really depends. With my air tools and me already having done it, I could this job in less than an hour. However, without air tools and it being youre first time, it could very well take you 4+ hours (most of that time struggling to remove the starter). Now if you have air tools, you should be able to do it in tless than 2 hours.

Good luuck man, and if you need any help, dont hesitate to post or PM me
If I can get the car over to my mechanics then I will have airtools - if not good old fashioned sweat and tears!!! Not to mention excessive swearing and screaming!!

Thx again,

Peace,

jonny
Old 10-14-04, 09:54 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

EDIT: Just read another one of your posts and now know you have a SC400. You can't compresison start a automatic so please ignore all the stuff below. (I'm only leaving it in case someone with a stick ever finds this usefull)
The starter on the SC4 is located in the "valley" of the V8 and is toward the back of the engine.
From what I remember you have to remove a LOT of other stuff to get to the starter.

Not sure if your car is a stick, but if it is you can start it on compression(so you can drive it to your mechanic).
In case you've never done a compression start:
1) Turn the key to ON
2) Roll the car either forward or backward(whichever is easier).....if level ground, have someone push you
3) Press in the clutch and put it in gear (first if going forward, reverse if backward)
4) With the car rolling at about 3-5 mph, quickly drop the clutch (make sure you have enough room to do this as the car will jump)
5) Quickly press in the clutch
6) Your car should be on....if it didn't start either a) Your key wasn't turned to ON or b) You didn't have enough speed.....go back to step 2 and try again.

Good luck.
~Alan

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 10-14-04 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 03:35 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Oh wait, you've got an SC400? Sorry bro, my directions for a 300. I dont know how to do it on an SC400, but Im pretty sure there have been threads about it.

Good luck
Old 10-14-04, 05:23 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Oh wait, you've got an SC400? Sorry bro, my directions for a 300. I dont know how to do it on an SC400, but Im pretty sure there have been threads about it.

Good luck
I have searched like a madman and come up with nothing on how to remove it on the 400. Everyone has asked, but no-one has posted directions to the best of my knowlege - someone please prove me wrong!!

Take care,

jonny
Old 10-15-07, 08:03 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

Hey, Jonny...
check this link out. it doesn't give you step by step instructions.... but, it shows you where the starter is located on an SC400. Have you tried cleaning all the contacts on all the ground wires yet? That's supposed to help and may even keep you from having to take your engine apart. Good luck!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...starter+toyota
Old 10-15-07, 08:13 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stonewis
Hey, Jonny...
check this link out. it doesn't give you step by step instructions.... but, it shows you where the starter is located on an SC400. Have you tried cleaning all the contacts on all the ground wires yet? That's supposed to help and may even keep you from having to take your engine apart. Good luck!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...starter+toyota
Hey man,

Appreciate the help but this was 3 years ago

LOL - thanks anyway,
Jonny
Old 10-15-07, 08:39 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
Hey man,

Appreciate the help but this was 3 years ago

LOL - thanks anyway,
Jonny
Oh, hell! I noticed the date, but not the year! Sheesh, sometimes I'm a dumbass! Lol!
Old 10-15-07, 08:43 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stonewis
Oh, hell! I noticed the date, but not the year! Sheesh, sometimes I'm a dumbass! Lol!
It's all good man - it will help anyone else who has the same problem. Good work

Jonny
Old 10-15-07, 11:24 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
It's all good man - it will help anyone else who has the same problem. Good work

Jonny
Ok, so... did ya have to replace your starter? I am NOT looking forward to ever having to do that myself. I about died when I saw where they put it!

Quick Reply: DIY Starter Solenoid Repair