Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine swap.... do it myself or pay $1000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 10:33 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DX3..... Word of advice would be to analyze your commitment to doing it yourself if going that road.
Treat this project as you would a work related project...Write down the tools required, time involved, space (accomidations required) and your availibility and when you realistically "need" the car on the road..... If you can meet the requirements for the job then give it a try.. if not..then pass

I would love to try this project myself however I know that the time involved exceeds my availabity.

Good luck either way//
Old 10-19-04, 10:40 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Final Advice needed!

Originally posted by Dx3
Idiots ( yes u know who you are ) need not respond.
If the idiots knew who they were, we'd have a lot less worthless posts.

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
KLR, the shop who did mine, put the drive shaft in "upside down"
Doesn't the driveshaft rotate, in which case, how do you put it upside down?

It is true that you have to find a good shop if you're going to trust someone doing open-heart surgery on your SC.
My mechanic is a great guy and has done a full swap for me in 8 days including shipping of the motor in both directions.
He invited me to come take a look inside the engine when he had it apart.

If you decide it's too much work and go looking for a shop, make sure you don't just hand your car to the lowest bidder.
Introduce yourself to some mechanics and chat with them for a while to get a feel for how they operate.
The time you spend doing this will be well worth your while.

Good luck either way you go.
I think we all want to see you back on the road already.

~Alan
Old 10-19-04, 10:47 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Final Advice needed!

Originally posted by SPORTcoupe
Doesn't the driveshaft rotate, in which case, how do you put it upside down?
That's why I put it in quotes and said essentially afterwards... there at yellow lines that line it up and if you don't mark which yellow lines match up to each other, you can install it "upside down" or "backwards" or however else you want to say it. I creats a SEVERE knocking - the tranny physically hits the tranny tunnel if you tap the gas just slightly too hard. It ruined my tranny mounts. I had to take it to a MERCEDES repair shop to have it fixed.

(Love the hot girl qoute in your sig, lol)

At any rate, just be VERY VERY VERY careful at chosing a shop or doing the swap yourself... neither probably need to be said. Good luck!!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-19-04 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 11:50 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

wow man, yeah do it yourself, like CleanSC said - it aint no rocket science, swap is relatively easy, just take it easy on her and i dont know about digital camera, when you are standing there guessing where what goes do you want to grab your camera with greasy hands and search for pics? masking tape worked fine for me, lol
did you find the motor already?
Old 10-20-04, 01:04 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

J, i look at it like this....

Does it run right now? NO, ..... so what do you have to lose?
Old 10-20-04, 04:59 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$1000 is not bad for an engine swap. A shop is always going to give you a low-ball estimate because they want your business. My swap cost about $1900 and took 3 weeks.

Just be wise who you chose to do the swap if you don't do it yourself - KLR, the shop who did mine, put the drive shaft in "upside down", essentially, and left MOTOR MOUNT LOOSE, amongst other things like use the wrong bolts and losing others.

Maybe a dumb question, and a bit off topic but....How do you put a driveshaft in upside down??
Old 10-20-04, 05:09 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

I didnt think you could mount it upside down since the portion that bolts to the diff has to be straight forward and cant bolt in at an angle. I guess Murphy's Law applies here though.
Old 10-20-04, 08:13 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Final Advice needed!

Oh it can be done, lol. It just takes the rigth idiot to do it, like the guys who did mine.

Tthere are yellow lines on each prong of the the u-joint that line it up and if you don't mark which yellow lines match up to each other, you can install it "upside down" or "backwards" or however else you want to say it. I creats a SEVERE knocking - the tranny physically hits the tranny tunnel if you tap the gas just slightly too hard. It ruined my tranny mounts. I had to take it to a MERCEDES repair shop to have it fixed.
I guess upside down wasn't the best term, but I don't know how else to say it.

Just trust me; if you do this, marke clear and distinct marks on each portion of the shaft so that you put it back in in the exact same way.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-20-04 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-20-04, 09:26 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Final Advice needed!

Oh it can be done, lol. It just takes the rigth idiot to do it, like the guys who did mine.

I guess upside down wasn't the best term, but I don't know how else to say it.

Just trust me; if you do this, marke clear and distinct marks on each portion of the shaft so that you put it back in in the exact same way.

I see now!!! Thanks!!!
BTW, Thanks for that incredible write up on speaker replacement. I printed out the entire thread and plan on using all your experience this weekend on some work I'm gonna do!!! CL is the BEST!!!!

Last edited by mkorsu; 10-20-04 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-20-04, 09:29 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to confuse everyone, and to take this so off topic.
(And you're welcome! )
Old 10-20-04, 09:35 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

*LATEST*

My guy who is helping me has done some research at work ( he works for the city repair shop) and they apparently have some info on file about replacing the motor.

How do they have Lexus info you ask?

Well, apparently when the city takes peoples cars away when they are used in drug deals etc. they use a lot of them for undercover cars instead of selling them. Well apparently Lexus is the car of choice for drug dealers!!! So hopefully he will find some good info to help us with the swap.

Peace,

jonny
Old 10-20-04, 04:19 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, apparently when the city takes peoples cars away when they are used in drug deals etc. they use a lot of them for undercover cars instead of selling them. Well apparently Lexus is the car of choice for drug dealers!!! So hopefully he will find some good info to help us with the swap.
That is funny.

Oh, good luck with the swap.

Ed