Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-01, 07:55 AM
sc400nos

Hello all, I have heard several people say several different things about the automatic transmission fluid for the sc400. I am going to be putting in my new torque converter in on Sun. and was wanting some professional opinions on what fluid to use. I would like to use mobil synthetic, but I want to make sure that would be ok to use.

Thanks,
Old 04-27-01, 03:51 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

DO NOT USE mobil synthetic.

Use only toyota approved Type IV transmission fluid. This fluid has special detergents and other agents that are much more sophisticated than any other fluid out there. Also it is not too expensive considering it is already a high performance fluid. You can get a 1 gallon jug for about $20.00 your tranny (since torque converter was out) will need about 6-7 quarts. I recommend to flush out the system before putting in the new fluid.

Mind
Old 04-28-01, 11:27 PM
sc400nos

Default overfilling

Does anyone know what happens when you overfill the lexus 4 speed transmissions. I am having a few problems with it shifting and I think it is to full.

Thanks
Old 04-29-01, 08:46 AM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default fluid

Did you use MObil 1?

IF so that is probably your reason. I put dextron in a ES250 i wholesaled, it shifted horrible!!

Also, maybe the computer is trying to figure out why your lock up speeds are higher?? New Dragon TC.

Scott
Old 04-29-01, 12:54 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default is the Transmission cable adjusted?

maybe you got your passing gear cable adjusted incorrectly...what exactly is it doing? slipping, making weird noises, shifting late, early...please explain maybe I can be of some help..if it's filled too much drain and check...but I doubt this is the problem..maybe you got too little fluid which would be more of a problem
Old 04-30-01, 08:17 AM
sc400nos

ok, when I first started the car everything was great, it shifted fine. I did't drive it because I had not filled it all the way up with fluid. I had about 5 qts. in it when I started it for the first time. I then turned it off and put about 2 more in for a total of 7. I then started it back up, but it would not shift at all, then it started to leack around the pan seal and it showed that it was way to full on the dipstick. I thought that I had overfilled it some how so I drained about 3 qts. to see what would happen. It still won't go into gear. I have checked all of the electrical connections.

Any help would be great.
Old 05-01-01, 04:28 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Default sc400nos...email address please?

Hey there SC400NOS...I also have a 93 SC400 and would LOVE to NOS it!

Could you please email me your address so we can chat? I'd love to talk a bit with you about your install before I get it.

You can either write me at "whitmanpc1@mediaone.net" or respond here.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-01-01, 07:33 AM
sc400nos

My address is: edwarts@wku.edu.

Later
Old 01-05-05, 10:43 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid

I was told by the Lexus Service Manager to never flush the transmission, just drain the fluid every 30,000 miles and top off with new fluid. Also one Toyota dealer service manager told me the same thing. An independent garage owner told me the same thing.
Another Toyota dealer service manager told me to definitely flush the transmission every 30,000 miles.
The Lexus SM told me the only time the fluid would require being flushed completely is when the transmission needed repairs.

So there you have it folks!

Ask one, they tell you one thing..... ask another they tell you something different.
Old 01-06-05, 04:18 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought it takes dextron....does it *NEED* T-IV from toyota?
Old 01-06-05, 06:04 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Default Confused ?????

Read this discussion from "maintenance" forum also.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145658

Wow, I am confused now.

"completely Flush" or "just drain & refill" ???

Complete flushing seems better to me for making the tranny runs smoother. But, some people do not think that way.

From other forum
It is better to just leave the damn old fluid in there then just draining and filling. The new fluid can loosen deposited sludge in the transmission which is very bad. You are better off getting it flushed every 30K. They dont use tranny fluid to flush it, they use some liquid to emulsify the sludge and recondition the seals in the transmission to prevent internal leaks which cause delayed shifts and slamming into gears. Flushing also gets all the fluid out of the torque convertor and other areas, draining the fluid from the pan only gets about 1/3 the fluid out, those clutch packs are soaked in fluid. The ECT-i is a pretty complicated transmission, take good care of it and it will take care of you .

Last edited by techsc400; 01-06-05 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-06-05, 11:16 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The older SC300 takes Dexron-II. The later models (with ECT-i) may be different, I don't know. The SC400 has always taken Toyota Type-IV fluid. You need to use the correct fluid in each transmission.
Old 01-07-05, 03:57 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Holy thread resurrection Bat Man! This thread is from 2001!
Old 01-12-05, 09:49 AM
rad5446
Driver School Candidate

Default rad5446

I have a 1992 SC-400. the manual calls for Type T-II fluid. Are you sure Toyota TIV is ok?

Appreciate the help.

RAD
Old 01-12-05, 09:54 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rad5446
I have a 1992 SC-400. the manual calls for Type T-II fluid. Are you sure Toyota TIV is ok?

Appreciate the help.

RAD
Use only Toyota type IV fluid.

my dipstick even says T-II but that is not the fluid you should be using only use toyota type IV

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Fluid