Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed flex a lite fans *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04 | 05:04 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by siaxazn
how is this done? do u just cut a hole in the rubber pipe and stick in the thermostat? or is there another way?
I'm still looking for a place to put my aftermarket thermostat. cutting a hole in the rubber piping between the radiator cap and oem thermostat seams like the most logical thing to do as i dont see anywhere i can place it in the head. I'm just affraid it may leak or if the rubber expands it may fall out. I know people have installed a thermostat relay for this before so please let me know where you put it as specific as possible. I plan to put this in tomorrow as the winter is comming around and its getting quite cold and it takes forever for the engine to warm up with the fans on.

also it would be great if someone can point me to a 12v ign switch wire inside the engine bay.

im also excite about getting rid of the vibrations since my new balanced fan blades have come in from flex a lite
Old 11-18-04 | 05:07 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

why dont you tap into the pipe that connects the head to the water pump, the pipe is located underneath the distributor.
Old 11-19-04 | 01:52 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i just wedged mine into the opening of the radiator and pipe... used a thin piece of rubber to make somewhat of a gasket and used an extra clamp to keep it still. Works perfectly fine for me

and yes i would like to know a 12v ign wire in the engine bay also
Old 11-19-04 | 04:27 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ummagawd
i just wedged mine into the opening of the radiator and pipe... used a thin piece of rubber to make somewhat of a gasket and used an extra clamp to keep it still. Works perfectly fine for me

and yes i would like to know a 12v ign wire in the engine bay also
wedge the thermostat between the radator pipe where the rubber hose goes on it?

im not really picturing what your saying. It seams my thermstat seams to be a bit large to wedge there at least the screw in part. probably only the tip would fit. Can you describe this better if possible or better yet pics!

Im really tempted to just cut a small hole in the upper rubber hose and wedge it in there as best i can and hope it will stay and not leak. It would be more secure if i placed it in the metal pipe connected to the engine yet i see no way to easily make a hole in that.
Old 11-19-04 | 05:03 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

no way to easily make a hole in that.
drill
Old 11-19-04 | 06:36 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by aliga
drill
good suggestion, but drilling through a pipe seams tough it was hard enough drilling holes in my trunk. and it seams like a pain just removing it from the engine if it does remove. also i dont think the pipe is wide enough in diameter to fit the thermostat i have. it looks like it would fit perfectly into the large rubber hose though.
Old 11-19-04 | 09:03 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

the pipe can be removed in less than 5 minutes.
Old 11-27-04 | 10:37 AM
Vitmn R
Rookie

I am considering doing some Flex a lite fans on my car.. I have heard many accounts of 5-15whp from doing it. Anyone notice a difference after doing the fans? Please let me know. Also whats the best fans to use.. I have only been able to find a kit for N/A Supra's which I know will work on the SC's..
Kevin
Old 11-27-04 | 03:07 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

honestly... the only difference i felt was that it was slightly easier to rev... but under load... the difference was quite minimal....
Old 11-27-04 | 07:45 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

honestly... the only difference i felt was that it was slightly easier to rev... but under load... the difference was quite minimal....
i must agree there isnt that big of a difference i would say 5hp at most. But at least it looks nice giving the engine bay a more hightech look and it sure does a good job in clearing up the engine bay.

you should get the flex a lite 210's or 220's I dont really know about other electric fans but most people go with these. Just be warned that the fan blades are unbalanced and will cause slight vibration during idle you must contact fal to have them send you free replacement balanced blades and then its all good.
Old 11-27-04 | 07:50 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

dang... can anyone confirm?

i'm really trying to avoid running a wire through the firewall (MAJOR PITA) for a switched signal for my fan box relay.
after having one of my connections go loose causing the fans to stop and causing the car to overheat. I decided to search for a 12v power source in the engine bay and i have found one after searching around with my test probe.

I just tapped into the black and red wire on the igniter on the drivers side. also the white and black wire works as well. seams like a good spot sinces its far from any heat so you wont risk burning the wires.
Old 11-28-04 | 11:59 PM
convoy
Pole Position

the after-market fans look awesome siaxazn. great investment! i might have to get me a set.
Old 11-29-04 | 01:16 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

thanks... i'll go with the ignitor wires!