Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Unsightly shifter in older SCs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-04, 08:35 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i was looking at those shifts *****, personally i like the wood one. But it seems like it wouldn't fit, but they say they sell one for our car, so i am thinking about getting it.
Old 11-04-04, 08:41 PM
japSW20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by laxdude362
yeah i was looking at those shifts *****, personally i like the wood one. But it seems like it wouldn't fit, but they say they sell one for our car, so i am thinking about getting it.
If you do,tell me how it goes,I was going to start disasembling my shifter but the mosquitos were killing me so ill do it tomorow.
Old 11-04-04, 08:56 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by japSW20
If you do,tell me how it goes,I was going to start disasembling my shifter but the mosquitos were killing me so ill do it tomorow.
if you figure out how to do this mod you will make thousands of people happy!....hehe

CEO
Old 11-04-04, 09:01 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd love to get that TRD shifter, but it doesn't look like it will fit onto a 91~97 shifter?

Oh yeah, that and a TRD steering wheel
Old 11-05-04, 07:23 AM
cgbaby
Driver School Candidate

You could tell that I love wood pieces on the car. Although it took me a while to figure it out, doing the mod really is simple. Like I said before, there are a couple of switches/sensors there on the bottom of the shifter. One is getting out of park. Even if you push the button down on the shifter, you'll need to hit your brakes to get out of park. Another is the reverse one. When you go back to park, the shifter shaft will push this lever that will activate a switch so that you can take out your keys. If I have to do it again, I think I can figure out a way that I don't have to install a servo. Just modify what's in there now.

My only regrets. I did too much wood. I should have been more restrained on the center console wood kit. Everything else; the wood steering wheel, the wood parking handle, and now the wood shifter ****, I love it!!! I even installed a Momo aluminum door sill on top of the old one.
Old 11-05-04, 07:50 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by cgbaby
You could tell that I love wood pieces on the car. Although it took me a while to figure it out, doing the mod really is simple. Like I said before, there are a couple of switches/sensors there on the bottom of the shifter. One is getting out of park. Even if you push the button down on the shifter, you'll need to hit your brakes to get out of park. Another is the reverse one. When you go back to park, the shifter shaft will push this lever that will activate a switch so that you can take out your keys. If I have to do it again, I think I can figure out a way that I don't have to install a servo. Just modify what's in there now.

My only regrets. I did too much wood. I should have been more restrained on the center console wood kit. Everything else; the wood steering wheel, the wood parking handle, and now the wood shifter ****, I love it!!! I even installed a Momo aluminum door sill on top of the old one.
ahhhh...the momo one i understand...but i was refering to the OEM sc400 one...that is the one i want to put in my baby...

CEO

Last edited by THE_CEO; 11-05-04 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-06-04, 08:44 AM
japSW20
Driver School Candidate

Well I took apart my shifter and you people make it sound 10x harders,My plan is to relocate the OD button which is pretty easy(2 wires)Then buy a ****,Still undecided but heres how it will work,to secure the **** I will find a way to have it move up and down,so to take it out of park you push the entire downward,I will take pictures as of the process as soon as i get my hand on a ****
Old 11-06-04, 09:46 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought the shifter would look 10x better if it was just shorter.
Old 11-23-04, 08:35 PM
blkonblk
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by japSW20
Well I took apart my shifter and you people make it sound 10x harders,My plan is to relocate the OD button which is pretty easy(2 wires)Then buy a ****,Still undecided but heres how it will work,to secure the **** I will find a way to have it move up and down,so to take it out of park you push the entire downward,I will take pictures as of the process as soon as i get my hand on a ****

I was thinking there has to be a way to do this, incorporating the mechanism that the Acura RL has in it's shifter (in the Acura if I remember correctly, to shift from neutral to reverse you push down on the ****). I would think this concept could be implemented into the SC.
Old 11-23-04, 08:44 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by blkonblk
I was thinking there has to be a way to do this, incorporating the mechanism that the Acura RL has in it's shifter (in the Acura if I remember correctly, to shift from neutral to reverse you push down on the ****). I would think this concept could be implemented into the SC.
im sure its possible but i guess someone has to attempt to do it first...

CEO
Old 11-23-04, 08:58 PM
blkonblk
Driver School Candidate

I'd do it in a second if I actually had my car....soon

Here are some images of the RL's gated shifter for your viewing pleasure

http://www.yourbigfun.net/rl/chrome/pages/P1010016.htm

Thank the Honda/Acura forums for that link. Anyone wanna step up and give it a go?
Old 11-23-04, 09:05 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by blkonblk
I'd do it in a second if I actually had my car....soon

Here are some images of the RL's gated shifter for your viewing pleasure

http://www.yourbigfun.net/rl/chrome/pages/P1010016.htm

Thank the Honda/Acura forums for that link. Anyone wanna step up and give it a go?
That wont work. Our shiftknob bases dont look like that. And our shifter plate is bigger than that.
Old 11-24-04, 11:08 AM
blkonblk
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Calvin L
That wont work. Our shiftknob bases dont look like that. And our shifter plate is bigger than that.

Obviously...I just put up pics though because I knew someone would ask for them if I hadn't. If someone will post pics of the SC shifter heads-on and from the sides (with the levoc removed), I'll break out photoshop and show you what I had in mind. I'm quite confident it'll work.
Old 11-25-04, 10:27 AM
blkonblk
Driver School Candidate

Geez...

Bueller....Bueller....

I know someone around here has a picture.
Old 01-25-06, 10:58 PM
lexsc492
Pole Position

anybody do this... some pics wood be great i hate the big a$$ shifter

Quick Reply: Unsightly shifter in older SCs?