Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Twin Turbo SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 12:49 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any know offhand what typical hp figures are for a NA-T
Pulled out the Nov 2003 issue of "Sport Compact Car" with the SC300 Turbo as one of the 6 street Sleepers and it put down 360 hp and 290 ft lbs of torque with the FMax Kit, standalone ECU and a slew of other things. I dont think those where numbers where RWHP either. Dont quote me on that though. In saying that rdm20fan put down 370RWHP and ?RWTQ on 8psi. That is awsome. I thiink those years of everyone always saying "if you want a cruiser get a SC400, and if you want to Mod and be fast get the SC300 Those days are no more.

Rdm20fan how is the tranny holding out? Did chrisman add a tranny cooler and if not do you plan on one?
If I was you I would and either a KAAZ LSD to kept the SC400 stock gear ratio or switch in a 3.76 Supra auto TT LSD/ pumpkin direct bolt on and will help alot in the 1/4 mile. Dragon Torque Converter as well( although I am not sure what stall you would get?) Some nice 18's (light, sexy, and staggered!) 18X10 in the back would be nice and give you a nice "husky" stance. Coilovers ( Tein Basics, unless you plan on heavy road racing & auto crossing.) Daizen Sways, and bushings. That is my route and with this and the power you are making means high to mid 12's hooking up of course? Thats M3, Vette, Non BPU+++ Supra Turbos and Audi RS6( maybe) slapping power! Man I no one person who wishes he still had there SC400 is Lex Luthor. That Red SC400 was nice, Shout iut to all my SC400 owners who gave up on the V8, I wish you guys could have held on. Anyway does anyone agree with this Mods he should be in the 12's? Oh and in the words of my boy The CEO "Dont hate the V8"
Old 12-09-04, 01:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally posted by chrisman
we also did a quarter mile run on the dyno-- it was kinda difficult being an automatic, but we tried anyway.. the 5-6 psi run was like 13.6 at 107 mph.. the second run at 7-8 psi was slower( prob because of trying to start on the dyno) but the mph went to around 112 mph..--thats pretty good..
Very nice pulls Bob!

Looks like this is on a Mustang dyno. The Mustangs I've been on typically read about 10% less than a Dynojet! I did a quarter mile pull on the Mustang as well (before I added the supercharger) and had a really difficult time launching. In the GS (I assume the best way to do it in the SC is similar) you give it a bit of brake torque before launching. The rear brakes just won't hold it on the dyno rollers.
Old 12-09-04, 05:35 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Man 370 rwhp sounds right. When i had my TT, i made 324.5 with bad rings and untuned. I cant wait to fix my misc electrical problem and juice it up to 15 psi. I am waiting for 8 550 rx7 injectors. They should be in by this weekend.

Great job everyone... keep up the work....

Last edited by Lextreme; 12-09-04 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-09-04, 05:46 PM
chrisman
Driver

yea, it was a mustang dyno and difficult to get a good start.. but if all the numbers are good, the car should boogie..it feels great, and is pulling hard the whole time.. i know it is running well on the street--i just dont want to say its running 13s or even 12s until it runs at a track.. BUT--im not gonna say it cant either. in the meantime i will be trying to get some more runs against some local cars/friends..and we"ll try and get some vids..
remember--so far there has been nothing done to the motor-ecu-timing-etc.. the only supporting mod is the adjustable fuel pressure regulator..so seeing such a jump in performance is great--especially at 8 psi..
truthfully- i did hear some detonation, and some timing should be pulled and more fuel should be added,,but i want to get an idea of what can be done--in stages.. what to expect, and what to do to get more performance--safely and easily..
anyway--im talking to much..
Old 12-09-04, 05:54 PM
chrisman
Driver

lextreme--yea, 15 psi should feel awesome.. but i worry alot--and the trans would be next on my worry about list.. i think the motor can handle alot- but other stuff would have me cocerned.. keep us infod on how the bigger inj work out..
Old 12-09-04, 06:58 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

this is lookin great, Good Job to all the folks tat got the v8 rollin'. Mad props to you guys

-Rashed
Old 12-09-04, 07:59 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey Guys. Thanks again for the support. Today on my way home one of the hose connectors poped off, and a few stop lights later I'm staged up against a Mustang Cobra 4.6L Man was I pissed. Perfect set up, and no Boost.
Some one had asked a little more about the car. I have 18's ASA AR1'a I belive. 9' in the front 10' in the rear.
Also have the TT brake upgrade with SS lines.
I have KYB adjustable shocks with Intrax Supra Springs. I think it lowers it 3 inches. It low.
PRAISE THE LORD, AND ALWAYS PRAISE THE LOWERED!!!
I also have a Supra LSD. Not in yet. Anybody changed one of these out before. I just have the Diff, not the whole Pumpkin.

The car did have a Trans cooler. It was taken off during the instalation, and not put back in yet, but it will be.
Any secerets on that first to second shift. Man that trans shift just sucks ***. 2nd to 3rdseems to be ok though. And so far the trans hasn't had any problems. It does the same thing it has since the day I got it. And the car Has 155k on it
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo SC400?-motor-1.jpg  
Old 12-09-04, 08:00 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

....if the AC stays in, and this turbo kit becomes known as "reliable"..... I'm in it, cuz this is what I bought the SC400 to do.

Good work!... now lets see the AC included version....
Old 12-09-04, 08:01 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Here is another Pic
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo SC400?-motor-3.jpg  
Old 12-09-04, 08:35 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by NAZTY97
....if the AC stays in, and this turbo kit becomes known as "reliable"..... I'm in it, cuz this is what I bought the SC400 to do.

Good work!... now lets see the AC included version....
That's coming...SOON...
Old 12-10-04, 07:09 AM
twizt2
Rookie

I thought this was the AC included version...

I'm in Florida...AC isn't an option come May-June...
Old 12-10-04, 07:11 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chrisman what are your thoughts of putting this kit on the VVT-i engine, 98+ SC400's with the five speed tranny?
Old 12-10-04, 07:28 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by rdm20fan
Here is another Pic
Man, people in IL are going to be petrified to line up to white SC's With all of us running around they'll never know who they may be lining up to. LOL

Great job on this guys,. Just awesome to see someone do something outside of the "box".
Look forward to seeing your car at a meet in the spring.

Chris
Old 12-10-04, 08:37 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex
Oh and in the words of my boy The CEO "Dont hate the V8"
That was kinda catchy huh? Philly ....im glad to see everything is turning out well for this project ....like quikturbo said people are always gonna second guess a Lexus...so no matter how you look at it we will all have sleeper cars...now i still wanna see some VIDS

CEO

Last edited by THE_CEO; 12-10-04 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 10:23 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by quikturbo
Man, people in IL are going to be petrified to line up to white SC's With all of us running around they'll never know who they may be lining up to. LOL

Great job on this guys,. Just awesome to see someone do something outside of the "box".
Look forward to seeing your car at a meet in the spring.

Chris
Yeah. Too bad most of the turbo SCs around here are white. I'm like the only guy who has a different color. BTW, there is a winter meet that is under way on the 19th of December.

Chris

Quick Reply: Another Twin Turbo SC400?