Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Twin Turbo SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04, 08:36 PM
chrisman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quickturbo-chris--yea this sc does look alot like yours.. i know for a fact that alot of guys would ask bob if its your car.. .. he would spend the next 5 minutes convinsing guys that toyota makes a V8-- i guess alot of locals have heard of your sc..and fear it --may i add..
i know it will take some time to get close to the power that your making--but in the end ALOT of locals will respect all SCs..-and see lexus as real potential for not only cruisin in style, but making more power than most cars..
i will have to make sure the next turbo conv i attempt will keep its ac.. but when i was puting bobs car together i wanted to make sure he would have everything he neede to make ALOT of power.. remember i used 4 into 1 stainless headers that go into 3 inch collectors into the turbos.. then i have 3 inch downpipes into a full 3 inch exhaust all the way back.. i dont want to speculate to much, but with bigger turbos and some other stuff, he can make ALOT of HP..
this car is by no means finished, but getting done in stages.. it WILL be a learning experience for me--and maybe for some other sc guys.- i dont mind sharing info-.
it needs to be driven daily, so the driveability will have to remain the same.. that is probably the most important for bob.. having the car down is no fun..budget is probably the next most important factor.. then power..
i agree with bob on alot of these things- so working on his car is easy.. but taking the ac off was my idea.. it just made things less complex and less time conuming at the time..but i cant forsee leaving the air cond on as a big problem..especially if you can downsize your total hp expectations.. smaller exhaust can be used and the headers can be changed out for a simple log type exhaust..
anyway, i gotta go.. talk to you guys later.. and il bother bob about getting vids, but its still kinda rainy around here..
Old 12-11-04, 10:00 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no doubt that Bob's car is going to make insane power!!! If there is anything I can do to help you guys, I'd be more than happy. Keep me posted

chris
Old 12-11-04, 04:05 PM
chrisman
Driver

thanks.. alot of guys here have been helpfull..
i talked to chris/direrctQL today about the dec 19 local meet.. i am prety sure bob will go and bring his car--i also want to go.. maybee see you there..
Old 12-13-04, 06:34 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by chrisman
thanks.. alot of guys here have been helpfull..
i talked to chris/direrctQL today about the dec 19 local meet.. i am prety sure bob will go and bring his car--i also want to go.. maybee see you there..
hey when you guys have your meet let me know how your turbo's drive in the snow...im sure we will have 6 inches of snow by then...

CEO
Old 12-13-04, 04:18 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

That's a smooth setup; you did everything the way I would have.
Did you ever mess with the MAF?
Are you in closed loop without it?

The Auto will take right around 70 hp, the six-speed 35hp, at least this is what the Supra guys have concluded.
Old 12-13-04, 09:22 PM
chrisman
Driver

i built the MAF in the intake piping.. its close enough where it idles but does surge every once in a while.. i need to make it adjustable--like the svrew thats in the stock one..
as far as closed loop--the car has not had one check engine light.. that has been one of the best things so far.. it runs exactly as it ran before--except when it starts boosting--. it almost makes me wonder why toyota/lexus has not done this(turbo the V8.) before..its almost feels to good to be true-- thats kinda what scares me--i feel like somethings gonna go wrong, but thats how i am.. .
Old 12-13-04, 10:06 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

I skimmed the pages and would like to say this is a pretty cool project. What I'm wondering is if you have pictures of your manifolds? I think I saw what was a manifold on one of Lextreme's pictures. If I'm not mistaken, it looked like a 3 or 4" pipe with just pipes going into it (with no way of directing flow ) that goto the turbine housing (if that is how it is, sorry, but it looks horrible for performance). I think the hardest part of doing the single turbo on a V8 is mating the two headers together to meet up with the turbo in such a cramped up engine bay. Got pics of your headers/manifolds?
Old 12-14-04, 06:41 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

i built the MAF in the intake piping.. its close enough where it idles but does surge every once in a while.. i need to make it adjustable--like the svrew thats in the stock one..
as far as closed loop--the car has not had one check engine light.. that has been one of the best things so far.. it runs exactly as it ran before--except when it starts boosting--. it almost makes me wonder why toyota/lexus has not done this(turbo the V8.) before..its almost feels to good to be true-- thats kinda what scares me--i feel like somethings gonna go wrong, but thats how i am.. .
he he i feel ya that why were all watching this project so closely....other wise i would already have my car sitting in your garage now...hehe.

CEO
Old 12-15-04, 08:21 AM
chrisman
Driver

hi guessd,i think your talking about the exhaust header.. il attach a pic-it might be somewhere else in thios thread..
a big factor in this project is "space management" trying to get everything in the available space with the least comprimises.. when it came tothe headers, i probably could have made a true "race header" for optimum performance--but i think icame up with a good comprimise.. its a 4 into i..into the turbo.. the turbo itself is probably the most restrictive part of the exhaust, thats how they work afterall.
imo, the exhaust system after the turbo is the most important factor in allowing the turbos to come alive sooner.. and quick spooling turbos that can flow a descent amount of air makes for a good streer car..
ideally -1 very large turbo- would be better for a true race application- and simpler to install-but getting those large turbos spinning can take alot of engine RPM..--great for the track, no fun on the street..again, this just my opinion..im sure there can be a good debate on whether a single turbo or 2 turbos is "MO BETTA"..
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo SC400?-dscf0473.jpg  
Old 12-15-04, 08:26 AM
chrisman
Driver

heres another angle...
Attached Thumbnails Another Twin Turbo SC400?-dscf0474.jpg  
Old 12-15-04, 11:25 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful work...
And I'm assuming these headers are not applicable to NA guys, right?
Old 12-16-04, 12:33 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ChronoJ1, those headers, manifolds rather, go towards the front of the car,where the turbos are mounted, you should ask if he'll make you some for your car, and chrisman it sounds like you have a lot of future customers including me i was wondering when you might plan on starting on the 2nd car so i can have some idea of when you would want to twin turbo mine, i unlike most everyone else dont care for the a/c, as i never use it, thats why god invented windows, and a breez right? granted it doesnt always blow. but ive survived thus far gas is too expensive to be killing fuel mileage with a/c anyways.
Old 12-16-04, 08:02 AM
chrisman
Driver

yea, the exhaust does come forward..
as for the second turbo car, no one has steped up to the plate yet.. i just might get selfish and buy an sc400 for myself so I can have the second one..
well see what happens, i work by myself, and it would take me 3-5 weeks depending on how busy i am at my shop.. i think that scares alot of guys out of it.. 4 weeks without your car - --although, winter is a much better time to be without it around here.. in chicago ,winter is just useless when it comes to driving around..
maybe i should move out to cali or florida.. then id never be at the shop--id always be drivin around..
Old 12-16-04, 08:16 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[maybe i should move out to cali or florida.. then id never be at the shop--id always be drivin around.. [/B]
Yeah, Man...Florida... chrisman, I would step up, but, as you know, I am building my own...Your exhaust design is very similar to mine. What diameter piping did you use from the exhaust flanges to the collector? What diameter is your collector pipe?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 12-16-04, 08:50 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im in the air force so i can live without my car for a few weeks i just gotta find the time to get it to the chicago area, and save up the money... but soon enough, i hope! so you can already count me in! i just need the money first....anybody wanna loan me $6k?

Quick Reply: Another Twin Turbo SC400?