Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Twin Turbo SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04 | 10:16 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrisman
hi everyone, we might be getting somme more info/numbers on the performance of bobs car soon.. it all depends on the weather we get this weekend.. i sure hope it doesn't rain. bobs car is back at my shop getting ready for the weekend..i want to try some ideas/contraptions out.
AND, are there any other sc400's getting turbos done yet? where is everybody,,
Still waiting for my turbo... I am told it will hopefully be delivered within about a week, then we can get this project done...

Ryan
Old 12-30-04 | 10:11 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

well i didnt mean final in that context, i realize the car is an ongoing project and will probably never be "finished"
i just meant i was waiting a while to make sure the engine didnt blow, or the tranny could hold out, so i guess i just meant that i was waiting for the final word on what setup the car runs best on,and remains a everyday streetable car, sorry for any confusion i cause or any confusion i added to with this post...lol
Old 12-30-04 | 10:33 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi fortune, the tranny IS doin wierd stuff, but i guess it does have 150,000 on it, and the newfound torque is giviing it a heart attack.. im gonna try upping the line pressure for the trans.. ive been doin abunch of research on the transmissions.. ive rebuilt domestics before, but never an import trans.. i got a feeling i will be doing one soon , and have been getting as much model specific info as possible..
sc400, i hate waiting for stuff.. but at least its worth the wait..a turboed v8 is as fun as it gets..
Old 12-30-04 | 10:55 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Talking

is the tranny all stock or does it have any aftermarket parts, like a torque converter? is the tranny cooler hooked back up? im not offering what i think is best or anything, i was just curious. i read earlier that the tranny had a cooler installed and it was taken off during the twin turbo work and i was wondering if it was re-installed, i remember you said you were going to re-install it.
Old 12-31-04 | 10:31 PM
chrisman
Driver

the cooler was removed.. the tranny oil does go thru the radiator still..the trans has had nothing done to it yet.. i will rebuild it soon.. i just want to get as much info i can before i do it.. as soon as we get some quarter times, i guess the next step will be the trans. i want to eventually change the motor with the spare at the shop--which will get some forged internals..then hopefully we can start adding big boost,,-after i add the extra 8 injectors..
i have a friend developing an additional injector controller with some cool features--but trying to get him work on it is like pulling teeth..but, one thing at a time..
by the way--HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!..
Old 12-31-04 | 10:42 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400T
Reading all this V8 FI is exciting. Chrisman, Again, Kudos to you for your project.

Lextreme, You're the king of the Lexus V8 FI field in the US, no doubt.

Tech, your goals should be easy to reach on a V8.

My SC400T project is quite similar to David's. I am runnig a Garrett GT40 with a Precision .68 trim housing as well, should spool up very quickly. At 8 PSI should easily attain 900 CFM, easily good for 600HP at the crank, or more. That should have no problem in getting to 450 HP at the wheels. I will be running stock internals, high compression, and a custom water to air intercooler. The intercooler has a seperate heat exchanger that will mount where the ac condensor and radiator are. This serves as the cooling device for the liquid in the system. The liquid is then pumped through the system including the cooler while air travels through the fins in the cooler, the water absorbs the heat and then carries it completely away from the cooler and then disipates it's heat through the rest of the system and the heat exchanger. This custom system will keep the air at no more than about 10 degrees above ambient. This will mean even better HP. Some are trying to tell me this is not good for the street, but, this custom design will at its worst, be equal to or better in cooling than the best air-to-air FMIC.

I am installing a Tial 40 mm WG, and a Tial 50 mm BOV. AC compressor will stay, as well as power steering. Somethings will be relocated. Plumbing will all be T304 stainless.

This project is exciting. I am awaiting the Turbo, as the initial Garrett housing was the wrong one, and is being switched out by Turbo Performance Systems first.

Can't wait...

Ryan
Hello Lextreme,
You're good! I've been building turbo systems for Honda cars for awhile, but I'm kind of getting stuck with the SC400. How do you compensate the MAF with the turbo system? Is there any part for it? Instead of using extra injectors, can I use bigger injectors with some source of fuel controller ? What kind? Or can I use a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator made by Vortech? Thanks.
Old 01-13-05 | 04:40 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Chris / Bob,
Where does this project stand? Any updates to share? This project has made me want to turbo my SC400!
Old 01-13-05 | 09:12 AM
chrisman
Driver

bob is still driving the car everyday.. winter is tough around here,chicago, and its bobs only car right now.. i am planing on rebuilding the trans--better shifts and a higher converter.. im not sure if youhad seen the other thread, but we were able to get to a local track on Jan 1-- it ran a 13.7 and a good 109.4 mph.. thats over 20 mph better and 2 seconds faster than the last time bob was at the track before the turbos..i think the trans and convertor will get the car in the low 13s--maybee even quicker.. i know that i can get a little more mph out of this car as well--the way it is..
what else will get done to this car? i dont think to much will.. bob thinks its fast enough for now..but well see.
Old 02-04-05 | 06:23 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Anything new from bob's end?..and how is that tranny rebuild coming along.

CEO
Old 02-05-05 | 11:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
Anything new from bob's end?..and how is that tranny rebuild coming along.

CEO
There has been a post in the other thread about this car.
Old 02-06-05 | 06:22 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Richie
There has been a post in the other thread about this car.
yep got it...thanks

CEO
Old 03-30-05 | 02:39 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

mmmmmm......nice! i just finished re-living the past!

CEO
Old 03-30-05 | 09:51 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi again, i guess i should post more often..
the trans rebuild is fine.. bot rdm has broken an open differential.. im in the process of gettin another one-he really messed his up--and instaling a torsen diff..
while i have it at my shop, i am installng the 8 extra injector setup i had made for the 1uz.. i dont know if i posted pics, il look at the other post, and post some if i hadnt already..
the track is opening soon, and id like to get some new and improved numbers..
Old 06-21-05 | 06:35 PM
bryanoftex
Driver School Candidate

Default OK, The A/C and power steering can stay... Though I only had an SC400 for a week-o-so

Let me just let you see a 93 maxima with a single gt30r turbo, custom built 1 and 7/8 headers, yes 1 7/8's running as much as 20.1 psi and 15 daily. Inside the fenders there is a lot of room... My buddy at midas said no problem... well lots of labor is involved but i assure you soon i will have a twin gt30r with all luxuries..... I just want to know how much the block and crank can stand before i pump 18+ psi???? Here is some pics, my buddy said 5500... will get headers and exhaust, you supply the turbo's and electronics and accy's.... <<< don't judge before you see pictures... how long 5 days for all!!!!
Old 06-21-05 | 08:29 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi bryan--neet pics.. but im not sure if your were able to get turbos on an sc or not--from your post.. did you get one together for a customer, or yourself? and did it only take one week?..
the maxima looks good-- seems like your willing to try anything..
give us some more info..
and heres an update on rdms ttsc400.. the 8 extra fuel injector setup seems to be working well--but in the mean time,, the motor has started to show its age and the abuse it has gotten so far.. at a local track,, it was blowing a bunch of smoke this past weeken--enough for us to pack it up and drive home.. we will be putting in a spare motor i have at the shop so rdm can drive the car this summer..im heading for a couple month vacation,, and i want rdm to drive the car while im gone..
we have some forged pistons--so the motor in the car now will get a rebuild,,and a freshening up, and will get put back in the car when i get back in september.. anyway,, il try and keep an eye on the net to see whats going on.. rdm may get brave and take the spare motor up to the track.. i was able to datalog some afr's,, and it looked pretty good by the last run before we decoded to pack up..

by the way,, i met one more chris-Chris T.- and another chris,DirectorQL- was also at the track.--its nice to see LEXUS represented so well.. i wish rdms motor would have lasted a little more--but believe me when i say im surprised it has lasted this long.. it has definately seen some thrashing..

Quick Reply: Another Twin Turbo SC400?