Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with Valve cover gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 03:21 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help with Valve cover gasket job

Hey, I just spent my Saturday afternoon and some of my sunday morning changing out my valve cover gaskets. There were so many little hoses and bolts that I had to take out, and I kind of lost my place. So after I bolted it all up, it seems fine except for a kind of rough idle. It idles a little higher than before, but when I rev it, it will rev then come back down and almost stall. Im thinking its a vacuum problem, either a leaky hose, a hose not plugged in, or some hoses mixed. DOes anyone have any clue what the problem could be. And if anyone could point certain "problem" vacuum lines that are hard to see or easy to mix up, that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

PS. She runs PERFECTLY when you're moving, but at idle the car shakes a little and just doesnt feel right
Old 11-21-04, 05:33 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened to me. make sure your tb gasket is not leaking. Air was leaking out of my tb since i forgot to tighten some bolts on the bottom. you can check by spraying some silicone spray in the crack and working the butterfly valve if theres a leak you'll see it bubble. if all is tight and its still leaking then you may have gotten some dirt on the tb gasket and you should clean it off and spray some silcone on it before you put it back together or just get a new tb gasket.

Another thing is one of the vaccum hoses may have gone lose. its pretty hard to mix up the hoses since they kind of fall into where they are supposed to go, you should also check to see if theres any cracking at the end of any hoses. make sure they are on tight.

After i fixed the tb leak it was alot better yet it still wasnt 100% and after looking around like crazy and listening for any air leaks. I discovered one of the vaccum hoses have gone loose by the erg valve area. you should make sure to check the hoses that arent very visable from a top view of the engine bay as most likely thats the culpret.
Old 11-21-04, 05:52 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Awesome, thanks so much man. I cant wait to check tomorrow, hopefully I did something stupid that I can fix easily. It was such a bummer spending like 8 hours (first time EVER doing a gasket job on a car) ripping my car apart and putting it back together, just to see my car run worse than it was before (it ran absolutely perfect before )

Thanks again man, Ill let you know what happens
Old 11-24-04, 03:40 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

WOO, problem fixed, Im so happy. It was one of these things:

1.) Spark plug wire not compltely pushed down onto spark plug (I triple checked these and checked the firing order just in case)

2.) Hole in vacuum hose near the end (one of these hoses running to the top of the TB was chewed up at the end, so I went to autozone, spent $1, and cut me a new vacuum hose)

3.) Dirty ISC (Idle Speed Controller), this is one of the 2 electronic things plugged into the TB, and I took this out and cleaned the insides of it, it may have helped?
Old 11-25-04, 12:36 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely it was the vaccum hose.