Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

transmission whinning..did search

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 06:28 PM
hello1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sound does go away when i press in the clutch. not sure if it may be the drive shaft..any more suggestions. thanks guys
Old 11-29-04, 07:24 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally posted by hello1
the sound does go away when i press in the clutch. not sure if it may be the drive shaft..any more suggestions. thanks guys
It's probably the afforementioned throwout bearing then. Even if the bearing suffers catestrophic failure it won't effect anything else in the trans - so it shuold be fine until you can get it into a shop - or do it yourself. The part shouldn't be all that expensive - although the labor may be extensive. While you have the trans out you may as well swap out the clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced if need be while you're in there.
Old 11-29-04, 07:34 PM
hello1
Driver

thanks alot man..=) but are you sure that no damage would be done to the transmission..only the bearing? fill me in on that one thanks again
Old 11-29-04, 08:41 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally posted by hello1
thanks alot man..=) but are you sure that no damage would be done to the transmission..only the bearing? fill me in on that one thanks again
I guess if it self-destructed it could potentially cause damage to the clutch release fork and the pressure plate fingers. If this happened you wouldn't be able to shift gears - but the bearing would literally be screaming at that point - since yours is only a small whine, you should have quite some time before failure - most likely. Obviously, there are no guarantees though - the part could fail tomorrow - however it's not likely. Bottom line - get a second opinion from a mechanic and go from there.
Old 11-29-04, 08:44 PM
hello1
Driver

thanks..i will do that this weekend. but the whinning has been there for a while, it just got louder and i finally realized it was time to do something about it..maybe.. low on money though =( damn college ..thanks again =)
Old 11-30-04, 10:02 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

When me and a friend did my clutch, we put the throw out bearing in backwards. It squealed like a pig and about 2 months later I finally decided to redo the job.
Lexus charges a hefty $84 for the thow-out bearing.
The one we put in backwards was pretty much ruined but it really can't do any damage to the trasmission.
It did do some damage to my brand new clutch though....the metal clip broke off and got jammed between the disk and pressure plate.
I know it's exciting when that stupid transmission finally drops, but remember to calm yourself and take a look at which way the throw-out bearing is sitting.

Good luck.

~Alan
Old 11-30-04, 12:43 PM
hello1
Driver

thanks alot...i think its most likely the throw out bearing, but i dont think it is in backwards..maybe.. its been whirling for about im guessing a year now? but i just finally decided to figure out what it is..thanks..o by the way when u put it in backwards, did your clutch slip or was there any performance changes? thanks again =)
Old 11-30-04, 04:44 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Clutch was fine up until the point where the little clip flew off and into the pressure plate.....then I felt a bit of difference.
Make sure to replace the pilot bearing as well.....it's a few bucks and your local auto parts store should rent a pilot-bearing puller for free.

~Alan
Old 11-30-04, 05:47 PM
hello1
Driver

thanks alot alan..=) but my clutch and its performance is fine..so far, no slipping and all gears shift well..but its just the sound, very whirling and getting louder..is this a sign of other problems or just the bearings..? thanks
Old 11-30-04, 09:18 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem on my old SC. i replaced the trans, and it got a lot quieter. the new owner jsut put in a clutch and throw out. i will check with him to see if it is quiet now. i think my old trans if fine, and i just needed the throw out. if i were you, i would try just getting a new bearing. its a bit of work, but if it fixes the problem, its all good.
Old 12-01-04, 03:09 AM
hello1
Driver

thanks alot ki_soarer..i think im gona just get new bearings..maybe see if i need a new clutch. by the way, your car had the same problem and when you swapped transmissions, did the sound completely go away..or was it the clutch? i dont know if im making anysense, hmm what i mean was did you find out if the problem was the tranny or jsut the clutch? haha there we go..thanks again
Old 12-01-04, 08:01 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

im prety sure it was the throw out bearing. after replacing the trans, it was a lot quieter, but still there. ill have to check with the new owner to see if it is gone now that the new clutch/ throwout is installed. thanks.
Old 12-01-04, 12:13 PM
hello1
Driver

ok..thanks again man.
Old 12-01-04, 01:00 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i just talked to the guy i sold my old sc to. it doesnt whine with the new clutch and throuw out in it. that kind of sux for me bacause i replaced the whole transmission, even though it was the throwout bearing. i guess ill be putting the old tranny up for sale here shortly. glad i could help.
Old 12-01-04, 02:16 PM
hello1
Driver

thanks so much, i really appreciate it. saved me from purchasing a new tranny =)