Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car dies when I press in the brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-04, 04:34 PM
doodles714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical problem

I'm having a similar electrical problem. The problem occurs intermittently when I brake and when I use my left turn signal. I believe that it's a short in my left rear light assembly somewhere. I lose all power for a brief interval and my dash clock resets.
Old 12-13-04, 02:15 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Jonny,
This might sound stupid but have you checked your battery terminals? Mine did this exact thing in the city when I first bought my Soarer... terminals were filled with corrosion and didn't have good contact... do your ground leads have good metal contact to body ground? I know my mate with a V8 Soarer has this problem (where the car plays up when the brakes are applied, seems to be a voltage drop?)

Hope you work things out

Jose
Old 12-13-04, 11:02 AM
cabrera
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electrical problem

Originally posted by doodles714
I'm having a similar electrical problem. The problem occurs intermittently when I brake and when I use my left turn signal. I believe that it's a short in my left rear light assembly somewhere. I lose all power for a brief interval and my dash clock resets.
**** werd... this is the same thing happening with my 1992 SC300. I had bought it a brand new Optima battery a few months ago and now I'm thinking the alternator is flaky or a bad ground somewhere.

The bad thing is that it happens intermittenlty....

I will be checking this thread closely.

Last edited by cabrera; 12-13-04 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-13-04, 11:16 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Soarer_25GTT
Jonny,
This might sound stupid but have you checked your battery terminals? Mine did this exact thing in the city when I first bought my Soarer... terminals were filled with corrosion and didn't have good contact... do your ground leads have good metal contact to body ground? I know my mate with a V8 Soarer has this problem (where the car plays up when the brakes are applied, seems to be a voltage drop?)

Hope you work things out

Jose
Hey man,

I have a brand new battery with brand terminals and connectors. I just replaced my engine and when doing so remember grounding the negative very well. It is located right by the oil filter. But yeah, I was thinking a grounding problem too.

Well it is at my mechaincs so I guess I will let everyone know what they find out. Maybe this might help others out in the future.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reply,

Regards,
Jonny
Old 01-04-05, 10:56 AM
DarkLateNi
Driver School Candidate

did you ever get back a verdict on this problem: the cause and fix for it?
Old 01-04-05, 09:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarkLateNi
did you ever get back a verdict on this problem: the cause and fix for it?
Yeah,

turns out I had a bad ground. I wasn't able to locate it myself but my mechanic found it.

So if anyone else is having problems start checking their grounds.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 01-06-05, 04:43 PM
cabrera
Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Yeah,

turns out I had a bad ground. I wasn't able to locate it myself but my mechanic found it.

So if anyone else is having problems start checking their grounds.

Peace,
Jonny
Mine still does it from time to time. Was a ground in the engine compartment or other?

Glad yours is ok now ..
Old 01-06-05, 10:35 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cabrera
Mine still does it from time to time. Was a ground in the engine compartment or other?

Glad yours is ok now ..
Alex,

It was actually my mechanic who figured it out so I can't take credit for it. I will call him tomorrow and ask him where exactly he found it. Good luck.

Jonny
Old 01-07-05, 12:58 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DX3, the car is finally done?

if so, congrats!
Old 01-07-05, 01:02 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aliga
DX3, the car is finally done?

if so, congrats!
Gazi,

Yes, at least that part is. But you know how it goes, get rid of one problem and a new one starts!!! Someday it will be fixed and running and all that good stuff!!

Hoping to make it to NY to see you guys soon

Take care man,

Peace,
Jonny
Old 01-08-05, 05:51 AM
jojolex
Driver School Candidate

my experience...1992 SC400; when i braked or really pumped the stereo the headlights dimmed and turned on/off, radio on/off and the spkrs would distort, dash lights would dim and go on/off and once the engine died...dealer, electrical shops, mechanics checked it out; battery, terminals, harnesses, wires replaced, lots of time and $$....after a prolonged agony, found to be chassis ground on main terminal hub; the conductor itself was bad...installed aftermarket ground kit few months ago, its never run better, all probs gone and stereo can be bumped distortion free
Old 01-10-05, 05:21 AM
cabrera
Driver

Originally Posted by jojolex
my experience...1992 SC400; when i braked or really pumped the stereo the headlights dimmed and turned on/off, radio on/off and the spkrs would distort, dash lights would dim and go on/off and once the engine died...dealer, electrical shops, mechanics checked it out; battery, terminals, harnesses, wires replaced, lots of time and $$....after a prolonged agony, found to be chassis ground on main terminal hub; the conductor itself was bad...installed aftermarket ground kit few months ago, its never run better, all probs gone and stereo can be bumped distortion free
cool. I'll be checking this out soon.
Old 06-21-05, 08:30 AM
BobbyB
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Loss of Power when Braking

I have a similar problem, but not sure if it's the same....can anyone offer advise..
I have a 95' SC 300, with 133k miles. Let me give you some history:

My speedometer has only been lighting from 40mph and up, for a while now.
From 0 to 40mph, is dark. However, sometimes I will turn the car on and the speedometer will completely lite up. This has not been a particular problem for me, kind of one i live with.
I know this is a common problem for most owners...and the LS Lexus has a forum on this documented problem.

However, on two occasions, something strange happened.
I noticed that every time I applied the brake,
the instrument panel, radio, lights, wipers and blower fan would cut out for a few seconds, then come back on. The problem contiinued for about 30 minutes of driving, then seemed to stop happening.

To me it seemed as though when I applied the brake, it put a 'load' on the system and caused it to cut out, which sounds like a ground short someplace, or an overload.

The last time it happened, It was raining for about 1 hour hard, and the car was sitting before I used it. Not sure if this was the case the time the first time this happened to me. Was thinking something got wet somewhere, although, there are no leaks I could see.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem, or offer any suggestions.
Old 12-01-19, 05:18 AM
overcast08
Driver School Candidate

did ever find out which ground was causing the problem
having the same problem here
thanks