Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Supercharger or turbocharger?
Supercharger
50.71%
Turbocharger
49.29%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 04:11 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need lowend power with a TT 1UZ? Here it is

That was the video, this is his page-- Here

Even a pair of smallish T25's would boost at about 2000 rpms and still be good for 500hp-- These motors are perfect for TT app's-- they DO have lowend torque-- I'm used to a 2.0L Sr20de-- Even an sr20 will cook the tires once boost is on with 200whp ---

400whp from a pair of T25's on a 300 horse motor will have PLENTY of torque off idle, and plenty of problems with wheelspin, you need the boost to lag a little to prevent spin......

A supercharger will simply cook the tires--

NOT TO MENTION-- A staged boost controller can optimize boost at different rpm's, making the t/c system both more efficient AND more versatile, all while being capable of more topend power--

The t/c unlike a s/c can't be overdriven-- the s/c is at a fixed rpm with the engine, but a t/c can reach a certain boost level and stay there because of the operation of the wastegate--

I remember seeing an Audi RS8 dyno chart making 450+ torque just off idle all the way to redline-- about 500 tq-- but 400tq available at 1500 rpms or so-- just off idle.....

IF superchargers were the most reliable means, all the semi's on the road today would be using them instead of t/c's..... And keep in mind they are a low rpm torque monster... With one big turbocharger.

Last edited by MJHSC400; 12-01-06 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 05:36 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get an upgraded torque converter if you have an automatic...SC400... That will take care of your lowend power by itself....
Old 12-07-06, 04:31 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Just like Jibbby said-- you'll have enough trouble with lowend torque roasting the tires with a 1UZ WITHOUT ANY forced induction--

That being said -- there's no problems with torque--

With a t/c and lower rear-gear-- your more likely to need to raise your gear ratio with a TT or single T setup- than to lower it--

This is why most TT cars have a higher rear gear than N/A cars-- and auto cars have a lower gear than a manual car--

Even with a higher gear-- if you have a 2800 stall and a single turbo setup with a properly setup crossover pipe you're going to make 5 or 6 psi by 2800 rpms, if not full boost--

Your main problem will be wheelspin with either application--

That being said-- with a torquey v8 that can break traction n/a easily with basic mods-- a T/C is a better option due to high end power and overall efficiency--

BUT-- A centrifugal s/c is often well designed and maintenance free, with no coolant or oil lines to mess with-- so it's easy to return to stock-- as well as much less complicated to install-- so you can keep your present exhaust system intact and emissions legal [visually at least]
That is something a lot of guys with headers will like -- and a centrifugal s/c makes boost much more like a turbocharger will -- instead of instant "roots style" boost...

All in all -- the s/c is reasonably fast stock for a luxury car-- and is going to be waaaayy faster once you turbo or s/c it -- maybe too fast--

For ease of install and low maintenance I would say centrifugal s/c...

For max power gains and tuneability with future mods and power cieling -- the turbo setup will win every time for the money spent--

A 1000 hp 1UZ is not practical though-- so you will probably never see many -- that's too dangerous for a street car---

A good 100 or even 200 hp boost built to be reliable with all the other needed mods like a shift kit-- will be the most cost effective and practical --

A diy turbo setup can get real expensive if you blow a turbo or a motor-- both are less likely with a supercharger-- as well as boost leaks and exhaust leaks from all the heat a t/c can inherently be prone to having..
Old 01-25-07, 08:17 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what happened to mectech (http://www.mechtech-ms.com/mag7.php) or jackson auto (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwM8P-G38I) ?
Old 05-26-07, 05:33 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wondering, We have a 195 people that have voted here. Out of those how many have done FI on the V8 or are working on it?

I'll start

97 SC400 Supercharged

OK Ryan, where are you?
Old 05-26-07, 05:54 PM
c0wboy
Banned

I'm here, present and accounted for... walking the walk

Old 05-26-07, 06:51 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done both.
Old 05-26-07, 07:01 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by morris
I've done both.
Turbos, and Supercharged?
Old 05-26-07, 07:02 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by c0wboy
I'm here, present and accounted for... walking the walk

That is going to Impressive!
Old 05-26-07, 08:18 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Turbos, and Supercharged?
Yup got my feet wet with a supercharger and then graduated to the turbo.
Old 05-26-07, 08:36 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Yup got my feet wet with a supercharger and then graduated to the turbo.
Wow! that's impressive. Why kind of numers did you make with both?
Old 05-27-07, 12:39 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott, been busy getting to Destin Beach in Florida panhandle for some long needed R&R...

Yep, I also walk the walk...I have successfully TT'd the 1UZ in my SC400. I am now building the built motor, and adding the built drive train so that the car can handle the boost...

Sometime this summer, this project will be completed...

Ryan

BTW, Eric, hit me up on the phone man...
Old 05-27-07, 11:32 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Wow! that's impressive. Why kind of numers did you make with both?
super charger was 389 stock engine and about 12psi if I remember corretly. I couldnt boost higher than that because of belt slippage.

With the turbo I have been to 525 on a built engine and 17psi. Its scary, the front end lifts up and the tail gets squirrly even with 285 rubber in the rear.
Old 05-27-07, 01:18 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

super charger was 389 stock engine and about 12psi if I remember corretly. I couldnt boost higher than that because of belt slippage.

With the turbo I have been to 525 on a built engine and 17psi. Its scary, the front end lifts up and the tail gets squirrly even with 285 rubber in the rear.
wow, I had no idea I was in the midst of such a pro. You sir have earned my respect. What type of supercharger was it? I am impressed with your numbers, what type of fuel management did you use? I would love to hear more details on both projects.
Old 05-27-07, 06:19 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

wow, I had no idea I was in the midst of such a pro. You sir have earned my respect.

Blah blah blah

The supercharger was with a RMM kit vortech centrifugul blower with customm pulleys and SAFC2

Then I wanted more but could not get it with the belt slippinjg problem at the same time I broke a ringland, so that was an opportunity to build the engine and put in a custom single turbo setup. Still using the SAFC2 and forged pistons. I am runnig a single T62-1 from turbonetics. I recently blew my built tranny so I am back to running off the wastegate spring at 7psi. I am running a stock tranny for now. I will either go iwth a th400 or a A340e from boost logic. I would love to do the V160 but right now it doesnt make financial sense to me.

But I have my eyes wide open on what MVP is doing so I may change my setup this coming year, maybe a 4.7l stroked tundra motor. sounds like a good idea to me.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge