Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Supercharger or turbocharger?
Supercharger
50.71%
Turbocharger
49.29%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-04, 05:32 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I may just have to build an SC400TT and an SC400s/c.
Just to see. If I ever get my hands on any money of that sort.
Old 12-15-04, 12:37 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually voted for turbos due to efficiency, but I'm seeing a lot of info about S/Cs that I cannot agree with. From what I have experienced and read, I was under the impression that S/Cs make more average power, Which is what really matters on the street. Also, in the latest Hot Rod mag they S/C a new GTO and make an extra 46 lb-ft at 1500 RPM which is 12 more lb-ft than the original trq peak which was at 3000 RPM. The trq peak of this engine was 430 lb-ft with 403 lb-ft at 2000 RPM, compared to a peak of 307 lb-ft at 3000 RPM originally. Now, based on that, I don't think that all low end tq on a S/Ced engine is due to displacement. Also, not all S/C run off of belts, This one ran off of a driveshaft. Granted, there are still parasitic losses due to that, but I thought I would mention it.
So, IMHO I think to say one is always better, or one is a waste of money is rediculous EDIT: All numbers were rear wheel. Also this kit was installed in eight hours and retained stock exhaust

Last edited by V8RWDHP; 12-15-04 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-15-04, 01:27 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Originally posted by V8RWDHP
. Also, not all S/C run off of belts, This one ran off of a driveshaft. Granted, there are still parasitic losses due to that, but I thought I would mention it.
What is that driveshaft attached to? Let me rephrase. What turns the shaft?
Old 12-15-04, 01:30 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Wink

I'm still trying to picture a SC under the car attached to the driveshaft
Old 12-16-04, 12:41 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Turbo, it doesnt put any strain on the engine to turn a turbine like it does to turn the pully of a supercharger, also turbos can reach higher boost pressures, and are more efficient. plus they just plain look and sound way better
Old 12-16-04, 01:10 AM
V8RWDHP
Driver

They didn't mention what drove the shaft, just that it was in the rear which is where I got confused. But upon closer inspection of the picture, I was wrong in this case. The shaft comes forward next to the S/C from the rear and does appear to have a pulley. My bad. But there have been many gear driven and direct crank driven S/C's in the past
Old 12-16-04, 10:17 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Originally posted by V8RWDHP
They didn't mention what drove the shaft, just that it was in the rear which is where I got confused. But upon closer inspection of the picture, I was wrong in this case. The shaft comes forward next to the S/C from the rear and does appear to have a pulley. My bad. But there have been many gear driven and direct crank driven S/C's in the past
Interesting, I guess you learn something new everyday. Happen to have any pictures? It would interesting to see how they did it.
Old 12-23-04, 12:23 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

it all depends.....for more tourque, i wud get supercharge.....
for top end power, turbocharging is the way to go.....

but in my case, i wud prefer turbochrging.............because?
i alrdy have some of the parts.............hehhehe
Old 12-23-04, 07:25 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

here are a couple things I know about the 2.
Turbo: produces more heat.
Turbo: easier to intercool. (some SC can't be cooled)
SC Power is linear and has better responce at low RPM
Turbo's are easier to change PSI. this can usally be done in a couple minutes and easily returned back to orignal if tunning is disliked. Some kits will allow you to change PSI levels while driving.
SC are more difficult to change PSI. Belt, and pulley need to be changed.

A turbo is more efficent then a SC.
turbo's require 6-8HP to make 100HP
SC require around 30hp to make 100HP (Your motor if working harder for the same result.)

SC are much more popular in Drag racing as they are more predictable. you will get the same results more often

Turbo's are more popular in road racing. turbo's fall a little shot off idle. thats a very small part of most road race cars.
Old 01-06-05, 11:57 AM
Verge
Rookie

whichever kit is actually released to the market first.... that is the one i will choose
Old 03-07-05, 05:17 PM
legendary
Racer

I will go for SC

Morris - what is going on with the GS?
If you want to keep it private you can PM me...
Old 03-07-05, 06:08 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Well I guess I cant keep my fat mouth shut for ever.

Well it is still in the shop, The supercharger kit came off. The new built transmission should be delivered anytime this week. I got the PI TC changed to 2400rpm and had a stator pump installed. It came back last week.

I should have my turbonetics stuff sometime this week or next T04E single setup. So I am hoping to have my car back and running late this week or early next week, but only time will tell.
Old 03-09-05, 11:25 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

TT...

Ryan
Old 03-10-05, 09:28 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I would pick supercharger (Twin Screw Type), unless you have a larger crank pulley, i would go with turbo. The twin screw supercharger would the FI of choice. However, this route will not work well with the 1uz. The 1UZFE only has 5.0" crank pulley and its very hard to make any major boost. Basically, the 1UZ will have difficulties making more than 11 psi. We are working on a two stage pulley as we speak and it will be 8". However, the ultimate would be turbo setup. Lots of choice of turbo configurations.

Recently we see some improve in the 1UZ areana. Chrisman did a twin and I just finished my Single Turbo LS400. 10 psi is my daily driving and 16 psi last night. All i can say is that V8 Hauls. At 16 psi, the heavy luxury car pulls very hard.

Last edited by Lextreme; 03-10-05 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 03:45 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Me personally would rock the turbo. With a properly sized turbo or even twins you can have the low end torque of a supercharger and the top end responce of the turbos. Or hell if you have the money why not do both. Would anyone else like to see this done?

Quick Reply: The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge