Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Supercharger or turbocharger?
Supercharger
50.71%
Turbocharger
49.29%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-05, 03:53 PM
soarer5780
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Turbo: road courses (you see any prototype lemans cars running superchargers?), highway racing, dynos, quarter mile, auto-x, production vehicle reliability

Supercharger: heat, half-*** powerband, more heat

I cant believe people are voting supercharger ROFL... you guys are crazy and clueless. This is the ULTIMATE setup here... meaning big power and big powerband.

If done correctly, the 4 liter could run a single 71mm GT-cartridged turbo, make 600whp on pumpgas (800 possibly on racegas) and have a HUGE powerband. Show me a supercharger that will do all that on a smaller 4 liter, yet still be reliable.... you cant....
i completely 100% agree....and that powerband is the best feeling. theres nothing theres nothing that can compare with a turbo.....TURBO HANDS DOWN
Old 10-04-05, 08:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,350 Likes on 1,071 Posts

sorry, but you guys are confusing yourselves if you think a centrifugal blower is ever going to touch a turbocharger...

a roots-type? yeah they can make lots of low end and run out of flow up top...
but the same thing can be said about a properly sized turbo... there are so many reasons why turbos are far better than superchargers its not even funny...

heat, size, powerband, customization, options (compound turbocharging, biturbo, sequential twinturbo), packaging, etc...

turbos are so far ahead of superchargers nowadays, its just the way it is... take a look at the GT35R... the turbo spools very quickly on a 2jz (and even faster on a 1jz) and flows enough air for 600-650whp...

if you're making an auto-x car you can use a properly sized turbo to run rings around a supercharged car.... its just the way it is (as i seem to keep saying)

Sorry but... Gotta check you on this one. Question ?? = What do Just about 99.99% of all Pro Drag race cars run ? ANSWER = Supercharger/Blower
Old 10-06-05, 11:45 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Sorry but... Gotta check you on this one. Question ?? = What do Just about 99.99% of all Pro Drag race cars run ? ANSWER = Supercharger/Blower

I gotta answer this one right back

BECAUSE TURBOCHARGERS ARE OUTLAWED!!!

Before they were outlawed, one team had a motor 3/4 the size of the present supercharger motors... ran twin turbochargers that were 1/2 the size of the blowers... they couldnt find a transmission to hold the power because it made so much more...
the top-fuel leagues find out about it and BOOM... turbos are illegal... makes them TOO fast

I got a question for you
What do ALL of the FASTEST drag cars run that dont have turbochargers illegalized in their classes? ANSWER = TURBOCHARGERS

Old 10-08-05, 02:09 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I gotta answer this one right back

BECAUSE TURBOCHARGERS ARE OUTLAWED!!!

Before they were outlawed, one team had a motor 3/4 the size of the present supercharger motors... ran twin turbochargers that were 1/2 the size of the blowers... they couldnt find a transmission to hold the power because it made so much more...
the top-fuel leagues find out about it and BOOM... turbos are illegal... makes them TOO fast

I got a question for you
What do ALL of the FASTEST drag cars run that dont have turbochargers illegalized in their classes? ANSWER = TURBOCHARGERS

OK New question How fast does a Dragster go that Blows the transmission because of too much power ?

And heres my point : I know of (3) 1UUZFE Motors that have been Turbo charged. They have all not faired well or lasted. Each has required rebuild of both engine and transmission. 1 which I think is a 4th still is going but.. did not really make what a Turbo should have made and is due for a rebuild.
Top Drag cars were not the question here, the SC400 V8 was. Dollar VS HP the Super Charger got my Vote. I heard a quote of 20 - 30 grand to do the 1uzfe correctly on a turbo application that would make big HP and last. You'll be comparing Turbo Charged Train Locomotive engines next.
Old 10-08-05, 03:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
OK New question How fast does a Dragster go that Blows the transmission because of too much power ?

And heres my point : I know of (3) 1UUZFE Motors that have been Turbo charged. They have all not faired well or lasted. Each has required rebuild of both engine and transmission. 1 which I think is a 4th still is going but.. did not really make what a Turbo should have made and is due for a rebuild.
Top Drag cars were not the question here, the SC400 V8 was. Dollar VS HP the Super Charger got my Vote. I heard a quote of 20 - 30 grand to do the 1uzfe correctly on a turbo application that would make big HP and last. You'll be comparing Turbo Charged Train Locomotive engines next.

Ok ROFL dude you're a trip, seriously...

You get shot down and now you start bringing up "superchargers are more reliable because i've seen them in other cars"

You think the transmission has anything to do with the motor? Do you know why they were banned? Not because they couldnt find a transmission (they would have had one built to handle it eventually), its because it was TOO fast... they find ways of slowing the cars down: engine size limitations, running distributors as a requirement (no digital ignition), carbeurators, weight limits, etc. Do you know anything about racing at all? Formula one is downsizing the engines soon because the cars are getting too fast... its the same reason they arent allowed to run turbochargers anymore.

Did you ever see a Formula 1 car run a supercharger? They had 1.5L motors making 1500hp+... very very dangerous, especially when suspension and tire technology wasnt anywhere NEAR what it is today.

Thats REALLY nice that you know of 3 V8 turbo setups that didnt last well. I can tell you point blank to your face--> its because they werent done correctly.
Ah so you heard a quote for 20-30 thousand for a proper turbo setup huh? So thats it right? Be all end all? A halfway decent turbo setup can be done on the 1uz for not much more than a typical SupraTT single upgrade kit (including fuel, ecu, built tranny, yadda yadda). It takes around $10-12k to take a 2jz-GE and set it up to make serious power (over 700hp). It would cost about the same for a 1uz. I can line up the part listings if you like in the next post.

As for your points, you have none... your argument was baseless and was just a retaliation after I called you out on your HUGE errors of assumption. And to point out ANOTHER one. This whole debate has NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING to do with dollar/hp ratios. It is called the 'ULTIMATE' setup... not the 'ultimate cheapskate' setup. Even in that argument, the supercharger would lose... it cant make big power on this motor. HKS made ~1600hp by turbocharging the 1uz, there's a guy in australia that has 2000hp on his... there arent many instances of either supercharging or turbocharging this motor for big power because people simply understand the 2jz is a better motor to start with anyways (or they go outside the toyota brand)

For your reading pleasure (turbocars in modern racing):
Lemans prototype
Pro 5.0 (notice the winners use turbos now, not superchargers)
CART
All higher-end import racing (see any supercharged import drag cars? i dont)
Old 10-08-05, 03:34 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

74mm turbo with ~.84 A/R exhaust side
Fullrace SS321 raceheader custom made for single on 1uz with FE head
Fullrace 4" downpipe and midpipe
4" intake setup
AEM ECU (which unit still needs determination, all AEM ECUs can be adapted for any motor)
autosportwiring half-harness to adapt stock wiring to AEM unit
AEM wideband kit setup and AEM boost solenoid
Boostlogic built auto tranny for 850hp+ w/ tranny cooler
stall converter for 3500rpms or so
headgaskets for dropped compression to 8.5:1 and ARP headstuds
8 70lb injectors (easy to find and will plug into stock rails)
Custom fuel rails (if stock rail ID is too small)
AFPR unit
twin Walbros and lines
SupraTT auto LSD with supra axles (for strength)
various thingys, like boost gauge, tranny temp, etc

This setup would enable one to make A LOT of power at around 25-30psi. Since the boundaries have not been pressed on the FE heads, they might need porting, cams should be fine, and intake manifold SHOULD be ok, but it can be ported too to match the heads if need be.

Need I remind you 2jz's are making 800whp+ on this turbo. An engine is nothing but an airpump, using a supercharger or turbocharger doesnt change that its just pumping air... its just that a turbocharger is FAR more efficient at it and has BIGGER benefits vs side effects
Old 10-09-05, 02:38 AM
spoiledkid
Pole Position

i would have to say turbo because when forced ind. was legal in formula 1 honda turboed there motor and i think cosworth. but either way turbo alot more complicated but with a good setup and tuning turbos i honestly believe is unbeatable as well as more reliable from my opinion. the honda motor was1.4 liter turboed making 890 hp and running in harsh formula one conditions without a failure is damn well amazing
Old 10-09-05, 06:25 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's try to keep this thread civil guys. Opinions are ok but bashing is going to get this thread closed. Thanks.
Old 10-09-05, 09:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Ok ROFL dude you're a trip, seriously...

You get shot down and now you start bringing up "superchargers are more reliable because i've seen them in other cars"

You think the transmission has anything to do with the motor? Do you know why they were banned? Not because they couldnt find a transmission (they would have had one built to handle it eventually), its because it was TOO fast... they find ways of slowing the cars down: engine size limitations, running distributors as a requirement (no digital ignition), carbeurators, weight limits, etc. Do you know anything about racing at all? Formula one is downsizing the engines soon because the cars are getting too fast... its the same reason they arent allowed to run turbochargers anymore.

Did you ever see a Formula 1 car run a supercharger? They had 1.5L motors making 1500hp+... very very dangerous, especially when suspension and tire technology wasnt anywhere NEAR what it is today.
ny supercharged import drag cars? i dont)

Damm Bean I did not even waste my time reading this disrespectful, childish, name calling post. You have called everyone in the threads opinion a few post back all kinds of imture names because they Voted SuperCharger instead of Turbo. The post is for each to vote their OWN decision ! Not Bean call everyone a idiot because they are dicussing a Supercharger. .

Question :
Do you have a Turbo Charged Mouth or one up your A _ _.

I'm done I will not even read back into you disrespectfull, personal attack comments anymore. Don't get your Panties in a Wad. Bean you got ISSUES !

Last edited by jgscott; 10-10-05 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-09-05, 09:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Let's try to keep this thread civil guys. Opinions are ok but bashing is going to get this thread closed. Thanks.
Thanks Koma. Check Bean's previous Post in this Thread. He bashinging and Attacking everyone who Voted S/C thru the whole post. I will not respond no matter what else he post and what names he calls. I'm Done !
Old 11-29-05, 11:31 PM
brazilian
Driver School Candidate

Im new to the engine upgrade world which would be faster the 2jzgte or just turbocharging the v8 that is in the sc400?

Last edited by brazilian; 11-29-05 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 03:15 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by brazilian
Im new to the engine upgrade world which would be faster the 2jzgte or just turbocharging the v8 that is in the sc400?
Well faster as in speed of the car? I'm sure the 1UZ (V8 4.0 in SC400) has lots of potential as it is a very strong engine but we haven't really had the support the 2JZ-GTE has.
The 2JZ-GTE probably is the least expensive and most tested motor. I think the record is 1890rwhp.
As for the 1UZ we have very few FI 1UZ on the forums but they're making progress maybe one day we can break the 2JZs record.
But to answer your question as of right now the 2JZ-GTE is quicker but I'm sure if we could build up a 1UZ right we could destroy a 2JZ-GTE
Old 11-30-05, 03:24 PM
legendary
Racer

thanks for keeping it cool folks
Old 11-30-05, 06:31 PM
brazilian
Driver School Candidate

wow 1890rwhp that is nothin less than unbelievable. ya i was wonderin cause im loookin to find a way to bring that real horsepower into my 93 sc400. do you know if i would have to change it to a manual if i brought that strong of an engine in to my car or could i keep it automatic like i would want to? and is the 2jz an 8 cyclinder? also on the supercharger vs. turbo which would be better for off the line racing a supercharger or twin turbo with a small quick spooling turbo and a larger turbo?

Last edited by brazilian; 11-30-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 10:20 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by brazilian
wow 1890rwhp that is nothin less than unbelievable. ya i was wonderin cause im loookin to find a way to bring that real horsepower into my 93 sc400. do you know if i would have to change it to a manual if i brought that strong of an engine in to my car or could i keep it automatic like i would want to? and is the 2jz an 8 cyclinder? also on the supercharger vs. turbo which would be better for off the line racing a supercharger or twin turbo with a small quick spooling turbo and a larger turbo?
Our autos I believe can hold up to 500hp but there are alternatives that can hold more. I can't remember the site that sells them. The 2JZ is an inline 6 engine. Supercharger is quicker off the line but eventually the turbos will waste it.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge