Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Supercharger or turbocharger?
Supercharger
50.71%
Turbocharger
49.29%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 09:05 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I think maybe somone needs to drop a 13b in the 400. ROTORY IS KING . I would love to see a Lexus with a TT Rotory in it, even though the 1jz is sweet it would be combinding two extremly cool things. I wish I had countless amounts of money to do it. As to the orgianal question im a turbo guy. Nothing like hearing it whine then blow.
Old 04-20-06, 10:04 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by onebadshot
Hmmm, I think maybe somone needs to drop a 13b in the 400. ROTORY IS KING . I would love to see a Lexus with a TT Rotory in it, even though the 1jz is sweet it would be combinding two extremly cool things. I wish I had countless amounts of money to do it. As to the orgianal question im a turbo guy. Nothing like hearing it whine then blow.

Rotory is King? Now why is that? I have never worked on a Mazda rotory engine, what makes them so good for turbo setups in comparison to the 1UZ.., 1JZ, I would like to know what are the advantages of a rotory engine???? .
Old 04-21-06, 01:51 PM
jibbby

SC400TT/Ryan is that steam piping you are using for your turbo inlet? It looks like it has sleeves at the bends, no exhaust leaks with that setup?
Old 04-21-06, 06:02 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, those are not steam pipes, no sleeves. Just mild steel piping...

Ryan
Old 06-28-06, 01:45 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jibbby
Rotory is King? Now why is that? I have never worked on a Mazda rotory engine, what makes them so good for turbo setups in comparison to the 1UZ.., 1JZ, I would like to know what are the advantages of a rotory engine???? .
The Rotory desigin is amazing, its so simple compared to a regular piston engine. Some of the fastest airplanes in the world (prop) run off turbo rotorys, because there so small and yet make tons of power. The downside of them is they need lots of cool air, as in flying your geting plenty of air and ussualy cooler air. The 13B that is in the FD is all of 1.3l. Along with 2 turbos, the car makes close to 300hp.
Old 06-28-06, 04:51 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onebadshot
The Rotory desigin is amazing, its so simple compared to a regular piston engine. Some of the fastest airplanes in the world (prop) run off turbo rotorys, because there so small and yet make tons of power. The downside of them is they need lots of cool air, as in flying your geting plenty of air and ussualy cooler air. The 13B that is in the FD is all of 1.3l. Along with 2 turbos, the car makes close to 300hp.

too bad rotory's need to rebuilt like once every 50,000 miles. to me the reliability of the rotory is not great, and the quality of mazda cars arent great either. The motors are amazing and deffinately unique. But the design of the apex seals and the mix of everything just doesnt seem to effecient. Just my opinion.
Old 06-29-06, 05:23 PM
jibbby

I also heard the rotory engines wear out fast...Mazda's and what not...I will stick with the V8 design in which I am so familiar with...Although, I have seen a Mazda's burn up the road.....

Back to topic, Supercharging is difficult for fitment under the hood, and has limitations with creating massive horsepower...Some experience belt slippage at high rpm's as well. Turbo's are the logical choice...However, I love instant boost and despite what everyone say's I would still prefer a massive supercharger on my 1UZ'FE that is run on a seperate belt system (double crank pulley)....I the superchargers of choice would be the Eaton M90 for the 1UZ-FE's, however I would look for a custom setup that puts out more juice, if I were to go for it..... I would love to see a big *** Paxton or something like that on an 1UF-FE...

Exhaust turbo's work better, cost less, duals may give you a few headaches, tunning may be challenging...I am sure Ryan can speak more intellengently then me in regards to the turbo's and problems that go along with it....

The problem with mod'ing these SC4's in the hp limits with the stock engine internals and drivetrain...So if you don't plan on forgies, and tranny build the I would supercharge all day up to the Hp handling capacity with M90... If you don't want limits set then turbo away....

I just love instant throttle response and you will only get that with a supercharger and or nos... Spool up time sucks......
Old 07-03-06, 05:16 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jibbby
I also heard the rotory engines wear out fast...Mazda's and what not...I will stick with the V8 design in which I am so familiar with...Although, I have seen a Mazda's burn up the road.....

Back to topic, Supercharging is difficult for fitment under the hood, and has limitations with creating massive horsepower...Some experience belt slippage at high rpm's as well. Turbo's are the logical choice...However, I love instant boost and despite what everyone say's I would still prefer a massive supercharger on my 1UZ'FE that is run on a seperate belt system (double crank pulley)....I the superchargers of choice would be the Eaton M90 for the 1UZ-FE's, however I would look for a custom setup that puts out more juice, if I were to go for it..... I would love to see a big *** Paxton or something like that on an 1UF-FE...

Exhaust turbo's work better, cost less, duals may give you a few headaches, tunning may be challenging...I am sure Ryan can speak more intellengently then me in regards to the turbo's and problems that go along with it....

The problem with mod'ing these SC4's in the hp limits with the stock engine internals and drivetrain...So if you don't plan on forgies, and tranny build the I would supercharge all day up to the Hp handling capacity with M90... If you don't want limits set then turbo away....

I just love instant throttle response and you will only get that with a supercharger and or nos... Spool up time sucks......
Maybe someone should do a TT Variable Vane project, like the Porsche's.
Old 07-03-06, 01:18 PM
jibbby

Koma, the variable vane exhaust Porsche's are designed with exhaust flaps that open and close to always maintain boost in the turbos's even at idle....That means you have instant throttle response always which is amazing..... However, these new turbo's are too expensive and new to work out on an SC, infact I don't even think many people know of these new turbo's just yet...

Porsche also designed an automatic transmissions on that same Porsche that out performs the manual version considerable....That means the automatic transmission is in perfect unison with the motor and shifts at the perfect times which a person driving the manual version tranny on the same car cannot beat or match...That too is amazing....
Old 07-29-06, 03:05 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Jibby: Did you know variable vane turbo have been around for many years now? They are currently being used in diesel applications and were used a couple decades ago in turbo 4 cylinder dodges during the 80's. The new Porsche turbos do not produce boost at idle. It would be amazing if they did.
Old 07-29-06, 06:56 PM
jibbby

I didn't know they had been around for awhile, ...I just read that Porsche introduced the newly designed Variable Vane Exhaust turbo system where there is no lag time at all unlike the conventional turbo.. I read that the exhaust vanes open and close at idle to maintain a constant minimum boost.....DId I read wrong? Is this correct? If not what would be the difference between a standard turbo and the Variable Vane turbo's?

If I am mistaken then thanks for the correction....I do not know from hands on experience...
Old 07-29-06, 08:27 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe Corky Bell came oiut with the first variable vane turbo...But I understand he had alot of problems with it. I have never read what he finally did with the idea.

Ryan
Old 07-30-06, 01:46 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

It is said to be the first variable vane for gas engines since diesel’s have been running them successfully for a while now. The higher exhaust temps of gas engines causes a problem with these vanes but it seems like Porsche has specially developed high heating resisting vanes.

The vanes don’t open and close at idle but are close to create a smaller ar on the exhaust housing which improves spool and response. The vanes then open up at whatever rpm Porsche has it set to which gives the turbo a larger ar for better top end power.
Old 08-19-06, 09:35 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just pick one and do it!

Well guys, It's on! I have officially ordered my Supercharger manifold/kit! This is where the rubber hits the road, it should be here within the next two weeks. Why you all hash this out, I am going to do it. I got past the question of turbo verses supercharge and am on my way to Forced induction. I went this way to be different from the norm, lots of people Turbo so I chose Supercharge.

Face it, you will never be the fastest but if your still NA you will be slower.

Point made, doesn’t matter which you do just do one! $h!t or get off the pot! LOL

I cant wait to do this! Full blown thread with details to follow! (no pun intended)
Old 08-19-06, 10:35 AM
jibbby

Scott, which supercharger kit did you order and how much? Did you pay 5K for the Eaton kit from Australia? That will break the bank for sure.....I love the superchargers you go man!!!!!

For those penny pinching lexus owners -

The single garrett turbo which I have seen on a LS400 with an 1UZ-FE engine is so simple and so cost effective.... Some exhaust custom Y tubing, intercooler, electric fan install, etc..and you are good to go.. Save thousands...

Quick Reply: The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge