Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Supercharger or turbocharger?
Supercharger
50.71%
Turbocharger
49.29%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 10:53 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
Scott, which supercharger kit did you order and how much? Did you pay 5K for the Eaton kit from Australia? That will break the bank for sure.....I love the superchargers you go man!!!!!

For those penny pinching lexus owners -

The single garrett turbo which I have seen on a LS400 with an 1UZ-FE engine is so simple and so cost effective.... Some exhaust custom Y tubing, intercooler, electric fan install, etc..and you are good to go.. Save thousands...
Yes I got the kit from Australia, I bought eaton M90 off eBay for $300 and then I got a sweet deal on the kit, I have been working a deal with them for over a year so they really hooked me up. I bought two pulleys, a 6lb and a 10lb so I can experiment. I dont know that they really want me to disclose what I paid but lets just say that your Estimate of $5000 is several thousands high! When its all said and done I shouldn’t even have quite $3000 invested in supercharging. This of course on top of the rest of the mods I have already done to build a foundation for this project. Now the question comes, do I install the NX system I bought or sell it? I have a NX wet system, with Fire and Ice bottle heater, purge kit, bottle opener, and more. I bought it all never installed it and now I ordered this kit. I dont feel like its a good plan to naaaz it with boost. I guess you pay to play?
Old 08-20-06, 10:34 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Well guys, It's on! I have officially ordered my Supercharger manifold/kit! This is where the rubber hits the road, it should be here within the next two weeks. Why you all hash this out, I am going to do it. I got past the question of turbo verses supercharge and am on my way to Forced induction. I went this way to be different from the norm, lots of people Turbo so I chose Supercharge.

Face it, you will never be the fastest but if your still NA you will be slower.

Point made, doesn’t matter which you do just do one! $h!t or get off the pot! LOL

I cant wait to do this! Full blown thread with details to follow! (no pun intended)
Fantastic, man!! I am glad to see you step up. Looking forward to seeing your progress...

Ryan
Old 08-20-06, 11:50 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The M90 Eaton is a good choice and I it sounds like you got a good deal...I had considered that option for a while but was too cheap to spend the mulla vs the power you gain......Went with nos instead... The only problem is the power output is limited on these Eaton chargers...You lose engine power from the pulley system to run the supercharger...However, boost it up and you should see some good gains...No lag delay like a turbo either....Love the superchargers!!!! Just wish the Eatons could put out more juice.....
Old 08-20-06, 01:14 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Fantastic, man!! I am glad to see you step up. Looking forward to seeing your progress...

Ryan
Ryan, I have been following your project as well and it looks like it is going to be top of the line! I may need to talk about transmissions with you being down that road before. If I recall you upgraded your valve body for better shifts, I am interested in doing that as well. What else can be done to the stock SC4 tranny to improve its HP handling? Did I read you actully now have replaced your transmision?

Last edited by ScottURnot; 08-20-06 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 01:36 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Edited due to double thread

Last edited by ScottURnot; 08-20-06 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 11:05 AM
stokdd
Driver

To end all answers:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...0a00f132ff.htm
Old 08-27-06, 07:15 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stokdd
Looks like a bunch of SC300 Turbo cars. No question Turbo is the way to go on the SC300, but The SC400 is where the question is.

Don't care, My supercharger is on its way! Cant Wait!
Old 08-27-06, 07:58 PM
stokdd
Driver

Uhhh......watch the video that plays automatically
Old 08-28-06, 04:49 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stokdd
Uhhh......watch the video that plays automatically
Twin turbo 8.6 liter (522ci) big bock chevy? Yes its Fast, yes it has a lot of Horse power, could it have the same power supercharged? Yes! Is it a Lexus/Toyota motor? No. Still cool. I like all the Lexus vids better!
Old 08-28-06, 08:29 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Turbo'ing the Sc's - No instant torque with turbo's..Spool up time stinks..Clutch or no clutch..Power on demand is the best....However these turbo's can achieve heaps of power by boosting away in comparison to supercharging..(The SC's I am speaking about) Big block Chevy's and Fords are a different monster.....Also cost savings is more evident when Turbo'ing in comparison to Supercharging..

Supercharging - Power on demand... Since it is run off the engine crank there is no delay the engine turns and so does the charger.. Unlike the exhaust driven turbo's...Down side power is limited when supercharging the SC's...Eaton's included....

Depends on what your taste is really and your HP goals....I may have to Turbo the SC400 and go with a wicked torque converter to offset the lag...Boosting away could be a blast.....

However, my love is with the charger, but I don't see too many chargers putting out much juice on the SC's as disappointing as that may sound...300-350whp gets old pretty fast...400-500whp gets old real slow... Horsepower is a drug and you can never get enough....
Old 08-29-06, 05:17 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Ryan, I have been following your project as well and it looks like it is going to be top of the line! I may need to talk about transmissions with you being down that road before. If I recall you upgraded your valve body for better shifts, I am interested in doing that as well. What else can be done to the stock SC4 tranny to improve its HP handling? Did I read you actully now have replaced your transmision?

Scott:

Thanks for the kudos...Keep in mind, SC400 has the A340E 4 speed automatic transmission. I did change out the stock valve body with one from MV Automatics, Michael Vidau out of Australia. I put a Stage 1 in for easier shifts...It definitely shifts faster and harder when getting on the throttle...I have no idea how it will feel with the doubled power of my Stage I TT project, but will know very shortly. I have made no other mods to the tranny on my car...I will be swapping out the 4 speed auto for the V160 Getrag 6-speed manual very shortly.

From all the research I have done, the stock A340E can be built to handle up to approximately 500 WHP and similar torque. The 2 companies doing this the most are BoostLogic, and IPT. BoostLogic will do it for approximately $2,000. IPT is about $800 to $1,000 more. I cannot say which is better. I know they replace the stock clutch packs with upgraded Raybestos parts, they adjust the line pressure, possibly per gear, and they should be replacing the second gear sprag with something more beefy and durable. Not bad for what you get. It is critical to completely flush the whole system and install the trans back in properly, or failure will result. So, for a Supercharged SC400 with a MP90 (the latest version from Magnusson- the only authorized Eaton dealer in the US), I don't ecpect you can get much more power than that, but what awesome power it will be!! And available instantly. I expect, to get that much power, you will need to cool the air with either an intercooler, or water/methanol injection. You will also need to upgrade your stock injectors, as they will not support that much power.

Hope that helps...

Ryan
Old 08-29-06, 05:26 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jibbby
Turbo'ing the Sc's - No instant torque with turbo's..Spool up time stinks..Clutch or no clutch.....
Jibby, I must disagree with you here...Although it is true that turbo lag is a real issue, this is not the case with every car...the key is in how you design and craft the turbo system. There are many ball-bearing designs that virtually eliminate any lag at all...Proper design is critical to success. My turbos are twin ball bearing hybrids, I specifically chose them to keep lag at a minimum, and yet still yield high HP. We'll see what happens when it gets finished...

Ryan
Old 08-29-06, 05:35 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Scott:

Thanks for the kudos...Keep in mind, SC400 has the A340E 4 speed automatic transmission. I did change out the stock valve body with one from MV Automatics, Michael Vidau out of Australia. I put a Stage 1 in for easier shifts...It definitely shifts faster and harder when getting on the throttle...I have no idea how it will feel with the doubled power of my Stage I TT project, but will know very shortly. I have made no other mods to the tranny on my car...I will be swapping out the 4 speed auto for the V160 Getrag 6-speed manual very shortly.

From all the research I have done, the stock A340E can be built to handle up to approximately 500 WHP and similar torque. The 2 companies doing this the most are BoostLogic, and IPT. BoostLogic will do it for approximately $2,000. IPT is about $800 to $1,000 more. I cannot say which is better. I know they replace the stock clutch packs with upgraded Raybestos parts, they adjust the line pressure, possibly per gear, and they should be replacing the second gear sprag with something more beefy and durable. Not bad for what you get. It is critical to completely flush the whole system and install the trans back in properly, or failure will result. So, for a Supercharged SC400 with a MP90 (the latest version from Magnusson- the only authorized Eaton dealer in the US), I don't ecpect you can get much more power than that, but what awesome power it will be!! And available instantly. I expect, to get that much power, you will need to cool the air with either an intercooler, or water/methanol injection. You will also need to upgrade your stock injectors, as they will not support that much power.

Hope that helps...

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for all the info. Just thinking, if you put in your 6-speed what are you doing with your old transmision, Or more importanly the valve body? If you want to sell it and it will fit a 97 sc400 PLEASE put me first in line.
Old 08-29-06, 05:50 AM
Sweetser
Driver

Turbo because how are you going to put all that low-end torque to use on the streets? You'll have no traction. Also from a dig, turbos will prevail because the supercharged vehicle will be left spinning it's tires.
Old 08-29-06, 06:04 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sweetser
Turbo because how are you going to put all that low-end torque to use on the streets? You'll have no traction. Also from a dig, turbos will prevail because the supercharged vehicle will be left spinning it's tires.

Do you all remember the video of the black supercharged Soarer V8 racing a pick up truck in Australia? I believe it was Neil from Rush Imports. That pickup beat him because he sat there and burned rubber, tons of white tire smoke, but went nowhere fast....He had loads of torque, but not loads of speed.

With all cars, when racing, the car and the mods are only part of the equation...You have to learn how to drive that vehicle and launch it properly to get good time slips...

I expect that when I get my 6-speed swapped in, along with Stage II motor, I will need to launch in second gear for good times, as first gear will simply kill my rear tires...

Within 6 months of completing this car, I have plans on my next project...a 2002 Porsche carrera 4s with an aftermarket turbo...After that, I am just going to take a break, and enjoy driving both cars...

Ryan

Quick Reply: The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge