Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Supercharger or turbocharger?
Supercharger
50.71%
Turbocharger
49.29%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 12:33 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan that is what I have with Nos and my setup, tons of torque and lowend power and no speed...However lowend power is a blast and petty fast 0-60mph..Traction was an issue for a while for me but I have it under control somewhat now....My car is pretty much a dog after 60mph.....

Turbo's - Topend power is a rush too and you achieve the real speed that way.., a good steady pull is oh so nice too......... Again depends what your racing interests are, the quarter mile or 0-60mph street racing...

With real instant torque like with Nos or a Supercharger setup you will usually jump out in front every time you race, that is once you have mastered yours cars traction. When I race I grip and go from a dead stop...I get jerked hard against the back of my seat at launch and pulls strong in the first two gears......Front end lifts up a bit too....and then the other car I am racing is usually trying to catching up...

Which is better jumping out in front and trying to hold them off from winning the race or trying to play catchup with a turbo and come from behind to win?...That is how I see it in most setups when comparing turbo's to Superchargers...

I think traction and drivetrain gearing is oh so important too.....

That is just my take on it overall and generally speaking...

Performance automatic transmissions -

What do you guys think of the Supra TT auto tranny in our SC4's...They hold 500whp too, have a longer first gear, more clutch plates, better shifting and really is a true performance automatic transmission...They bolt right in...Nobody talks about this swap, only boost logic stock built tranny's...I don't get it????..I think the stock Supra auto TT tranny will out perform most built stock Sc400 trannies...Look at what those Supra Auto's TT do 0-60mph in with just 300whp...What the mid 4's... See my point?
Old 08-29-06, 01:23 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jibbby,
This topic could go forever, I’ll say it again. It doesn’t matter what you do to your car there is always somebody faster so why get all wrapped up in it? The important this is to do something if you feel the need. Although my car won’t be the fastest, once it’s supercharged it will definitely be faster. At very least I can claim the title for the quickest SC400 in my town and maybe my state (provided Ryan SC400TT stays out of my town) LOL

It is so hard to compare Turbos with Superchargers because there are so many progressive levels of both.

Bottom line, GET BOOSTED, Its going to fun!
Old 08-29-06, 06:06 PM
jibbby

Right on SCOTT - I'm not all caught up in this...I am running on NOS, the poor mans solution for part time power..... but maybe turbo'd soon...I wouldn't mind being supercharged either...It's all good my friend....Power is power, right? Yes, there is always a car out there faster then yours...However, it's always fun when your ride is right up there with the fastest....I am not saying mine is the fastest, not by any long shot either, I do ok 0-60mph under the juice that is all I am saying......and would like to do even better....

PS. Ryan still has to get that monster running...I can beat him right now with my AWD Toyota Land Cruiser..HA HA....No offense Ryan....
Old 08-29-06, 06:23 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I hear you jibbby, I bet the Nos hits harder in the moment than my supercharger will. I guess if the supercharger leaves me wanting I always have my NX wet system just setting there doing nothing. I have the NX F&F system with Purge, remote bottle opener, and the fire and Ice heater. It kind of sucks just letting it set there until my supercharger kit comes. I'm setting here wondering if I should do the NX system with the supercharger? Its either that or somebody gets a hell of a deal on a brand new NX system? Decisions decisions? Truthfully the Car could probably take both depending on what boost I run.

Anybody out there have experience with NOS on a supercharged motor?
Old 08-29-06, 06:45 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize 1987 tech. is outdated but I owned an 87 grand national that had 98,000 miles when I bought it, I spent lots of money on mods, aluminum wheels, it was weak, inconsistent, and i sold it a long time ago. I say all of this to remind us of the real world challenges of modding already dependable running cars. That said , the reason i voted s/c was i would think it woluld be an easier install, needing fewer add. parts. Not the ultimate set up, but sounds real world to me. Jibby i see we both found a better web-site. I would like to see a complete kit for sale for the s/charger.
Old 08-30-06, 06:45 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Sorry, for anyone that isnt familiar with the Buick grand national it is a turbocharged intercooled 3.8 liter rwd muscle car.
Old 08-30-06, 07:26 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by over40driv
Sorry, for anyone that isnt familiar with the Buick grand national it is a turbocharged intercooled 3.8 liter rwd muscle car.
I know it well, they were very impresive cars! And Fast!
Old 08-31-06, 02:23 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Scott, the point about that car was that being a turbo car, i was very disapointed with the consistency and the power, i bought all kinds of mods. went over every sq. inch under hood, was running 18 to 20 lbs. boost and just couldnt make it run right. Granted every car is different, personally i would like to try the s/c for the aforementioned reasons. I know you are in the middle of t.turboing your car and i wish you the best.
Old 08-31-06, 02:28 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Scott, the point about that car was that being a turbo car, i was very disapointed with the consistency and the power, i bought all kinds of mods. went over every sq. inch under hood, was running 18 to 20 lbs. boost and just couldnt make it run right. Granted every car is different, personally i would like to try the s/c for the aforementioned reasons. I know you are in the middle of t.turboing your car and i wish you the best.
No, I am in the middle of supercharging my 97SC400, Ryan is doing the Turbos.
Old 08-31-06, 02:59 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Scott, thanks for straightening that out for me, ill be interested to see whos does the best job.
Old 08-31-06, 06:17 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott, thanks for straightening that out for me, ill be interested to see whos does the best job.
I don't think one can fairly make a judgement like that...Each project is different, even if the projects both use turbos, or superchargers...Each project has its list of priorities and compromises...The key is to design and craft the project so as to get the best overall effect. This gets you to your goal...

Anyway, I too liked the Grand National,and it was Hella fast...But it suffered from the same litany of GM fit and finsh issues that most every car they made back then did...Even my C4 Vete...same thing...GM has certainly improved, but they still don't compare to Toyota/Lexus quality, IMHO...

Ryan
Old 08-31-06, 08:11 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with Ryan on this one. Two total different projects, Ryans is much more extreme! If we were to hook up, Ryan's car would no doubt take mine but then again two total differnt animals. Ryans Car is going to Bad @$$ for sure. Mine should also be pretty sweet. I cant wait for both of these cars to get boosted! My manifold should be here in about a week, then I will shoot some picks and start the transformation thread. Cant wait! Lots more to come! stay tunned!

Last edited by ScottURnot; 08-31-06 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 02:26 PM
jibbby

Scott - Did you know that you can run Nitrous in addition to your Eaton supercharger...That would be probably more power then the stock drivetrain parts can handle...But you could achieve maybe a 50-100hp nos shot with the Eaton...That would be wicked....Think about it... You could hook up your nos system in half a day and run it off your stock ECU...Just would need a high volume fuel pump which you will need anyway for your supercharger...Just something to think about...

I would still drive a Grand National today if it was in prestine condition...With a few mod's those cars rip big time...Even in todays standards...
Old 09-04-06, 05:51 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Jibbby,
I was actually considering the NX system and supercharger (see about 10 or 11 post up) I just wonder the threashhold (breaking point) of the Motor/ drivetrain. I may just do it, Its not like I need to go buy it since I already did. For now, I am waiting for my Kit to show up, X-Mas in September!
Old 09-06-06, 07:03 AM
jibbby

350whp would be the most I would push on the stock tranny (that is with a tranny cooler too) ...The stock 1uz..Engines are known to be stronger and hold up better then the stock SC4 trannies...That is as long as you are dialed in and tuned properly... I don't think the 1uz-fe stock engine would give out even at 400whp when tuned.....I am at around 300whp with nos for what is going on over two years now and I have experienced no problems what so ever with my engine.. However, I notice a bit of troubled shifting at times, drive shaft u-joint wear which I already rebuilt and balanced.. but that is it...Nos is abit jolting to the drivetrain unlike turbo's and superchargers.....However my engine Still purs and does not use oil.. I beat on it daily too....

Forgies and a built tranny would be a must when going for more then 400whp in my opinion...

Quick Reply: The Ultimate SC400 Question: Supercharge or Turbocharge