Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny will not shift until warm? whats going on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 09:22 AM
928owner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pirate,
Thanks for the feedback!

Well, you solved the problem, for sure. I still think that there may be an issue with the solenoids. Once I have monitored all active inputs and outputs from the ECU and if found OK, I will focus on the actual solenoids. This appears to be somewhat common. If it is not the solenoids, then I would suspect the pump, however I do not have the equipment to test pressures. In that case I will locate a used unit locally. This transmission is not super diificult to replace, as I have had it out a couple of times, once to add the Precsion Industries purple dragon converter, the other time to replace a front oil seal. I would really like to know what the cause is if I can before I drop the transmission. The solenoids are easy to replace except the conectors disintigrate when touched, so I will have to solder the connections in place if it turns out to be a "lazy" solenoid.

Old 02-22-05, 05:18 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

good luck with the swap!
Old 07-26-20, 08:22 AM
BC1234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FireCode
I might as well just buy a different car when the big dump happens. No way I'm paying that much. I just can't do it. The car has 153,000 miles on it.
its a simple fix my es 300 does it from time to time and its not the shift solenoids but instead its just not working right because the transmission fluid temperature is cold which makes the fluid too thick to circulate so what happens is the fluid drains out of the torque converter over night or when parked long enough for the motor to cool off to room temperature and thus causing the fluid to thicken back up as it once again drains from the torque converter and since the fluid is cooled off its thick again and it just takes a while to recirculate through the system and back into the converter.... just let your car warm up and it will be fine and i wish i could post a picture of my mileage because my es300 has 587,961 miles on it .. im fixing to roll 600,000 and it still drives like a Cadillac... the only thing is every morning it has to warm up before the tranny fluid recirculates back into the converter before it will move and if i try to hit the gas before it warms the transmission up its almost like i have the emergency brake on and hitting the brakes at the same time but do not panick or worry about this just go crank your car 10 minutes before you need to leave and by the time your ready to go you can get in it and take off with no problem ... like i said before im fixing to roll 600,000miles on my 97 es300 ...its simply just old and tired and it needs a few minutes each morning to stretch and get woke up good before doing anything lol...