Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

If you had 5 grand to spend...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-04, 09:00 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Building Blocks For Turbo

If turbo is your goal, here's what should be done first in order:

1. Maintenance. Make sure the car is in tip top shape. Replace anything worn/broken/out of spec.
2. Suspension. The first mod anyone should do.
3. Wheels/tires. 15" bubbalicious rubber won't give you the safe handling you're gonna need.
4. BRAKES. The stock brakes are just plain dangerous on this car. Get LS4 brakes or Supra TT.

At this point you have a real nice platform that lacks nothing but more power. It runs nice, handles nice, and stops nice. NOW you are ready for 100+ extra RWHP.

Of course with the turbo there are other things you are gonna need. LSD, exhaust, a better clutch, etc, etc. My list above is only chassis mods required to handle the kit. Driveline is all you depending on exactly how much power you want and your preferences.

You may want to do the turbo right off the bat, but trust me on this... The four mods I listed above will yield a more fun car without a turbo than a bone stock car with a turbo. Not to mention MUCH more safe. A bone stock car with a turbo kit will be just plain dangerous. It won't stop, it won't turn and you'll have NO control of all that power. Where's the fun in that?

It's better to set up the chassis, get used to it's dynamics, and THEN slap the kit on and enjoy it. That way you already know how the car behaves and you only amplify the power output and adjust (mostly the smile on your face) accordingly.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-04, 10:10 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my world 5K for car mods doesnt come around too often. If it were me I would do the turbo now when I had the lump sum of cash. Then you can add the other lower cost items on one at a time. I could come up with 1500 a lot more frequently than I could come up with 5K

325hp isnt that much where it it imperative that you toss all kinds of money into the other parts of the car immediately, it would be nice but it isnt imperative.
Old 12-24-04, 11:11 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chitwnsazn
how hard is it to upgrade to the ls400 brakes?
the ls400 calipers bolt right in. if you know how to change rotor and brake pads then your good to go.
Old 12-24-04, 11:25 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I went with

Brakes-1g (supra tt with brembos/hawks)
Tein SS -800
Rims-3-4g w/tires
Hids
etc

If i had to do it all over again i'd go turbo first. The stock brakes weren't that bad as long as you didn't push them too hard or throw bigger rims on the car. For 5g you can buy he ls4 brakes and a turbo kit. That's the way I'd go. Just don't go on top speed runs or into turns too crazy. I regret buying the rims the most because they cost me the most and gave me nothing but problems in nyc. With that much money spent on the rims back then, I could have had my car fully built by now with kit/fuel/tranny and headgasket. This is including the money I saved all over again for my turbo kit of course. So in short, I think turbo kit is the best way to go .

p.s don't forget that you will need extra money for controllers,fuel, installation and tuning.

Last edited by mrshabo; 12-24-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-24-04, 12:05 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

would 5 grand cover getting a turbo kit from SP And having them install it? I don't know how hard it is to install a turbo but I have always done all the work on my cars myself and have a bunch of relatives as mechanics (probably to lazy to help though). If you say I can get brake upgrades (with stock tt wheels) and the turbo, then I would...would you recommed brakes over sway bars though (best bang for the buck in terms of safety and turbo compliment)? Thanks guy for all your opinions
Old 12-24-04, 12:54 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chitwnsazn
would 5 grand cover getting a turbo kit from SP And having them install it? I don't know how hard it is to install a turbo but I have always done all the work on my cars myself and have a bunch of relatives as mechanics (probably to lazy to help though). If you say I can get brake upgrades (with stock tt wheels) and the turbo, then I would...would you recommed brakes over sway bars though (best bang for the buck in terms of safety and turbo compliment)? Thanks guy for all your opinions

Sways and coilovers before brakes in my opinion. BBK are overrated, in terms of performance even the LS400 upgrade could be thought of as nice to have but not neccessary. Many people say you can get drastically improved braking simply by going with upgraded aftermarket pads. I know this for a fact, While I would like to do BBK for looks, I am currently running the OEM brakes with aftermarket pads. The improvement is like night and day. Before I spend my money on brakes I did coilobers, sways, blower, LSD, TC ,wheels and other things. I still have to do bracing that will also probably come before the BBK.

Just so you know where I am coming from
Old 12-24-04, 02:13 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I'd only go with those turbo kits if your looking for a lot of hp. If your only looking for 300-400 hp, i'd go with the dave h kit. IMO there's no point in spending all that money on those kits unless your looking for maximum hp. My mechanic said it will be roughly around 1000 to install and tune my car. That's with fuel system installation too (that's with installation of a ems and a little tuning from his fjo). I don't know how that price is compared to SP but it doesn't sound like too much. I'd like to get sways too but i'd get them after the turbo kit installation. Although sways maybe fun, there's nothing like 20+ pounds of boost kicking you in the a@@ at wot.
Old 12-24-04, 02:54 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I think the ls400 caliper are a good investment its only 300 for a big increase in stopping power if you already have rims that can clear it. The stock brakes aint bad at all but they were not made to stop the car properly with bigger wheels or an extra 100hp. so I thnk better to just invest the extra money for your own safety.
Old 12-26-04, 11:34 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Smile

invest in the stock market and make 10X the money and do all the mods you want to do
Old 12-27-04, 10:52 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

sorry the stockk market made me lose so I'll just invest in something that'll for sure make me happy