Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 04:35 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you beantown guys... i'm in San Francisco till next week sometime so I'll give you guys a call when i get back..

PM me with your phone numbers.
Old 11-16-05, 05:20 PM
octane103
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VS whats the difference in the bellhousing for LHD or RHD?
Old 11-28-05, 08:51 PM
ga0887
Driver School Candidate

Talking

So how's the project going?
Old 11-30-05, 04:18 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by octane103
VS whats the difference in the bellhousing for LHD or RHD?

clutch fork is on oppsoite sides. also clearance for headders.
Old 11-30-05, 04:19 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ga0887
So how's the project going?

it is nearly finished. the transmission has to get bolted back on and that's it.

HOwver I will be not getting the car back till next spring. I moved and I don't have space for 2 cars so I will have to wait till next year to drive it.
Old 12-01-05, 01:47 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking up some stuff on the R154 and I found that a weak point on the R154 is that it has a very flimsy thrust washer. It's easily replaced but if you ever go back in there you might want to get a stronger version. I guess the original is cast construction. The specific one that fails is the one in the first gear.
Old 12-18-05, 06:13 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koma
I was looking up some stuff on the R154 and I found that a weak point on the R154 is that it has a very flimsy thrust washer. It's easily replaced but if you ever go back in there you might want to get a stronger version. I guess the original is cast construction. The specific one that fails is the one in the first gear.

yeah I have DIY on the thrust bushing replacement. parts are cheap and easy to do. Thanks for the heads up
Old 12-18-05, 06:19 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

so here goes the progress report.

I haven't driven the car or seen it in some months but this is the report I got from the mech.

so far the rush headders have been completely modified to accomodate the tranny.

Tranny bolts up now without anything getting in the way.

Tranny shifts through all the gears.

Interior pieces, shifters, pedals etc etc are all in.

all sensor wires are plugged in.

hydraulic lines are run

master and slave cylinders are in

she is going to get shipped out to get exhaust done in couple of weeks. Then it's going to get shipped out to get the new bodykit installed. Then I have to get new wheel studs to replace the old ones. Then she'll go get new system installed.

I reckon another 2-3 months and I'll have it back in my hands.

So finally she's manual.
Old 12-18-05, 06:32 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VSsc400
clutch fork is on oppsoite sides. also clearance for headders.
thats odd. Does this only apply to the r154? because the 6 speed has the fork on the same side. I thought all the people who have swapped the r154 into their 300s, didn't have to do this.
Old 12-18-05, 09:05 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i think he had to because its a V8 peter. our fork in on the drivers side, and the exhaust runs down the passenger side. i guess there is just more clearance on the passenger side for the fork with the 400. makes sence.
Old 12-18-05, 09:22 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

you bring new meaning to the phrase "patience is a virtue"

i think you have mastered it, i would have been pulling out my hair by now waiting, lol. Is the driveshaft hooked up?
Old 12-29-05, 08:04 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Detuned: This only applies to the bellhousing. They made the hole on the opposite side of where it had to be so that custom process to correct it, is what took the longest.

Xir: unfortunately the driveshaft is not hooked up yet, but we are using front 1/2 of soarer R154 and rear 1/2 of the SC400 and it lines up without modifications.

I knew this was going to be a long project so I let the mechanic have as much time as he needed. I told him to work on it when he has time and that I wouldn't need the car till April. That's another reason why the progress has been slow.

Like I said she's all done, it just needs few things buttoned up here and there. The car will be roadworthy again by late february or early march.
Old 12-29-05, 10:18 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Im glad to hear about the driveshaft, ive started buying parts (thank you for your list) so i can do this conversion as well. I really only have 2 questions right now, what do you plan to do about your display of gears between your Tachometer and your Spedometer? I was thinking about taking out the lightbulbs then fill it up with some putty then paint over it all a dull black (to match the rest of the cluster). Not really sure now, thatll be my last concern though! I also wonder if i can get cruise control to work. In order for your car to start, it has to be in neutral or park. Do you know if your mechanic is wiring it up so that the tranny is always in park or neutral? I was thinking about wiring so its always in drive. But when i depress the clutch pedal all the way there is a switch there (comes stock) and it will tell the computer that im in neutral. So when i depress clutch, im in neutral and i can start, and when i release clutch im in drive, and hopefully my cruise control can work? Just doing some thinking, i donno.

Best wishes for the car!, Nick
Old 01-04-06, 08:55 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

This is thread is hope to many. Thanks VSsc400.

Question, i didnt read every single post on 13 pages, but i read alot of them and i didnt see anything mentioned about the rear diff.
Are you using the stock sc400 rear diff?
Does anybody know if there would be any problems with using the stock rear diff?
Does anybody know what the best supra torsen rear end would be with this trans?
Old 01-04-06, 05:46 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xirforever
Im glad to hear about the driveshaft, ive started buying parts (thank you for your list) so i can do this conversion as well. I really only have 2 questions right now, what do you plan to do about your display of gears between your Tachometer and your Spedometer? I was thinking about taking out the lightbulbs then fill it up with some putty then paint over it all a dull black (to match the rest of the cluster). Not really sure now, thatll be my last concern though! I also wonder if i can get cruise control to work. In order for your car to start, it has to be in neutral or park. Do you know if your mechanic is wiring it up so that the tranny is always in park or neutral? I was thinking about wiring so its always in drive. But when i depress the clutch pedal all the way there is a switch there (comes stock) and it will tell the computer that im in neutral. So when i depress clutch, im in neutral and i can start, and when i release clutch im in drive, and hopefully my cruise control can work? Just doing some thinking, i donno.

Best wishes for the car!, Nick
The car is going to show "N" when you are driving the car. I have the sensor for "P" being triggerred when I put the hand brake on.
The car will start on either Park or Neutral.
I'm not sure about the cruise control. I can ask. I am most likely going to disable the whole cruise control feature altogether so i didn't bother. I'll ask though.
I think alternatively you can have SC300 5speed dash put in. I'm not sure if all the plugs are the same (I think they are but don't quote me on it)

Quick Reply: bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)