Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 11:20 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another question.

how many speed sensors on the 92 SC400?
I'm seeing 2 on the tranny (one for speedo/cruise another for ABS)
is there a 3rd on the tailshaft? I don't see it but I could be wrong.
Old 12-29-04, 12:28 PM
octane103
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

i dont belive the pedals will work from the supra. i had ordered new pedals from lexus about six or seven months ago and i had to wait 2 months to get it. since i was impatient, i went to a local junkyard and yanked the clutch pedal from a mklll and it did not fit (boltholes slightly off and angle is wrong). you can order sc300 pedals and they will go in with no problems.

as far as the speed sensors, i believe the biggest plug is the speedo and the smaller one is for the reverse lights. for the ABS to work you have to find a later model soarer tranny that has the abs sensor on the back of the tailshaft.
Old 12-29-04, 12:40 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

onctane 103

here is my revised list

R154 transmission from Japanese Soarer with ~20k miles. Taken from Soarer front clip
MkIII and Lexus tailhousings to mate to either, with both rear cross-members included
Clutch fork
Shifter (from soarer)
CRS kit
Clutch pedal, master cylinder, 2 slave cylinders, and hardlines from the Soarer front clip
R-154 driveshaft

besides those listed what else would I need?
I can also get the 1JZ bellhousing but I couldn't use it even if I wanted to right?
Old 12-29-04, 01:31 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's doing the work?
Old 12-29-04, 01:33 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Technics
Who's doing the work?

I'm doing the work
Old 12-29-04, 01:41 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VSsc400
I'm doing the work
Coo, I'd like to check it out mang.
Old 12-29-04, 01:42 PM
octane103
Pole Position

Default .

unless you are doing this to a right hand drive car, the pedals wont work. not too sure about the master cylinder either. as far as the hardlines go, you probably cannot use those either since the bends will be exact opposite if what you need. you can by the hardlines really cheap from a local parts store and bend them yourself. its really easy.

you wont have any use for the 1j bellhousing either, but at least you can sell that quick and recoup some money.

oh yeah, if it's a left hand drive car.......you will need brake and clutch pedals from 92-00 sc300 manual. you can order them from any lexus dealer.

Last edited by octane103; 12-29-04 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-29-04, 02:10 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by octane103
unless you are doing this to a right hand drive car, the pedals wont work. not too sure about the master cylinder either. as far as the hardlines go, you probably cannot use those either since the bends will be exact opposite if what you need. you can by the hardlines really cheap from a local parts store and bend them yourself. its really easy.

you wont have any use for the 1j bellhousing either, but at least you can sell that quick and recoup some money.

oh yeah, if it's a left hand drive car.......you will need brake and clutch pedals from 92-00 sc300 manual. you can order them from any lexus dealer.
re-re-re-updated list
R154 transmission from Japanese Soarer
o MkIII and Lexus tailhousings to mate to either, with both rear cross-members
o Clutch fork
o Shifter (no ****)
o R-154 driveshaft (not shown in pictures)
CRS complete kit (with clutch/pressure plate/flywheel/ bearings
sc300 bezel/trim/boot/****
sc300 manual master cyl/slave cyl/hardlines/brake and clutch pedals

that should be all the correct hardware I need for the conversion to be done correctly right?

Last edited by VSsc400; 12-30-04 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 07:50 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

little update

my buddy and I've been sourcing parts all week.
the following has been bought (some already here some on the way)

R154 from Soarer front cut with correct length shifter linkage for the SC3/400s!!!
R154 clutch fork from the same soarer
rear cross members
factory shifter
R-154 driveshaft
redline tranny fluid.
Sc300 clutch pedal
sc300 brake pedal
sc300 boot
sc300 bezel
sc300 slave cylinder
sc300 clutch master cylinder
sc300 hard line for slave to master cyl

still sourcing
dellows or CRS bellhousing kit (which includes pressure plate, clutch, flywheel with ring gear and bearing)

Once we're able to source the bellhousing kit we'll start the work.

let me know if I'm missing anything

thanks
Old 12-31-04, 12:25 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

if anyone can answer this question.

do I have to use
1JZ - R154 factory clutch fork
1JZ - R154 factory flywheel
1JZ - R154 factory clutch
1JZ - R154 factory pressure plate
1JZ - R154 pilot bearing
1JZ - R154 throwout bearing

or do I have to use all 7M - R154 parts?
or can I use either or?

thanks

dennis
Old 12-31-04, 07:21 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Dennis,
thought I'd reply to you on here to share the info.

I am Miles B. I am from Australia not NZ. I did not group buy anything from Rod. I haven't been to see him yet - his shop is about a 2 hour drive from my house. I busted my R154 while putting it back together after repairing a stuck synchro. That's why the project is on hold. I would call Rod, not email him. I haven't heard of him shipping anything to the US - if he doesn't want to, I would be glad to help out. I think the kit is about $1000 AU, and you get a housing, flywheel, clutch, fork and slave cyl. I THINK. Only Rod can tell you.

AFAIK, the JZ housing will NOT fit the UZ.
The stock auto driveshaft can be cheaply modified to fit the 154.
The shifter is box dependent. I have an old Celica shifter and a MA70 box, with the "forward-er" shifter housing. The Soarer TT housing extends maybe 3 inches further back. I am hoping to modify the shifter, not have to buy a whole new housing.

Dellows have a decent reputation, and I know they know a lot about conversions - but I have heard they can be sloppy, making stuff that doesn't quite fit right. I would go with Rod (CRS).
Old 01-01-05, 11:08 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fred Smith
Dennis,
thought I'd reply to you on here to share the info.

I am Miles B. I am from Australia not NZ. I did not group buy anything from Rod. I haven't been to see him yet - his shop is about a 2 hour drive from my house. I busted my R154 while putting it back together after repairing a stuck synchro. That's why the project is on hold. I would call Rod, not email him. I haven't heard of him shipping anything to the US - if he doesn't want to, I would be glad to help out. I think the kit is about $1000 AU, and you get a housing, flywheel, clutch, fork and slave cyl. I THINK. Only Rod can tell you.

AFAIK, the JZ housing will NOT fit the UZ.
The stock auto driveshaft can be cheaply modified to fit the 154.
The shifter is box dependent. I have an old Celica shifter and a MA70 box, with the "forward-er" shifter housing. The Soarer TT housing extends maybe 3 inches further back. I am hoping to modify the shifter, not have to buy a whole new housing.

Dellows have a decent reputation, and I know they know a lot about conversions - but I have heard they can be sloppy, making stuff that doesn't quite fit right. I would go with Rod (CRS).
thank you miles!!!
So I get a housing, (spacer), flywheel, clutch, form and slave cyl? (no pressure plate?)
are the flywheel, and clutch custom made pieces? what car were they designed for?
I'm hoping to get just the bellhousing and buying the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate so i can save heaps on the shipping. If I knew what the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate were designed for originally then I would be able to source them here in the US
I have a soarer tailshaft and also a MA70 tailshaft. The soarer tailshaft is as you say 3" further back.
I will try to get in contact with Rod and if I am unsuccessful I will take you up on your offer.
Thank you for the help.
If you can just help me getting the information on what the clutch, pressure plate, clutch fork, and flywheel were designed for I would appreciate it very much.
thank you
happy new year.
Old 01-02-05, 06:19 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

I'll do my best to get a hold of Rod and get some info for you. With any luck I should be able to get back onto my 154 in a few more weeks and find what I buggered when I put it back together. I'm pretty sure you can use another Toyota's (possibly a 1J or a 3S) flywheel and put the auto ring gear on it. The pressure plate and clutch - 90% sure Rod has them made by a custom-ish pp and clutch house here, so a similar place there like RPS or something should be good to do it.
Old 01-02-05, 06:31 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fred Smith
I'll do my best to get a hold of Rod and get some info for you. With any luck I should be able to get back onto my 154 in a few more weeks and find what I buggered when I put it back together. I'm pretty sure you can use another Toyota's (possibly a 1J or a 3S) flywheel and put the auto ring gear on it. The pressure plate and clutch - 90% sure Rod has them made by a custom-ish pp and clutch house here, so a similar place there like RPS or something should be good to do it.
I had the pleasure of chatting a bit on line with Peter Watson and he's informed me that he was able to use MKIII flywheel, pressure plate and clutch and just had the flywheel re-drilled to fit the 1UZ and the rest fit just perfect.(This would be a cheaper alternative over using custom parts and more aftermarket potential) No need to swap ring gears from what he said. Can you confirm this fact? He does say that he used clutch, pressure plate and re-drilled flywheel from his MKIII.
thank you for speaking to Rod in my behalf. Please ask him if he will sell just the bellhousing and the spacer and what the price would be.
I should be have pictures of all the components that i have thus far in about a week. I will post them up.
thank you again and hope to hear from you soon.
dennis
Old 01-03-05, 10:50 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

some parts update.
Attached Thumbnails bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)-clutch-fork.jpg  

Quick Reply: bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)