Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 10:33 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1UZ is much wider then the 2JZ, I wonder if there will be enough room for the master brake cylinder. I talked to Neil and stated that the LS would have difficulty fitting it in. However, SC400 is a different animal.
Old 01-19-05, 05:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
The 1UZ is much wider then the 2JZ, I wonder if there will be enough room for the master brake cylinder. I talked to Neil and stated that the LS would have difficulty fitting it in. However, SC400 is a different animal.
There seems to be good enough room for it. When we make space for it, we're going to make sure that it will be easily accessible. We are trying to make it look as factory as possible.

If you hear any more information on this let me know as I would like to have everyone's input.

dennis
Old 01-19-05, 05:19 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Sick project bro If you need any help with this stuff I may know the answer, after this weekend I will have dropped my tranny 3 times in the last 4 weeks. Im so glad that a CL guy is finally doing this, it always seems that those crazy Austrailian guys only do this kind of stuff. Best of luck to you man
did you run into any difficulties while you were re-installing the transmission? There was another guy who had to drop his trans and he mentioned that it was somewhat difficult to get things re-aligned.... the shop manual makes it look faily easy to drop or re-install either one of the trannies.
Old 01-19-05, 10:55 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VSsc400
did you run into any difficulties while you were re-installing the transmission? There was another guy who had to drop his trans and he mentioned that it was somewhat difficult to get things re-aligned.... the shop manual makes it look faily easy to drop or re-install either one of the trannies.
haha well the first time it was hard. But after doing it once, its easy as pie. All you have to do is put the tranny in gear, slowly jack it up in the tranny tunnel, keep the tranny input shaft as close to the pressure plate as possible without touching it, and just guide it in while jacking it up. Once you have the input shaft somewhat in the clutch, you will have to mess with the height of the tranny (or have someone push back on the engine) until the tranny slides in. Make sure the tranny is straight and everything and you should be set. And that was me doing it with my car on jackstands, if you have a lift then its even easier.

Another thing, make sure the driveshaft center bearing carrier will bolt up to the body correctly, if not, you would either have to make a new mounting point for it or modify the DS

alright man, good luck, and if you need any more help just ask

PS. Once the tranny is in but there is still a gap (about 1/2" or less), you can insert some of the bellhousing bolts and slowly and evenly drive those in to force the tranny and engine together...works like a charm
Old 01-19-05, 11:59 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

AEROSTAR: how high off the ground did you jack up the car for installation?
Old 01-19-05, 12:02 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets see, my car is lowered 2inches, then I had the rear on rhinoramps (6"), then I jacked up the front and rested the frame on jackstands about 14" off the ground. I would say the whole frame was about 13-14" inches off the ground. But the more room the better, I was limited by my crappy $10 floor jack
Old 01-19-05, 12:05 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Lets see, my car is lowered 2inches, then I had the rear on rhinoramps (6"), then I jacked up the front and rested the frame on jackstands about 14" off the ground. I would say the whole frame was about 13-14" inches off the ground. But the more room the better, I was limited by my crappy $10 floor jack
lol thank you. I have jackstands that go up 20 inches. I didn't have it all the way up but it was pretty tight getting the tranny out. I didn't want to have the car jacked up then realize that i would need jackstands that went higher lol.

thanks man.
Old 01-19-05, 03:50 PM
vaki2
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Awesome projects guys.

I just started too look into doing my sc4. I got a shop in town that does some freajy stuff with cars. They looked at it and basically if I can get the bellhousing and parts, they will work on the conversion. I have a liitle experience, did a Ford 302, 5 speed FI into a 83 280ZX. with stock hood. Complete sleeper. Now I am interested in doing this 5 speed. This is an awesome treat. Keep it alive.

good jobs guys

vaki2
Old 01-20-05, 06:03 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vaki2
Awesome projects guys.

I just started too look into doing my sc4. I got a shop in town that does some freajy stuff with cars. They looked at it and basically if I can get the bellhousing and parts, they will work on the conversion. I have a liitle experience, did a Ford 302, 5 speed FI into a 83 280ZX. with stock hood. Complete sleeper. Now I am interested in doing this 5 speed. This is an awesome treat. Keep it alive.

good jobs guys

vaki2
awesome! just remember you will also need to get the tailshaft from an R154 out of a soarer TT otherwise as stated before your shifter location will be under the radio.
Old 01-20-05, 07:07 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome! just remember you will also need to get the tailshaft from an R154 out of a soarer TT otherwise as stated before your shifter location will be under the radio.
So VS, this is definetly going to bolt up correctly?
When you figure out the right configuration I'd love to find out exactly what parts you used and how much it would cost on parts and labor. Just the parts that are necessary to fit on the SC400 not like upgraded parts. If this ends up working, I'd consider this as an option for my SC. And you could probably save some of those costs by selling off the auto tranny and all odds and ends that you bought extra.
When I first got this car I wanted to get a manual fabbed but that's alotta cash. I'd much rather have a swap over fabrication because of the price and overall reliability (Toyota parts).
I'm truly a fan of this project.
Old 01-20-05, 08:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarchMage
So VS, this is definetly going to bolt up correctly?
When you figure out the right configuration I'd love to find out exactly what parts you used and how much it would cost on parts and labor. Just the parts that are necessary to fit on the SC400 not like upgraded parts. If this ends up working, I'd consider this as an option for my SC. And you could probably save some of those costs by selling off the auto tranny and all odds and ends that you bought extra.
When I first got this car I wanted to get a manual fabbed but that's alotta cash. I'd much rather have a swap over fabrication because of the price and overall reliability (Toyota parts).
I'm truly a fan of this project.
with the custom bellhousing, R154(any) tranny, and tailshaft from a soarer TT should put it in the correct location.

I will post up once we are done with the conversion i will post up exactly what you need down to the bolt. We are going with "normal" parts and not using any upgraded parts (why spend more money when we don't even know if it's going to work?) I've never swapped out a trans but i'd rather own all the tools for the price of the labor and there is no better feeling than getting to know your car intimately.
Hopefully we will recover some money from selling whatever stuff we won't need. It sucks because by the time we are going to have a lot of parts left over. The best we can do now is to make sure that everything has a label so we know exactly what car they go on when it comes to sell them.
Old 01-20-05, 09:31 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Dennis,

You will need to change your 1UZ flywheel in order to mate with r154.
Old 01-20-05, 09:43 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Dennis,

You will need to change your 1UZ flywheel in order to mate with r154.
yes. I know.
Old 01-20-05, 11:07 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the custom bellhousing, R154(any) tranny, and tailshaft from a soarer TT should put it in the correct location.

I will post up once we are done with the conversion i will post up exactly what you need down to the bolt. We are going with "normal" parts and not using any upgraded parts (why spend more money when we don't even know if it's going to work?) I've never swapped out a trans but i'd rather own all the tools for the price of the labor and there is no better feeling than getting to know your car intimately.
Hopefully we will recover some money from selling whatever stuff we won't need. It sucks because by the time we are going to have a lot of parts left over. The best we can do now is to make sure that everything has a label so we know exactly what car they go on when it comes to sell them.
So is this why you were looking for an alternate repair guide a little while back? Because of this project?
I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm sure it'd be a large step up if I got a repair guide to help me out with this project.
Old 01-20-05, 11:49 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DarchMage
So is this why you were looking for an alternate repair guide a little while back? Because of this project?
I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm sure it'd be a large step up if I got a repair guide to help me out with this project.
naa I already got my hands on a factory manual and the transmission overhaul section of the MKIII manual. I posted the other thread to give people heads up since the factory manuals are so expensive.

I would think you would need the manuals since they tell you the proper torque values for the bolts when re-installing all the parts.

Quick Reply: bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)