Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Soarer with RB26!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-05, 10:37 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mmmm....thought it was stock....
upgraded twin turbo's and intake manifold.
Old 04-12-05, 01:46 PM
ChallenSup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal opinion on the car :

Body:
Flares look cool
Love the kit
Hood Sucks
Rim/Tire combo sucks. Just because it's a name brand and 19''s doesnt mean it looks good.

Engine :
Puts out the power of an NA-T... With alot more hassle.
I dont personally like skylines, I believe they are overrated simply because of the rarity of not being available here. I simply do not see the use in doing this except to spend money.

My .02
Old 04-12-05, 04:50 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dodgem
My personal opinion on the car :

Body:
Flares look cool
Love the kit
Hood Sucks
Rim/Tire combo sucks. Just because it's a name brand and 19''s doesnt mean it looks good.

Engine :
Puts out the power of an NA-T... With alot more hassle.
I dont personally like skylines, I believe they are overrated simply because of the rarity of not being available here. I simply do not see the use in doing this except to spend money.

My .02
actually it puts out more that an na-t with better performance..

second...what a typical die hard supra guy

when will this skyline vs. supra fued end?!?! (skylines own supras =X)

just my 2 cents
Old 04-13-05, 09:04 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reamemiya
actually it puts out more that an na-t with better performance..

second...what a typical die hard supra guy

when will this skyline vs. supra fued end?!?! (skylines own supras =X)

just my 2 cents
i agree, gt-r's do own sz's,as well as any other japanese factory performance car, thats why the skyline gtr is arguably the most coveted car japan has ever produced, and not just on this side of the pond, on the japanese side as well as the european side. id compare this feud to the domestic battle between corvettes and vipers, every vette owner knows that a viper would own their car, but they would still rather have their beloved corvette, make no mistake, gt-r's are not overrated, if they were nobody would want one, or even care about them

Last edited by FortuneLS; 04-13-05 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-13-05, 10:42 PM
ChallenSup
Driver

*First off, it was stated that THAT PARTICULAR RB26 in the Soarer, Was putting out 500hp.

*An NA-T 2J can put out that much or more, for much cheaper and less hassle. = No other use for an RB26 in that particular car than to spend money.

" gt-r's do own sz's " Notice you are bringing an AWD car into the equasion, I am just speaking of its powerplant, not the entire chassis/drivetrain. No doubt an AWD car has it's advantages in certain cases.

However, to the best of my knowledge, that Soarer is still RWD. And remember, if you want to speak of it that way, Lets Compare an RB25 RWD Skyline instead of a GTR. THAT my friend is a better match.

" gt-r's are not overrated, if they were nobody would want one "

(From Webster's)
o·ver·rate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vr-rt)
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
1.To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.
2. : make too high an estimate of

They key word is overrated. Which means its THOUGHT TOO HIGHLY OF.
I.E. everyone thinks they are the **** and wants them, although they are not very special.
You are Speaking of the GTR, when in reality they only make up a few percentage of the population of skylines. You make the reference to the supras/skylines as the vette/vipers. However, the ratio of regular skylines to GTRs would be equivalent to a ratio of regular vipers to Hennesey vipers. (notice i said RATIO, not production #s)

Make no mistake, I believe the Supra is overrated too. However I stated that the reason for the popularity of the Skyline over here is because of the rarity. You could get a damn RB20 R32 GTS-T that runs high 15's, and it'd be thought highly of ''because it's a skyline''.

And it's my personal opinion, so please dont be offended when i say the fabled car everyone builds up looks like an S14 240sx that mated with a bulldog.

+

=

* Disclaimer : Please note, I'm not trying to start stuff, just a friendly jab at another company's car. Don't Be offended.
Old 04-13-05, 11:02 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I DO like the GTR, I have to say that I do agree with most of your points I would never put a Nissan motor in a Toyota.
Old 04-13-05, 11:04 PM
GliTCH
Rookie

Originally Posted by robloc93
I love the RB(If it's in a Nissan),but this seriously offends me!! Why the hell would you desecrate the poor Soarer with the heart of the competition? The stock 1JZ and 2JZ both have there advantages over the RB and I certainly see this as a way of selling out. I hope there's no Skyline's running around with 2/1JZs. To me it's just as bad as Civic's wearing BMW/Lexus bumpers....It might look nice but itsure as hell doesn't belong there But the car LOOKS nice.....and it be nicer if the owner had modified his stock engine with big HP.I'm pretty sure they could afford it if they went to great lengths to pull off this clean installation with the wrong engine. Oh well thats my 2 cents!If my engine ever comes out it's going to be replaced by a 2JZ-GTE or something made by Toyota.
i feel ya man, its kinda like this whole medical advances controversy.. i mean sure maybe they could graft your head onto some other dudes body one day, but is it really such a good idea? what if you end up with AIDS

everybody just leave your engines in their respective cars... . you're only inviting envy from the rest of us who cant do this for the sake of maintaing a daily driver

im against anything that lets people advance their competitive skill and creativity by inviting new and challenging techniques to electro-mechanical engineering
Old 04-14-05, 01:00 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

let me start off by saying that i am not offended by what you said and i hope you are not offended by what i said. that being said i maintain my position that a gt-r is a superior car than the sz supra, look at the race history of the two, the gt-r is the winningest car in jgtc history starting with the r32 back in the early 90's all the way to the r34 of the early 00's, and the later cars were not all wheel drive, yeat still maintained superiority over the competition, and one must compare the skyline gt-r to the supra sz because both are the best car that either manufacturer has to offer, the skyline gts-t is something to be compared to the supra sz-r, in which case the skyline also totally outclasses its competitor. the whole reason they put an rb26 in that car wasnt because it was a superior motor, but because it was different, when was the last time any of us saw an rb in a soarer? a perfect example of building insane cars like this is top secret japan, they put a rb in a jza80, a vq in a bnr34, a rb in a z33, and a 3sgte in a jza80, also i have seen 13b's in datsun 510's, sr20's in ae86's and c32's in ek9's, its not about having a superior motor and more power with cars like this, its about doing something totally different and extreme, like someone said earlier noone would care about this car if it were just another 1jz or 2jz swap, but since its got an rb under the hood here we are. i believe this car deserves great praise and admiration for what it is, after all most of us could put a 1jz or 2jz in our cars, lets see anyone try an rb
Old 04-14-05, 04:44 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
its not about having a superior motor and more power with cars like this, its about doing something totally different and extreme, like someone said earlier noone would care about this car if it were just another 1jz or 2jz swap, but since its got an rb under the hood here we are. i believe this car deserves great praise and admiration for what it is, after all most of us could put a 1jz or 2jz in our cars, lets see anyone try an rb
EXACTLY. Finally i realize that im not going crazy and someone actually shares my own opinoin. As far as the comparison between the Skyline and Supra, i have to differ. If you look at the two cars, they're completely different. I dont agree with comparing base models either. The cars were designed with the GT-R in mind and the GTS/GTS-T/GTE/GTS-4/GT-T spinoffs as something for the masses. Toyota doesnt really make sports cars either. If you look at the Japan market youll see that Toyota's top models are big cruisers. The 91-02 Soarer, Crown, Tourer/Chaser/Mark II, etc.. Of course they have the Trueno and corolla, but thats in the base models. The Supra is a nice sports car with great powerband, but the Nissan style doesnt fit Toyota, i.e. large, heavy, JZ powered cars. I think the Supra was made to give a sports car for Toyota's customer base, not the typical Nissan customer. Its just like comparing a Japanese car to American car. They were designed completely differently for different situations with the same goal in mind and thats how they came out.
I respect Nissan for what they can do, and i respect Toyota for what they can do
Old 04-14-05, 09:04 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bean_8044
EXACTLY. Finally i realize that im not going crazy and someone actually shares my own opinoin. As far as the comparison between the Skyline and Supra, i have to differ. If you look at the two cars, they're completely different. I dont agree with comparing base models either. The cars were designed with the GT-R in mind and the GTS/GTS-T/GTE/GTS-4/GT-T spinoffs as something for the masses. Toyota doesnt really make sports cars either. If you look at the Japan market youll see that Toyota's top models are big cruisers. The 91-02 Soarer, Crown, Tourer/Chaser/Mark II, etc.. Of course they have the Trueno and corolla, but thats in the base models. The Supra is a nice sports car with great powerband, but the Nissan style doesnt fit Toyota, i.e. large, heavy, JZ powered cars. I think the Supra was made to give a sports car for Toyota's customer base, not the typical Nissan customer. Its just like comparing a Japanese car to American car. They were designed completely differently for different situations with the same goal in mind and thats how they came out.
I respect Nissan for what they can do, and i respect Toyota for what they can do
well thank you for agreeing with me on the last part, however you must compare the gt-r to the sz, every magazine and best motoring dvd does, its not the same as comparing a japanese car to a domestic, rather its the same as comparing the mustang gt to a camaro z28, or a mustang cobra to an ss, in either case the camaro is totally outclassing the mustang, unless you use the 03' supercharged cobras, which despite their supercharger and having 60hp over the ss only runs a few tenths quicker 1/4 mile (13.4 to 13.7 i think.) as for those jzx-chassis cars, the gt-r weighs as much as, or more than all of them,weighing in at just under 3800lbs, far from being a sports car. and nissan's answer to the jzx90/100/110 chassis are the er32/33/34 4door, as well as the newer v35 skyline 4door. nissan just builds cars against their competition all under the skyline nameplate. if you dont compare gt-r's to sz's, gto's (3000gt), wrx sti's, rx-7's,and nsx's then what do you do? put them in a class of their own and make a martyr of them? its an age old comparison, every manufacturer takes its best and they all find out who built the best all around car. a gt-r outclasses a sz in just about every category, however a nsx type s zero will walk a gt-r v-spec on any road course, and edge it out in the 1/4th mile, but a gt-r n1 is a different story. of course all these cars are completely different, thats what makes them all so competitive with eachother, the bottom line is toyota fans are toyota fans and nissan fans are nissan fans, same as chevy and ford, i for one may sound like a nissan fan, and i am, but i am also a toyota fan, as i stated above ill take a 99' soarer 2.5gt-t 5-speed over a gt-r any day, however i think credit should be given where its due, and nissan's skyline gt-r is a superior car to the supra sz.

Last edited by FortuneLS; 04-14-05 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-14-05, 10:12 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

all i have to say is (had to delete my long *** arguement )

there's a reason the GTR was kicked out of it's racing class for beating EVERYCAR on the course and put in a class of it's own.

question is...have you driven one? have you been around GTR enthusists? obviously you haven't and many of you are making a lot of these assumptions from what you've read/heard.

so an na-t can make 500hp like the gtr...who's going to take who on the course or the highway?
500hp vs. 500hp
gtr will win because of its use of power (powercurve), traction, and gearing. so overrated? there's a reason for it.

as everyone bagging on this person for putting a rb26 who are you to say what and what he can't put in his car or that he had a stupid idea.

i'm sure he had a reason for it. to bad he isn't a member to this forums...because i bet if he were all of you guys wouldn't be saying some of the stuff you guys are and would all be asking for a ride. i know i would.
Old 04-14-05, 10:16 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

reamemiya i hope your anger isnt directed at me, lol
but am i right or am i right?
Old 04-14-05, 02:43 PM
bean_8044
Rookie

Now that you bring it up, yes:
I do live in Japan
I have driven them
I do know GTR enthusiasts
I have seen pretty much every single model they make from the R34 to DR30 including the Ken and Mary's and some other old school models, and engines from the RB26DETT to the RB20E. Ive been to the garages that they go to, seen them in the DIY garages working on their cars, seen them street racing, drag racing, trying to drift, and losing at gymkhana to EVOs and Miatas. The R32-R34 GT-R is not gods gift to the automotive industry. Its a great car, but thats it.
I give all praise to the shop that did that swap of the RB26 into the Soarer cause they did a great job. Do i care why he did it? No. Look at the results of what they created and who cares where it all came from
Old 04-14-05, 03:07 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
reamemiya i hope your anger isnt directed at me, lol
but am i right or am i right?
hahaha no i'm not angry at you...sadly...i didn't even read your last couple of posts.

not really even angry...just like to cause conflict and get people to look at things in different ways and not just conform to everythign...o that's a toyota why the hell is a nissan motor in it.

and yeah good to see another japanese enthusiest. then if you're actually been in a decent skyline you know how amazing thing the car is. i've been in many highly modded supras and none of them compare even a bpu+++ skyline (which is going to be apu soon with 700hp street car).

yeah maybe a miata would beat a skyline if it were somehting like auto x (also you have to add in quality of driver, track as i'm not familiar with that track, and others), but gt or anything else...seriously...there is a reason it's been kicked out of the class of supra and put into a class of it's own with 100,000+$ cars...

anyways got class

Last edited by reamemiya; 04-14-05 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-14-05, 10:26 PM
bean_8044
Rookie

I really hope the the "$100,000+ class of cars" that youre refering to is not the JGTC. As far as the ideal that the JGTC was designed for the Skyline, thats total bull****. There is a little known series that went on for 10yrs before the JGTC started called the Japan Sport Prototype Championship. Japan already had a racing championship, but noone could relate to it since it was all Nissan R88C,Nissan R90CP,Toyota 90C-V,Porsche 962C GTi,Mazda 757/757B/767B. The series lost interest and died out. On the other hand, it gave birth to the JGTC instead. 1993 was a very strange year in that the GT-R along with Mustangs and Cutlass' were racing along side the JSPC cars. Honestly, does anyone here expect a RWD V8 car to hold up against a AWD TT car? Heres the standings from the inception till the GT-R deletion. I wont mention that the JGTC GT-R went through alot of changes from what you see on the street. For example: 2.7L engine, RWD only, etc.. I wont mention that the Supra used the 3sgte and 3uzfe for most of the JGTC either.

1993 Drivers
GT-R
Silvia
GT-R

1994 Drivers
GT-R
GT-R
GT-R
GT-R
F40/Porsche 962C

1995 Drivers
GT-R
GT-R
GT-R
911 GT2
Supra

1996 Drivers
1-4 McLaren F1 Tied 1st and 3rd
5 Supra
6-10 GT-R

1997 Drivers
Supra Tied 1st, won 3rd , tied 4th

1998 Drivers
GT-R tied 1st
NSX tied 3rd
GT-R tied 5th

1999 Drivers
GT-R
Supra tied 2nd
GT-R
NSX tied 5th

2000 Drivers
NSX
GT-R tied 2nd and 4th

2001Drivers
38 Supra tied 1st
8 NSX tied 3rd
1 NSX tied 5th

2002 Drivers
6 Supra Tied 1st
64 NSX Tied 3rd
1 Supra Tied 5th

The GT-R is an awesome car, but so is a 250ps AE86(which can beat an R34 on a road track). The Diablo is an awesome car that the GT-R could probably beat, but so can a Lancer EVO.

For God's sake people, the GT-R is just a car.

Quick Reply: Soarer with RB26!!