Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-04, 11:34 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...

Hey guys, as some of you may know, I have been doing my clutch this week and I finished it up today. The results are awesome and Im very happy that I was able to do it. The Exedy OEM-style clutch has a great feel, and the clutch isnt nearly as hard as it used to be. Now onto the good news for everyone, while I was doing my clutch, I figured it would be a damn good time to fix my notchy notchy tranny. At first I figured that the tranny would have to be rebuilt, but after some advice from here and supraforums I decided to try somethin else. So I bought these two parts:

Green shifter seat - 33505-35020
White shifter bushing - 33548-31010

When I took out my shifter I was AMAZED by what I saw, the old green shifter bushing (rubber) had decintigrated into a thousand tiny chunks. So I carefully cleaned up all the green specks/mush and was careful to clean out any that may have fell into the tranny. The shifter bushing wasnt THAT bad, just very yellow, and kinda hard and difficult to turn, but I of course replcaed that too.

The results of these two simple parts, which cost no more than $20 at your local Toyota dealership, is outstanding. The gearbox feels like new, and is no longer loose/notchy. I can not get over it. I WISH I had taken pics of the carnage of the old seat
Old 01-01-05, 03:57 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this on a W58 or R154??
Old 01-01-05, 08:09 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

W58
Old 01-01-05, 01:38 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tip.

Sent you a PM.
Old 01-01-05, 10:50 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

AWESOME! Thats what I have a problem with in mine. Notchy shifting. I need a new clutch I think too, not really slipping all that much, but it could definately be better. Were these parts inside the transmission that you can only replace when you drop it out, or can I replace them another way.

Also, I have a stock 92 SC3 5spd, is that the W58 trans?
Old 01-02-05, 10:50 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
AWESOME! Thats what I have a problem with in mine. Notchy shifting. I need a new clutch I think too, not really slipping all that much, but it could definately be better. Were these parts inside the transmission that you can only replace when you drop it out, or can I replace them another way.

Also, I have a stock 92 SC3 5spd, is that the W58 trans?
Haha you're in luck man, all you have to do is take out the shifter (a good solid 5-10 minutes of work), then the bushing will be attached to the end of the shifter, and the seat will be on the inner lip of the "shifter hole". And yes, yours is the W58 tranny too. All 5-speed SC300's are W58s. When you do this (I hope you do), please let me know how it turns out and betetr yet take pics.

Heres a quick write-up of how to access the seat/bushing:

1.) Remove shift ****
2.) Remove the black plastic trim in which the leather shift boot is held on by (2 clips)
3.) Remove cupholder
4.) You should see 6 screws holding the tan center console trim in (the big piece that goes around the vol/temp ***** and all the way around to the top). Remove these
5.) Pop this trim in, its held in by 5 slips near the top
6.) Remove the four 10mm bolts holding the rubber shift boot in place
7.) Now there will be a SECOND rubber shift boot which is almost "skin tight" around the base of the shifter. You will have to get something under the lip of it and get a corner off, then carefully pry the rest of it off. If you absolutely have to, then you may have to poke a hole in it to get it off (I dont really think its THAT important anyhoo)
8.) Now there will four more 10mm bolts, remove these, and dont mix these up with the other four bolts.
9.) Now just pull your shifter straight up out of the tranny (better to have it neutral for this) and ther you go

You should see the seat (the part that disintegrates) right in the hole where you pulled the shifter out of.

There you go man, good luck, and keep us updated!

PS. That is from memory, so there may be an error or two. Also there will be 2 or 3 electrical connections along the way, carefully disconnect these
Old 01-02-05, 03:01 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info. thanks, im going to do that.
Old 01-02-05, 03:13 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

No prob man, needs any more info/help, feel free to ask. And also try to take pics of the old parts if you could
Old 01-02-05, 04:25 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Waht year is your SC? It sounds like a pre '96. The shift linkage on the later models is different and the part numbers you quoted may not be tha same...
Old 01-02-05, 04:36 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

That is a good point, mines a 92. Im 100% positive this will work on 92-94, and it could very well work on the later years, but Im not positive
Old 01-03-05, 10:26 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Alright! I'm going to the toyota dealership today to pick these up. HE said about $10 for the green shifter seat and $5 for the white shifter bushing. I'll take some pictures along the way and then let you guys know how I came out in the end.
Old 01-03-05, 01:28 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Well I did it. It was VERY messy with lots of black greasy gunk down and int here so I cleaned it all out and replaced both parts and it truly does feel like a new transmission. I forgot to take pictures, but it was so cramped in there I don't think I could have anyways and gotten them to turn out. Its a fairly simple procedure and the steps listed above worked just fine. The stick is much much tighter now and it doesn't rock back and forth anywhere like what it used to, even if I try to move it myself in gear it doesn't move all around like before. Thanks for the great write-up!
Old 01-03-05, 02:26 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Well I did it. It was VERY messy with lots of black greasy gunk down and int here so I cleaned it all out and replaced both parts and it truly does feel like a new transmission. I forgot to take pictures, but it was so cramped in there I don't think I could have anyways and gotten them to turn out. Its a fairly simple procedure and the steps listed above worked just fine. The stick is much much tighter now and it doesn't rock back and forth anywhere like what it used to, even if I try to move it myself in gear it doesn't move all around like before. Thanks for the great write-up!
Awesome!!! thats great to hear man. Im glad I could help, now lets see if anyone else is gonna follow
Old 01-03-05, 03:46 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wmulli
Waht year is your SC? It sounds like a pre '96. The shift linkage on the later models is different and the part numbers you quoted may not be tha same...
Did they change in 96? Do I need different part numbers for my '95?
Old 01-03-05, 04:31 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

I'm not 100% certain, but I think they changed in the middle of the 95 model run. The older style shifter has a ball at the bottom of the shift lever. The newer models have a hole in the bottom where it bolts up to the linkage. Whether that matters to the bushings mentioned

Quick Reply: ATTN: 5-speed guys with loose/notchy shifts...