Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT SC400 race results..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 08:20 AM
chrisman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi philly, the shift kit was only part of what i wanted to do to the trans.. a complete rebuild was what i was aiming for.. and while i was inside the trans, i wanted to make it shift better.. i dont know if youve had a trans rebuilt, but it can be expensive- so doing it myself for rdm was the easiest for him.. i replaced/upgraded alot of the replaceable parts in the trans..i was able to get heavy duty parts like the friction discs, and steels.. and from asking around, i also replaced 1 of the 3 sprags--its kinda like a one way bearing- because one is know to fail early..

i know alot of people are very satisfied with the MV shift kit/valve body-- and i am glad there out there helping lexus guys get a better shifting trans.. we need more companies who offer performance options for the LEXUS community..and as far as i know MV has done a great job and offered a great service..
its just that i will almost always try and do something myself.. the fun part of my work is figuring things out..--solving problems..thats just how i am.. and understanding this particular trans and how it works is just my next step in knowing these cars inside out..
when it comes to cars and motorcycles- ive probably tried it.. for example, i think one of the things im good at is paint and body work--believe it or not.. ive been custom painting cars and bikes for close to 20 years.. but anyway, its because i have my own shop, and work by myself that i am able to try anything--thats one of the reasons this particular sc400 was TT d to begin with..
i
Old 02-07-05, 04:07 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Chrisman and Bob,

Good job both of you guys. Finally solve my oil issue and the car is running now. When do u see boost and when do u get to 8 psi? As for me, the car still needs more tuning. Still running a little rich on those Rx-7 injectors. The turbine housing is from Precision Turbo .82 A/R with the stand bearing GT40. From Vacuum (-18 psi) to 0 psi is about 1,700 to 1,800 rpm and it reaches 9 psi at around 2,500-2,700 rpm. The boost comes on very fast. My car has been sitting for a while now and the battery is not fully charged and I am working on that. (Split Sec requires the engine to be off when loading programs. On and off engine is not good for my weak battery right now.)

I plan to run 15 psi and I would not be surprised to reach that in mid or late 3k range. It will be very interesting to find out the potential of this motor.
Old 02-07-05, 06:34 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi lex, in the end, what was the prob with the oil? sounds like the car is spooling quickly..i cant imagine what 15 psi in these cars feels like..il try and pay attention as to when bobs car starts spooling.. but, i dont know when il get a chance to get in it again.. maybe il get him to pay attention, but when your driving its a little difficult to look at the boost-tach-and the road..
Old 02-08-05, 08:17 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey Chris. I had a chance to get on it this morning on my way to work. the ground was pretty dry.
The trans is right on the verge of chirping the tires into third. I didn't get a chance to check 1st - 2nd. the car lunges forward instead of the girly shifting it was doing before. Thanks Again!!!

My car is building boost right around the same place you are lextreme.
1900-2000 is where it starts seeing boost, and I'm at 8 PSI by 28-2900. My Boost gauge is a temp gauge, and is set up for the passenger to read more then me. I'll try and have chris pay closer attention to it the next time we go for a ride. I'm guessing more by the seet of my pants then the gauge. Whats the latest with those pistons? Did you (We) decide on a compression ratio?
Old 02-08-05, 11:15 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Bob,

The unpaid members are talking and just talks. I think we will go as plan. 8.5:1 and .01" over bore. I will email everyone for the general consense before JBrady ordering. Nice work both of you guys...
Old 02-08-05, 05:53 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Thanks Dave. I thought it was .02 over. I don't really care though.
Old 03-14-05, 10:35 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey man are we ever gonna see some mid 12 sec 1/4 mile times and low 4 sec 0-60's....whats the status...Its been fairly dry over the last month.....no updates?

CEO
Old 03-14-05, 09:39 PM
chrisman
Driver

no real news, the track is open in 1 month.. i am pretty sure the car will do well--unless we blow it up in the meentime.. i am in the middle of adding 8 extra injectors.. i am fitting them to the upper intake manifold.. they come on during boost, and are controlled by a programable controller.. we will be running about 12 psi, so it should do well.. il attach a pic..
Attached Thumbnails TT SC400 race results..-dscf0620.jpg  
Old 03-14-05, 09:43 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Come on Chris,

Run higher boost.... U know i am up to early 20s now....
Old 03-14-05, 09:47 PM
chrisman
Driver

you can kinda see the new fuel rail in the pic also.. i should be finishing it up soon..
lastly, i dont know if i mentioned it on this forum, i have been so impressed with the potential of the lexus/toyota v8, that i am fitting one into a 1987 corolla.. it fits, if anybody is wondering.. this car will also get twin turbos, and being about 1500 lbs llighter--should boogie.. the car that the motor in the pic above is in, is the corolla..
Old 03-14-05, 09:50 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi david, i know your running 20+, , but that scares me.. im gonna wait and see what happens, then well start cranking it up.. but i need to make sure i have a spare motor sitting around..rdm uses the car daily..
Old 03-30-05, 02:24 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Sooooooo....what the latest? and is the tranny still holding up?

CEO
Old 03-30-05, 09:53 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi the trans was fine, but rdm did break an open differential.. im waiting on some parts, but know i have a chance to install the 8 inj setup.. im getting the car ready for the track--opening soon..
Old 04-26-05, 12:25 AM
leostunts
Driver School Candidate

Chrisman - Please video some of your runs!

I'll end up going your same route or maybe single turbo to save on cost.
I would be happy with high 12's , that's what you would've run with a decent stall on dr's

Are you manually shifting or auto pilot?
Old 04-26-05, 01:00 AM
chrisman
Driver

hi leo, nice to see you found the forum.. the TTsc400 is a friends car--RDM.--that i TT"d for him. we have not been able to get to the track again since rdm had broken the rear diff.. but i have replaced it with a supra lsd, and i have gotten the 8 extra injector setup on and working--still in rough tune.. rdm also twisted/sheared the end of the input shaft in the trans off i also replaced that, but i have not gotten into the trans to look around.. it takes ALOT of force to twist the end of the input shaft off,but when the diff broke, it locked the driveshaft instantly and i think i hear a noise i dont like coming from the trans..sounds like it may have damage to a planetary gear set from the instant shock..
. it drives fine, but i dont want to chance him really breaking the trans.. anyway, i asked him not to drive/race it untill i go thru the trans.. i should be able to do that by the end of this week.. i am very busy at my shop..
you asked about drag radials, and a stall speed, and how the car should have run.. well, if you look at the mph, 109, you can see that the car did move a long at a good pace.. but rdm wasnt trying to leave very hard.. it still had the orig 160,000 mile trans in it,, and i wanted to make sure we drove home.. but all that will change next time we get it to the track..i dont think it needs drag radials, but it did need to have the transbuilt to withstand the HP and shift quicker.. the car was left in drive the whole time with the OD off and the TRAC off..--auto pilot--
high 12s is a reasonable expectation if you turbo your sc400, and the car including the trans should hold up well..you will be able to get to about 350 hp without doing any fuel upgrades.. but after that, you will need to get more fuel to the engine someway--in my opinion..
anyway, high 12s is realistic, and id go for it..we need more guys who go turbo on the 1uz..

Quick Reply: TT SC400 race results..