Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 11:59 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys I have a quick question, If someone were to install a 2800 stall TC, and have the car tested afterwards and the car only revs up to 1800-1900ish. Wouldn’t that mean that the TC is at fault or can the actual car be the one to blame. Keep in mind that this is a 2800 stall TC, and that this was the 2nd TC sent out by this company and that same results were shown. IF this were the cars problem what could be wrong with the car.
Keep in mind that the car is in pretty good condition, having under gone all tune-up procedures and has around 100 on the clock.
Let me know what you guys think, any input from you vets out there would be greatly appreciated also

Tommy
Old 01-11-05, 12:48 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no offense but that companies webpage sounds like a lot of b/s...

those bold reasons are purely crappy marketing..
Old 01-11-05, 05:48 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sourcemine
no offense but that companies webpage sounds like a lot of b/s...

those bold reasons are purely crappy marketing..
Not exactly.

The PI TC
1) uses a stronger material.
2) is a specifically designed product.
3) includes a 2 year warranty.

A rebuilt torque converter is a cheaper alternative but it is not a better product. Like I said, a stock torque converter was never designed for a higher stall. It will fail sooner than a PI TC.
Old 01-11-05, 09:41 AM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by verylost
Not exactly.

The PI TC
1) uses a stronger material.
2) is a specifically designed product.
3) includes a 2 year warranty.

A rebuilt torque converter is a cheaper alternative but it is not a better product. Like I said, a stock torque converter was never designed for a higher stall. It will fail sooner than a PI TC.
My OEM one lasted 145k /12years and is still fine, I'm replacing it for perf. gains, it's still fine, and I'm not racing or dragging my car, so like I said for my personal use, that isnt a factor for me.. it might be a nice perk to have a custom one, but there is nothing wrong with the oem one...
Old 01-11-05, 03:44 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

well i do happen to drag race my car a decent amount and i asked lextreme how much the tc could take he said alot but if it ever breaks he told me to send it back and he will solve the problem david is a great guy and really backs his work and his customers

so far i have been putting a decent amount over 300 hp to this tc and it is just beautiful im very satisfied
Old 01-12-05, 12:57 PM
RX944
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering if applying the brake to 2800 rpms would get you the same result during a launch as having the stall speed set there. Im assuming there is some kind of difference since people buy them.Thanks
Old 01-12-05, 01:59 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX944
I was wondering if applying the brake to 2800 rpms would get you the same result during a launch as having the stall speed set there. Im assuming there is some kind of difference since people buy them.Thanks
Try as hard as you want, but you will never be able to brake torque to 2800 rpm on a stock TC.
Old 01-12-05, 06:30 PM
RX944
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by verylost
Try as hard as you want, but you will never be able to brake torque to 2800 rpm on a stock TC.

Didnt know that.I guess that justifies laying some money down for the TC.
Old 01-12-05, 06:38 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Hey soarer 479, did you ever get a chance to time your 0-60??
Old 01-13-05, 03:15 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

no not yet its been wet here the past few days but i should be able to tomorow looks like it should be dry
Old 01-13-05, 03:21 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a brand new PI torque converter physically in my hands while I had my transmission replaced but had decided to go with an OEM unit in the end.

As much as the extra appeal of having an aftermarket TC seemed very cool, I didn't want to risk damaging other components in my 10 year old Lexus.

With an aftermarket TC installed, you should also upgrade to an aftermarket TC cooler?, or whatever that's called and watch out for the added stress to the other mechanical parts.

I'd be more than happy to try an aftermarket TC on a 2-3 year old car with less than 40k miles. But definitely not on my car.

Jon
Old 01-14-05, 02:38 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

depends where in florida are you?? theres a 1/4 mile in orlando theres an 1/8 mile here in jax and theres a 1/4 mile in gainsville
Old 01-15-05, 09:31 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

not that i know of but i dont really know much about daytona ... i just go there for spring break haha but im sure there has to be something there or close to you i would just ask around and find out sorry i cant be of more help but ill ask a couple of my friends and see if i cant find out 4 yah
Old 02-07-05, 12:18 PM
Eric-RPS13-
Lead Lap

lextreme makes good stuff
and is a cheaper alternitive to the PI
I have full confidence in David's products , and his TC has a one year warrenty,, so it's not without support.
it's a rebuilt stock one, and is rebuilt in a sound manner http://www.lextreme.com/tc.htm
here are details on it.
Lextreme has been doing some serious jumps in lexus v8 performance, his turbo LS is amazing.

http://lextreme.com/forums/
he also has a 2JZ forum that is great
look into what lextreme does and see for yourself
Old 02-07-05, 12:31 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default wtf, mate?

SO can I get a general concenses on the Reman'd Letreme unit? I'm considering one, too, but I don't see why a reman'd OEM unit would be weaker than a new Dragon TC when it is properly rebuilt... or am I just off-base?

Quick Reply: Torque converter