Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ swap (general questions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 09:44 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurusc
There are some guys here with high flowed steel wheel 1JZ turbos putting out 300rwkw (with 2JZ injectors and fuel pump) which shows you the limitation is really the ceramic turbos, not the engine.
Yea, I dyno'd my car 2 days ago and made 312hp and 301tq. Stock ceramic turbos.
Old 01-12-05, 06:16 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustinDD91
what clutch set up do use for the 1jz paired with a w58 trans
well most 1JZ engines are fitted with a R154 transmission. If you have the R154 tranny, then you must use the MKIII supra clutch and flywheel to fit it. If you are going to use the W58, which I do NOT recommend, then you stick with the SC300 set up.
Old 01-12-05, 06:31 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kaotiq
well most 1JZ engines are fitted with a R154 transmission. If you have the R154 tranny, then you must use the MKIII supra clutch and flywheel to fit it. If you are going to use the W58, which I do NOT recommend, then you stick with the SC300 set up.
I know the R154 is heavy duty trans.

Why wouldn't your recommend using the w58? Gear ratios?
Old 01-12-05, 07:11 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

You have to look at the cost of both routes.
* cost of the swap
* cost of NA-T
* Time down
* Accessories function (AC and other things)
* HP grain with both
* Long Term maintance
* Other factors.

Lets address the swap cost first. 1J engines are a lot cheaper then 2JZ. However not many shop can do it and if the shop can do it, the cost is about $8,000. www.sparkracing.com The cost of a NA turbo kit is about 5000 plus 1000 labor. The difference is about $2,000. However, the 1jz swap is only get you stock hp production. Upgrading to high boost level will cost more money. You can spend the balance on forged pistons and some head work or add little to get stronger rods.

Time down is obvious. Swap will take anywhere from 2 months to 4 months. I have personally witness two swaps and they were down for a long time. Total down is about 8 months. NA-T is with out upgrade is about one day of work. With upgrade is about 1 month max.

One of the biggest problem with swap is not the engine. Its the electrical and accessories function. Since u will have different harness and ecu, wires will be different. Phil have done a great job on the book and he shows details on wiring. I have seen few swaps without AC control, with out instructment reading and other misc things that are associated with the stock ecu.

HP gain is obvious. Dollar per dollar the Na-T get upgraded internal and a brand new turbo system. The 1jz is supposely low mileage, but how do we know and how long woudl it last? Some have good experience with it and other will be playing a blind game. Me personally would like to see NA-T with forged rods, forged pistons and some head work vs. 1jz swap.

you gotta compare an apple vs apple. Just like you have to consider all the facts before jumping in.
Old 01-12-05, 08:42 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Technics
I know the R154 is heavy duty trans.

Why wouldn't your recommend using the w58? Gear ratios?
gear ratios are the last of my worries for that. If you really think about it, while driving, you will not feel the difference with the gear ratios unless you are JGTC racing all the time. I would be more concerned about the transmission failing because it was not made to take boost. On the other hand, you have the R154 which was mated specifically for the 1JZ and made to take power. Maybe not as well as the getrag V160, but still decent with power abuse.
Old 01-12-05, 08:56 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

gear ratios are the last of my worries for that. If you really think about it, while driving, you will not feel the difference with the gear ratios unless you are JGTC racing all the time. I would be more concerned about the transmission failing because it was not made to take boost. On the other hand, you have the R154 which was mated specifically for the 1JZ and made to take power. Maybe not as well as the getrag V160, but still decent with power abuse.
True the R154 will hold much more WHP than the W58 but for my modest HP goals (300-350RWHP) the W58 should suffice. I know there are some members boosting in that range.

Last edited by Technics; 01-12-05 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-12-05, 03:17 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The R154 from a Soarer is very hard to locate, so good luck finding one.

Also, having the swap done by a shop will NOT cost you $8,000. There is a reputable shop an hour away from me that will do the swap for $5,000.
Old 01-12-05, 03:23 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mteele
The R154 from a Soarer is very hard to locate, so good luck finding one.
Yea no crap, I've been looking for one for quite sometime.
Old 01-12-05, 03:37 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily I found one
Old 01-12-05, 03:44 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mteele
Luckily I found one
Bastard Got anymore
Old 01-13-05, 01:14 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
You have to look at the cost of both routes.
* cost of the swap
* cost of NA-T
* Time down
* Accessories function (AC and other things)
* HP grain with both
* Long Term maintance
* Other factors.

Lets address the swap cost first. 1J engines are a lot cheaper then 2JZ. However not many shop can do it and if the shop can do it, the cost is about $8,000. www.sparkracing.com The cost of a NA turbo kit is about 5000 plus 1000 labor. The difference is about $2,000. However, the 1jz swap is only get you stock hp production. Upgrading to high boost level will cost more money. You can spend the balance on forged pistons and some head work or add little to get stronger rods.

Time down is obvious. Swap will take anywhere from 2 months to 4 months. I have personally witness two swaps and they were down for a long time. Total down is about 8 months. NA-T is with out upgrade is about one day of work. With upgrade is about 1 month max.

One of the biggest problem with swap is not the engine. Its the electrical and accessories function. Since u will have different harness and ecu, wires will be different. Phil have done a great job on the book and he shows details on wiring. I have seen few swaps without AC control, with out instructment reading and other misc things that are associated with the stock ecu.

HP gain is obvious. Dollar per dollar the Na-T get upgraded internal and a brand new turbo system. The 1jz is supposely low mileage, but how do we know and how long woudl it last? Some have good experience with it and other will be playing a blind game. Me personally would like to see NA-T with forged rods, forged pistons and some head work vs. 1jz swap.

you gotta compare an apple vs apple. Just like you have to consider all the facts before jumping in.

I totally disagree... First of all, the person I bought my car from did the swap himself, and has since done another one on his new sc300.. He says that it doesnt take 2-4 months, but maybe 2-4 days with all the parts in hand. It doesnt cost 8k to get the swap done either. Atleast not in Florida.

secondly, all of my accessories work.. a/c, instrument cluster, radio, cruise control, window, tilt, sunroof, everything....

lastly, im my own opinion, most of you turbo people know that changing spark plugs happens more regularly, and with a na-t kit the throttle body sits right over cyl 3 and 4 meaning you have to take off that whole assembly just to change plugs..

Thats my apple vs. apple comparison
Old 02-09-05, 10:31 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i agree with you trd, i was quoted at around $2000 for a 1jz swap by signal auto, and that was if i had a complete front clip, which you can find for around $2000 also and they said it would take about a week and a half to complete it, plus upping the boost on an already turbocharged engine is cheaper than on an na-t engine. also in my drift tengoku magazines there is a company that sells automatic into 5-speed conversions, but they are a little pricey, about $3000 when converted from yen to usd, but its all new parts, and i dont know about the availability to us here in the good ole u.s. of a., so if anyone wants to research that further the company is called car make rasty. parts for the 1jz arent hard to find, its waiting for them to be shipped here thats a pain in the a$$
Old 02-14-05, 02:49 PM
ajs14
Driver

I plan to use my w58 5spd with the 1j swap and am wondering how strong it is. I am a pretty conservative driver and plan to stick with the stock turbos for a while. Are there any na-t guys with the w58? Do you think I'll be fine? I'm sure the turbos would take a dump faster than the tranny.
Old 02-15-05, 09:57 AM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

What if you buy a motor from a jdm 1JZ supra.. I know its the same engine, but will it fit?? Engine mounts? oil pan?? stuff like that I'm trying to find as much stuff as I can that I'm gonna need to change to fit a 1JZ in my sc300. I dont wanna drop it off at my local shop to have them keep calling me saying I need this and I need that..

~Matt
Old 02-15-05, 11:00 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you use stock auto tranny from sc300 with the 1jzgte?

Quick Reply: 1JZ swap (general questions)