Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ swap (general questions)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 11:07 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextreme
You have to look at the cost of both routes.
* cost of the swap
* cost of NA-T
* Time down
* Accessories function (AC and other things)
* HP grain with both
* Long Term maintance
* Other factors.

Lets address the swap cost first. 1J engines are a lot cheaper then 2JZ. However not many shop can do it and if the shop can do it, the cost is about $8,000. www.sparkracing.com The cost of a NA turbo kit is about 5000 plus 1000 labor. The difference is about $2,000. However, the 1jz swap is only get you stock hp production. Upgrading to high boost level will cost more money. You can spend the balance on forged pistons and some head work or add little to get stronger rods.

Time down is obvious. Swap will take anywhere from 2 months to 4 months. I have personally witness two swaps and they were down for a long time. Total down is about 8 months. NA-T is with out upgrade is about one day of work. With upgrade is about 1 month max.

One of the biggest problem with swap is not the engine. Its the electrical and accessories function. Since u will have different harness and ecu, wires will be different. Phil have done a great job on the book and he shows details on wiring. I have seen few swaps without AC control, with out instructment reading and other misc things that are associated with the stock ecu.

HP gain is obvious. Dollar per dollar the Na-T get upgraded internal and a brand new turbo system. The 1jz is supposely low mileage, but how do we know and how long woudl it last? Some have good experience with it and other will be playing a blind game. Me personally would like to see NA-T with forged rods, forged pistons and some head work vs. 1jz swap.

you gotta compare an apple vs apple. Just like you have to consider all the facts before jumping in.
NEVER PUT ANY BETTER THAN THIS.........TOTALLY AGREE!!!!
Old 02-15-05, 11:24 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
i agree with you trd, i was quoted at around $2000 for a 1jz swap by signal auto, and that was if i had a complete front clip, which you can find for around $2000 also and they said it would take about a week and a half to complete it, plus upping the boost on an already turbocharged engine is cheaper than on an na-t engine. also in my drift tengoku magazines there is a company that sells automatic into 5-speed conversions, but they are a little pricey, about $3000 when converted from yen to usd, but its all new parts, and i dont know about the availability to us here in the good ole u.s. of a., so if anyone wants to research that further the company is called car make rasty. parts for the 1jz arent hard to find, its waiting for them to be shipped here thats a pain in the a$$
2000.00 for labor? i just called them up and thy're charging me 6500.00 just for basic drop in !!
and that is if i even provide the whole front clip.....
Old 02-15-05, 01:24 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

here is what rena from signal told me:

Hi Tyler,

The labor for your 1JZ swap would be at least $2000, with much of the price depending on the condition of the front clip you have. Some things that need to be addressed include the wiring harness, ECU, etc to even simpler things such as Power Steering, A/C, etc. Since your SC is a 97 Automatic, what trans. does your clip come with? If you have further questions, I'd be glad to help you out as much as I can. Time-wise for the labor would NORMALLY be 10 working days, but that is if ALL of the parts are already provided.

Thanks for the inquiry!
Rena
Signal Auto USA
310-787-0505
----- Original Message -----
To: signalauto@earthlink.net
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 7:01 PM
Subject: 1jz swap to jzz30

How much would a 1jz-gte swap into a 1997 jzz30 sc300 cost if i have a front clip already?
Also, approximately how long would it take? Any info would be helpful!

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 02-16-05, 11:36 AM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got trd where in FL did u get the swap done cause my boy is pretty much the man when it comes to 1jz swaps in supras and Sc 3 and 400's. He has done it so many times now he just did one this past sunday the engine was in and it was up and running in one day but that is all determined if all the parts are there. He couldn't belive that he got it done so fast but he has been doing it for so many years and for so many people that its nothin for him
Old 02-16-05, 11:51 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kstyle55
got trd where in FL did u get the swap done cause my boy is pretty much the man when it comes to 1jz swaps in supras and Sc 3 and 400's. He has done it so many times now he just did one this past sunday the engine was in and it was up and running in one day but that is all determined if all the parts are there. He couldn't belive that he got it done so fast but he has been doing it for so many years and for so many people that its nothin for him

Where do you and your friend live in Florida? I am in Gainesville.

You guys comming to Old Town this weekend?
Old 02-16-05, 11:55 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

If your friends name is Kevin then thats who I got the car from
Old 02-16-05, 12:43 PM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

oh so your the one who baught the maroon one I thought u were in texas?
Old 02-16-05, 02:02 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

I already graduated.. now im up in PA for mb elite training
Old 02-16-05, 02:24 PM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

true we will be at the supra meet in melborne this weekend with alot of cars from the shop supras and Sc300 with either 1jz or 2jz swaps and we are located in the Ft Lauderdale area
Old 02-16-05, 02:28 PM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

Got trd have u seen kevins new Sc? its a 400 and he droped in the 1jz with single turbo conversion t78 turbo and he converted it fron auto to stick the car is sweet evert time I c it, it makes me want to
Old 02-16-05, 02:51 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Got trd have u seen kevins new Sc? its a 400 and he droped in the 1jz with single turbo conversion t78 turbo and he converted it fron auto to stick the car is sweet evert time I c it, it makes me want to
I should talk to that guy, we have the same setup. I could use some pointers from him
Old 02-16-05, 02:57 PM
Kstyle55
Pole Position

if your ever in the FL area he will be more then happy to help he is the 1j 2j guy around here
Old 02-17-05, 05:35 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are any of you guys running the R154? Is it from the Soarer or Jza70 Supra?
Old 02-17-05, 06:25 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoarerJzz3
Are any of you guys running the R154? Is it from the Soarer or Jza70 Supra?
from 1995 soarer.
Old 02-17-05, 06:37 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering if anyone was using the jza70 r154? I'm about to buy a soarer auto clip and the place i'm getting it from also has a jza70 r154 which I thought about buying as well. I did a little research and found that there are some differences between the Soarer and Supra r154's. And I know that finding a R154 from a Soarer is nearly impossible. I wanted to know if anyone here was able to get the jza70 R154 to work on there sc.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1JZ swap (general questions)