Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Toyomoto Turbo Kit VS Turbonetics kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 04:23 PM
95SC30095
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyomoto Turbo Kit VS Turbonetics kit

Which of these two is the better turbo kit. The turbonetics is made for the Supra but can be installed on the SC300 here's the link for the kit. http://www.suprastore.com/sinturconkit.html How much is the Toyomoto kit and does anyone have any of these turbo kits?
Old 01-11-05, 04:30 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95SC30095
Which of these two is the better turbo kit. The turbonetics is made for the Supra but can be installed on the SC300 here's the link for the kit. http://www.suprastore.com/sinturconkit.html How much is the Toyomoto kit and does anyone have any of these turbo kits?
Well the toyomoto kit is way overpriced. The turbonetics kit is ok, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative check out http://www.streetdynamics.com/b/frprod.htm (under turbo kits) I know they also offer a complete kit w/ intercooler but I guess it's not listed. Anyway I've seen a car with that kit installed on it and it was nice. Very cost effective too.
Old 01-12-05, 07:27 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Those are great prices... very affortable.....
Old 01-12-05, 07:31 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Those are great prices... very affortable.....
Good guys too. I've met the owner before and he is very knowledgable. He personally drives a sc300 with his turbo kit on it. Pulls on my 1j
Old 01-12-05, 09:26 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Cool. Always good to see new places making manifolds for our cars.
This picture is very encouraging:

If you don't see anything special in the pic, I'll let you know what it is once I do mine.

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 01-12-05, 01:41 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
Cool. Always good to see new places making manifolds for our cars.
This picture is very encouraging:

If you don't see anything special in the pic, I'll let you know what it is once I do mine.

Cheers,
~Alan
Electric fans? Post-intercooler MAF? IC pipe not coming from fender?

Tell us!
Old 01-12-05, 03:21 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

i would say go with the turbonetics kit i just got mine on a few weeks ago and its great
the car pulls very hard and absolutly everything is included and for the price its well worth it and if your serious about buying one let me know your probably finding the kit for around 4500 plus shipping correct? and its on back order.. i can get you a better deal just let me know and have it sent out the day you order it. also if you have any other ?s about the kit just ask ive been through it all
Old 01-13-05, 06:02 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

What about the horror stories on long-term quality?

You running yours with the additional injectors? I never liked those things.

Please share any info you have for the archives because I've read it ALL lol. Any updates would be refreshing. To me it still seems BoostLogic has the best deal on a complete setup that's functional and show-worthy.

Thoughts?

As for price feel free to PM me with what you got. I'm in the market.
Old 01-13-05, 06:35 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

boostlogic gets my vote!!!
Old 01-13-05, 11:08 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CleanSC
IC pipe not coming from fender?
Never really understood why people insisted on running piping through the fender area. It's alot shorter if you use a neat hole saw and run it like in the pic above. Plus it allows you to run larger piping.
Old 01-13-05, 11:41 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
Never really understood why people insisted on running piping through the fender area. It's alot shorter if you use a neat hole saw and run it like in the pic above. Plus it allows you to run larger piping.
Agreed.

I'm guessing the prepackaged kits do it to not scare off customers with a line in the instructions that says "drill hole in car".

Of course if you have a side mount you use that hole naturally. Maybe that routing is a left-over feature from upgraded side mounts.
Old 01-13-05, 11:48 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
I guess it's because some people don't like to hack up their Lexis.
I think it's pretty neat that we have such a hole. (In the fender that is)
My future plans are to paint everything flat black, cover up as much of the turbo as possible, replace a piece of the IC piping with a piece of pipe from an AEM cold air intake.(the part with the C.A.R.B. sticker)
My goal is to make it look like I have nothing more than a cold-air intake.

~Alan
Old 01-13-05, 11:52 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Post-intercooler MAF?
Tell us!
You got it!
Old 01-13-05, 12:04 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
You got it!
w00t!

So uh... What's so yummy about this? Do I want one?

If so explain in 50 words or less. You're being timed.
Old 01-13-05, 02:04 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I feel like I'm on Jeopardy.

What's so yummy about this?
From factory, the MAF came mounted relatively close to the throttle body(TB). It meters air on it's way into the intake manifold, and therfore into the cyliners.
By putting it on the intake of the turbo, I've placed a turbo, an intercooler, a BOV(I'll come back to this), and about 6 feet of piping in between the MAF and the TB.
So now the air read by the MAF will not reach the cylinders for a little while, or in the case of a BOV venting to atmosphere, it might not get there at all.
The ECU is not aware of any of this; it is still delivering fuel as if my MAF is still right next to the TB.

My main reason for doing this is to cure the problems associated with a BOV venting to atmosphere.
What problems you ask?
Really rich condition right after BOV releases pressure causes the car to stall out.
Even if I shift quickly and prevent a stallout, this really rich condition is a big hinderance on performance.

Do I want one?
That would mainly depend on whether you have a turbo or not.

The APEXi SAFC-II has a feature called Deceleration Air to compensate for this happening, and although it does prevent stallouts, it causes a horrible cold-start (Missfiring).

I have pondered this idea for a while now and came to my own conclusion that nobody talks about it because it doesn't work, but alas, a couple of weeks ago I met a guy who's been running this setup for a while with no problems.
Afterwards I've seen a picture of this setup on Lex Luthor's car, and now on this one.

I got the necessary hardware in the mail last night and will be moving it this weekend.
Wish me luck!

~Alan

EDIT: 322 words. I was close!

Quick Reply: Toyomoto Turbo Kit VS Turbonetics kit