Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is My SC400 Dead (engine Blown??)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 05:53 PM
Dee_seal
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My SC400 Dead (engine Blown??)

Hey Guys check this out

My girlfriend was driving my 95 SC400 180K and she heard a GRRR... she said it was kinda like it was struggling then it cut out then the engine died on the highway rush hour.

She tried turning the keys and nothing the dash lights came up but that was it the engine would not turn. Finally got it towed to the house.

Regularly the Engine temp would go up past the half then go down, This morning it was doing this normal oscillation as well, she is not sure if it was shooting up when the car failed. In any event no Buzzers came on. After the car died she cannot recall what the temp was reading, we were trying to get her of the highway.

Anyway, this evening I checked the oil it was low but between the two lines on the oilstick , less than 1/4 way, I put some oil in about 1/2 a quart. Anyway when I turned the key the engine turned and it started up, it iddled seemed kinda normal not too sure a bit above 1000 rpm, I quickly turned it off and that is where I stand, any ideas?

Thanks

DN
Old 01-11-05, 07:34 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

A bit hard to diagnose... you didn't see what the temperature was? Checked your other fluid levels (coolant etc.)? Maybe blown head gasket? Lost compression in a/some cylinders?
Old 01-11-05, 07:37 PM
Senator
Lexus Champion

Does it sound any louder or different at all? Have you driven it at all since? any noticeable power difference? fill us in.

Josh
Old 01-11-05, 08:32 PM
Dee_seal
Rookie

I checked the coolant, and it is very low so I think it might have overheated and no one noticed.

Are there any buzzers that go of when the temp gets high?

Or Does the engine have a safety shut off to prevent damage?

What does the repair Bill on a Blown head gasket look like, If I do all the labor myself?

I have not driven it since, I got it towed into the garage, I am afraid of driving it out and having it die a few blocks from the house

DN
Old 01-11-05, 08:54 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

I just had a blown headgasket on my SC400 and I think I was the first person in SC history to have one.

I ended up buying a new motor and replacing it myself. It is a real pain to do and not something I suggest unless you are mechanically inclined with a lot of tools.

There is no point replacing the headgasket on a 180k engine. You can pick up a low mileage 1UZ for about $400. Well worth it.

Check for overheating, white smoke etc.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 01-12-05, 05:22 AM
Dee_seal
Rookie

All I want is my SC running again, an engine swap may put me down for a couple months, I cann't even afford to be down for a couple weeks, I am thinking with a new head gasket I could be up and running sooner rather than later. I only plan on holding the car till the end of the year.

I will update later today when I get from work and I add some coolant.

DN
Old 01-12-05, 08:41 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Engine question < engine forum.

moved
Old 01-12-05, 10:40 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dee_seal
All I want is my SC running again, an engine swap may put me down for a couple months, I cann't even afford to be down for a couple weeks, I am thinking with a new head gasket I could be up and running sooner rather than later. I only plan on holding the car till the end of the year.

I will update later today when I get from work and I add some coolant.

DN
It is easier to replace your motor than replace the headgasket.

Jonny
Old 01-12-05, 08:42 PM
Dee_seal
Rookie

OK I added coolant, had to fill the entire reservior, I started the car and the car iddled at 1200 rpm, temps stayed low for a while, when the temp hit halfway the idle dropped to 700 rpm, no smoke, no burned coolant, the exhaust is clean, no oil spewing, everything seems OK, I had the car run till it hit operating temps, and the temp remained halfway no problems. The long and the short is that the car iddles fine, I did not take it out because it is kinda late and I am still skeptical, but all looks and sounds great.

I think the lexus has an automatic shut off in case of overheating, can anyone confirm or deny this?

By the way my sc4000 has 187K not 180K

DN
Old 01-12-05, 08:45 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dx3 is right, much cheaper/easier to swap the engine.
Old 01-12-05, 09:48 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

If it doesnt seem to be spewing white smoke out the exhaust i would imagine that everything is fine with the headgasket and your alternator is cutting out possibly due to power steering fluid leaking on it (very common thing on these cars). The only way to be sure is to take the car to a mechanic and have him conduct a leakdown test on the engine. Personally, I would go down to autozone and have them check if your alternator is going bad. I would think that if the engine overheated enough to stop the car it would not start again because the piston etc would be melted together, i have never heard of automatic shut off on anycar so i would imagine it doesnt but im not 100% sure so someone correct me if im wrong
LexusFiend
Old 01-13-05, 07:02 PM
Dee_seal
Rookie

Day 2 update

On day 2, filled up reservior with coolant again, started my SC and let her run, everything seemed right purring like a kitten, then after a while she began to overheat, I guess she was overheating for a while before it finally died,in any case the engine runs fine no smoke no oil leaks. I am guessing that the engine does have an automatic kill switch if it gets too hot.

Now I need to solve the overheating problem, I am gonna do another fill up with coolant if needed, then I am gonna swap out the thermostat, can I get one of those at pepboys or autozone? Hopefully over this long weekend I can get it this done.

I guess worse case scenario is I have to change out the waterpump, It was changed at 124K. so was the thermostat.

DN
Old 01-13-05, 08:08 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dee_seal
I am guessing that the engine does have an automatic kill switch if it gets too hot.

Yup...warped aluminum.
Old 01-17-05, 07:36 AM
Dee_seal
Rookie

This is the final update I guess, after refilling with about 2.5 gallons of coolant , drove it around the block to the local walmart and back and all is well. temp moves to halfway and that's it. No white smoke out the exhaust.So till this point I don't know what caused the sudden engine stop, my best guess it is heat related.

Well I am back on the road 187K and going strong heading to 250K before trade in

DN
Old 01-17-05, 08:12 AM
Senator
Lexus Champion

If it has happened like what you said before, with the temp going up and down alot, I would get a compression test done and check out each cylinder. Like what was stated earlier, warped Aluminum.

It is all just what I would do, you don't want to repair something that could be fixxed with a little money now, but could end up costing you alot in the end.

Josh