Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Those with turbo timers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 07:47 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by codetoad
Anyone ever find out if a Soarer turbo timer harness will work? I have a greddy TT
bump again. i'm w/ detuned plug & play is better than cut & splice.
the supra tt harness' wont work '93-'95 &'97-'98 (i have both)
so will a soarer harness work? if so someone sell me one!

detuned what did you do, this is a pretty old thread.

john
Old 10-11-05, 08:21 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by supra dr
bump again. i'm w/ detuned plug & play is better than cut & splice.
the supra tt harness' wont work '93-'95 &'97-'98 (i have both)
so will a soarer harness work? if so someone sell me one!

detuned what did you do, this is a pretty old thread.

john
Most likely yes as both SC3 and SC4 have the same ignition harness I think. It was a while since I checked last time.

Chris
Old 10-11-05, 09:32 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how important is a turbo timer? Turboed cars straight from the factory don't have turbo timers (at least I can't think of one) so if its that important, shouldn't the manufacturers done something about it? Is it more of a preventive feature like warming up your car or something?
Old 10-11-05, 11:35 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by chitwnsazn
how important is a turbo timer? Turboed cars straight from the factory don't have turbo timers (at least I can't think of one) so if its that important, shouldn't the manufacturers done something about it? Is it more of a preventive feature like warming up your car or something?
There actually are some cars that come with a turbo timer from the factory.

Turbo timer does not work in the SC very well unless you go with an aftermarket alarm that has the turbo timer built in.

Chris
Old 10-12-05, 03:37 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
There actually are some cars that come with a turbo timer from the factory.

Turbo timer does not work in the SC very well unless you go with an aftermarket alarm that has the turbo timer built in.

Chris
I personally wanted to stay away from a aftermarket alarm, i know theres some nice ones w/
prelubers, remote start & turbo timer options.

as far as i know theres no tt harness avalible for the us sc because it wasn't offered w/ a turbo option. the soarer was, so i assumed there should be a harness for it somewhere. i just dont
know where to look.

thanks john
Old 10-12-05, 05:09 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by supra dr
I personally wanted to stay away from a aftermarket alarm, i know theres some nice ones w/
prelubers, remote start & turbo timer options.

as far as i know theres no tt harness avalible for the us sc because it wasn't offered w/ a turbo option. the soarer was, so i assumed there should be a harness for it somewhere. i just dont
know where to look.

thanks john
I am not sure you understand my point. If you install an aftermarket standalone turbo timer it will cause some problems. For example, when you exit your car while the car is running you will not be able to lock it. Also, when you set your lights on auto, they will not turn off when you open the door because the car is running. So when the car shuts down, the lights will remain on. Unless you figure out some better way to wire the thing up, I would forget about the standalone turbo timer. Get a nice alarm with turbo timer and remote start. That is what I am going to do.

Chris
Old 10-12-05, 05:42 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

AAhhhh yes i was missing your point. i dont use my headlights in the day time, shame on you if your in my way. but i had forgot about the dumby feature for the door locks ... damn.
i'll have to think on this, i really do dislike aftermarket alarms. case closed for now & thanks DirEctQL for the heads up. i love all the lexus "features" to protect us from ourselves.

john
Old 02-09-06, 05:02 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
I am not sure you understand my point. If you install an aftermarket standalone turbo timer it will cause some problems. For example, when you exit your car while the car is running you will not be able to lock it. Also, when you set your lights on auto, they will not turn off when you open the door because the car is running. So when the car shuts down, the lights will remain on. Unless you figure out some better way to wire the thing up, I would forget about the standalone turbo timer. Get a nice alarm with turbo timer and remote start. That is what I am going to do.

Chris
Chris,
thank you for warning us all about this. I was just about to buy a turbo timer until I read this post. Are there ANY turbo timers or wiring methods out there that enable us to run turbo timers on sc300's successfully with no problems?
Old 02-09-06, 05:16 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

The forever ungoing debate on turbo timers, had one for the RX-7 just because the car runs at extremly high tempts, especailly when boosting. Really though all you gota do is lay off the throtle or let it idel for 2 mins before you shut it down. I always thought it was a good time to sit and listen....pop the hood let some of the hot air out of the engine. Maybe drool at it a little bit
Old 02-09-06, 05:44 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by onebadshot
The forever ungoing debate on turbo timers, had one for the RX-7 just because the car runs at extremly high tempts, especailly when boosting. Really though all you gota do is lay off the throtle or let it idel for 2 mins before you shut it down. I always thought it was a good time to sit and listen....pop the hood let some of the hot air out of the engine. Maybe drool at it a little bit
That is just not practical for me. I'd prefer to just park the car can get out asap. There has to be some kinda electrical wiring solution to this...anybody?
Old 02-09-06, 07:07 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally Posted by dejacky
That is just not practical for me. I'd prefer to just park the car can get out asap. There has to be some kinda electrical wiring solution to this...anybody?
Ask on supraforums. I think Supras have the same problem.

Chris
Old 02-09-06, 09:02 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
The joys of having a turbo car. Seriously, what is wrong with driving gently for 2 or 3 minutes before your destination and waiting about 20 seconds?!

If you live on a hill or something I can understand though.
Old 02-09-06, 09:48 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
The joys of having a turbo car. Seriously, what is wrong with driving gently for 2 or 3 minutes before your destination and waiting about 20 seconds?!

If you live on a hill or something I can understand though.
I refuse to answer this question as a friendly reminder to stay on topic...TURBO TIMERS not "methods of avoiding using turbo timers"
Old 02-09-06, 10:47 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Oops Well keeping back on topic...

Erm, in regards to the wiring there are Soarer specific wiring harnesses BUT remember that Soarers do NOT have an in built alarm system into them from the factory.
Old 02-10-06, 03:00 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Oops Well keeping back on topic...

Erm, in regards to the wiring there are Soarer specific wiring harnesses BUT remember that Soarers do NOT have an in built alarm system into them from the factory.
IT'S ALIVE AGAIN !!!

is there any possible way for you to post a pic or give a link for the Turbo
Timer harness???
please 'o' please!!!
i need to see the pin configuration. if it will plug & play, then i'll give it a shot.
i maybe able to get around the alarm & power locks. i would much rather
hack up the TT harness for testing, then my real ignition harness.
TIA

john

Quick Reply: Those with turbo timers