Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

some extra pics of chrisman work - turbo sc400

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 11:47 PM
chrisman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do think its a karmen-vortex generator.. im not sure how they work- i thought it used light in some way, but i guess it can break evevntually.. i dont think it would brake from air velocity-- the pressure may get to it after a while.. although its been drivin alot, id say its boosting 1-5% of trhe time..
you had mentioned blow thru carbs being a nightmare-- i was never unlucky enough to find out.. i think the frirst time i saw a gale banks setup he used a blow thru setup.. many years ago.. i do remember seing in person blow thru setup on turbo bikes.. before fuel inj, it was one of 2 options.. from what i remember, it was super tough to get them to run well..
just recently, within 2 years, i made a turbo setup for a motorcycle--gsxr750..its fuel injected.. if it was carbed, i would havent even tried.., but it ran great..
Old 02-12-05, 12:01 AM
313sc3
Lead Lap

May we have some in fo on the turbochargers? And is that a complete kit that you bought?
Old 02-12-05, 08:26 AM
chrisman
Driver

hi 313sc3, it wasnt a kit.. i made everything at a small shop i have in IL.. i used 2 toyota ct26 turbos from mr2s..they are more of a medium sized ct26, and have a twin entry--the exhaust housing is split/divided in order to keep velocity high.. theat keeps the potential hp down, but makes for quick spool and great street turbo-bility?.. toyota also has larger turbos from early supras that have more potential hp.. all of these turbos can be had for cheap on ebay.. this car also has 3 inch dual exhaust all the way back from the 3 inch down pipes..
it is driven everyday,, and so far has proved reliable..the only mod to th engine has been a fuel press regulator.. it has been dynoed at 370 rwhp at 8psi.. and has run a 13.7 at about 109 mph at the track..
the car/ engine has about 150,000 miles on it..

edited to remove sales context. Chrisman, when you are ready to promote this item for sale to our members, please send an email to advertising@clublexus.com for an informational kit on becoming a ClubLexus sponsor

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-15-05 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-13-05, 12:12 AM
chrisman
Driver

yea, sorry about talking price.. i just want to show that turboing an sc400 does not have to be an unattainable thing.. all of the sc300 guys have been having alot of fun for a while, plenty of turbo options.. i think the sc400, or even the LS400 can be just as turbo-able. it seems that price has been a roadblock to these cars getting attention.. soon enough there should be plenty of turbo v8s running around--sc's, and even some v8 supras..
Old 02-14-05, 03:27 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

wow I purposely got a SC300 because I want to turbo soon,but now that I see the SC400 being turboed I'm thinking of maybe switching..oh welll having a manual makes me happy Anyway BADASSSRIDE!!!
Old 02-14-05, 11:00 PM
chrisman
Driver

robloc93- your car , i think thats it in the sig, looks sharp as hell.. sc400s may be getting turbos, but a manual trans+v8+turbos may still be far off.. --but you never know.. in the meantime, you can be sure your cars gonna get plenty of admiring looks, and a manual trans can be a very important part of the FUN factor.. turbo that Lexus..
Old 02-15-05, 08:43 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

who are you kidding guys
autos are the best
nothing like stomping the pedal to the ground and gettting consistant times and waving "bye bye" to the competition

<--- auto 4 lyfe
Old 02-15-05, 05:18 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisman
robloc93- your car , i think thats it in the sig, looks sharp as hell.. sc400s may be getting turbos, but a manual trans+v8+turbos may still be far off.. --but you never know.. in the meantime, you can be sure your cars gonna get plenty of admiring looks, and a manual trans can be a very important part of the FUN factor.. turbo that Lexus..

Thanks alot Chrisman!! But what happened to mysig?? MOderators?? I had reduced it yesterday so whats the prob??
Old 02-15-05, 06:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by robloc93
But what happened to mysig?? MOderators?? I had reduced it yesterday so whats the prob??
Two different moderators PMd you asking politely to change it over the last ten days, you read their PMs but never responded to either of them and it was still too big (see below). I removed it and replaced it with the forum guidelines... perhaps you didn't save the reduced fix as you intended.

Any questions you can PM me.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-15-05 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 11:42 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Nice ride, seem to be really fun to work on and drive. How much did it cost and how much time did u put into it?
Old 02-16-05, 08:18 AM
chrisman
Driver

hi soul soarer-i think your talking about the TT sc400..the cost wasnt that bad, i used some turbos from mr2s,and made all of the other parts.. i did this for a friend of mine, rdm or bob.. it took about 4 weeks, i have a small shop where i w ork by myself- so if a bigger shop were to do it, im sure it would get done sooner..
robloc93-get thtat sig situation worked out-- -it just disapeered..-its like you were carjacked--kinda..
Old 02-23-05, 11:17 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

anything new?

CEO
Old 02-23-05, 11:27 AM
floridaken
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Goldark
just edited
Uhm where are the pics?
Old 02-23-05, 10:21 PM
chrisman
Driver

hi guys, i guess the pics are gone.. the were taken by one of the guys i met at a local club Lexus meet.. it must have been a much better digi-cam than mine-- pictures were much better and bigger than the ones i had..
oh well-- but since this is a thread of some of my work-- heres a very recent pic of something COOL.. as far as i know its the first Corolla with the Lexus V8--but im not sure anyway.. by the way, this car is getting the same treatment--Twin turbos, auto trans--no air cond..
Attached Thumbnails some extra pics of chrisman work - turbo sc400-llex-rolla-2.jpg  
Old 02-23-05, 10:25 PM
chrisman
Driver

again, sorry about my bad pics, but someday i WILL get a better digicam.. first i gotta get this Lex-Rolla rolling..

Quick Reply: some extra pics of chrisman work - turbo sc400