Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuiding SC400 Transmission Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 10:34 PM
Norbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuiding SC400 Transmission Advice

1992 SC400 with 425,000 KM'S and I can't belive it but the tansmission is starting to fail

I have decided to get the transmission rebuilt rather than purchase a used one. I would like advice on how I should request the re-build ie Shift kits, gearing ect... I know very little on what a transmission shop can do for me and what the benfits are for a sc400 regarding performance transmissions. Also what about rebuilding the TC? Help me please.
Old 02-10-05, 01:02 AM
chrisman
Driver

hi , welcome to the site.. is that really your name?
the trans is not made by toyota, but it is made in japan.. it is used on a variety of vehicles including american jeeps-beleive it or not.. -even on some volvos.. in any case, it is a descent trans for general use, BUT is LAZY.. what i mean is that toyota went out of its way to make it "luxury" .. it lags between shifts, and they try realy hard not to shift hard.. how ironic..
it is controlled by an ecu, but performance mods can still be made.. there are high performance clutches and steels you can get, and should get.. the clutches are either raybestos blues or borg warner reds.,the steels are called kolene, they are black.. thats it for "special hi perf partts" except for converters.. you can usually source rebuilt convertors locally, and you might find a shop that can increase the stall slightly.. by the way, there is also a sprag that everyone recomends you changing..
i just rebuilt a trans, and the parts cost me a litle over 500- including the higher stall speed converter.. but if you have a shop do it, it will prob be well over 1000.. probably more around 1500, maybe even more.. trans shops are accustomed to making heavy money, and its more likely than not that once you ask for any "special parts or service" there gonna be even heavier..
any descent shop should be able to make it shift better, its a matter of some springs, and some knowledge.. but in the end, no matter how well the trans is built--it is not indestructable.. it can still fail, but can live a long life if not abused unnecessarily..
Old 02-13-05, 11:12 AM
Norbert
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank You

Thank you for the information, it is very help full. I will update on the rebuild results. And no Norbert is not my real name.
Old 02-13-05, 12:16 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The tranny is made by Aisin-AW, which is a member of the Toyota group. And yes, Volvo and DaimlerChrysler(in the old Jeep Cherokees) uses their trannies.

And does the softer shifts in the A341E attribute to the 180RWHP on the V8 cars?
Old 02-13-05, 12:26 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i think it be cheaper to get a tranny out of lower mileage sc, than rebuilding.
Old 02-14-05, 02:22 PM
Norbert
Driver School Candidate

Default Used Trany

If I did purchase a used transmission what could I do that is cost effective (cheap) to speed up the shifting? I have heard about increase the line pressure but I know nothing about it. Any other options?

Thanks for all your help