Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injen Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 03:12 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think if one is not expecting any major or any perfoamance gain at all from the intake and just wants it for the looks it is perfectly fine. I actually have an Injen intake myself. Not because I was expecting any performance out of it but simply because I got it at a decent price, it looks nice with the polished intake tube, and I used my stock intake system on another SC that I was rebuilding at the time. Over all the perfomance is virtually the same with maybe a hint of a loss of low end torque and a hint of higher end, but nothing that really changed the driving dynamics of the car. At leas the way I drive my SC. It definately makes the engine compartment look better especially if you dressed up other areas under the hood. Also, unfortunately, if you enter car shows the stock airbox doesn't get you any points at all. People may say it is rice to get a part for its looks, but it seems like many here are putting on 19 and 20" rims as well. Yes, light wheels do help, but most of the 19 and 20" rims people are putting on are not light weight and weigh more than stock. I personally feel there is nothing wrong with adding parts for looks and not specifically for performance. Many other people would actually consider modifying a heavy luxury car expecting great performance (Turbocharged SC300s and Supercharged SC400 excluded) is also rice. However, I don't believe in the term rice and do't use it so I don't agree with that. Personally, I modify my SC mostly for show. I save my speed addiction for my other car.
Old 02-24-05, 06:50 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Boy, am I glad I found this thread. We had a meet last weekend and I felt very underpowered driving with all the other Lexi faster than me. I was just about to buy an Injen intake. Now I see from this thread it's not really going to help at all. I'm not expecting big gains...I just want a little more. Looks like I'll have to go the DIY route. I believe Ed has done this on his GS with positive results.
Old 02-24-05, 07:11 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake Performance Gains

Why don't you try the BFI Mod.
It definitely gives you performance gains and better mileage as well.

Rob
Old 02-25-05, 05:10 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going down to my friend's shop today to take some pics of his DIY intake setup. I'll post 'em up later today. I've got my parts on order so I'll be going this route on my 95 SC4.
Old 02-25-05, 09:14 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by setwire

Rob
Hey man,

I did this on my last SC and I didn't like how it looked. I guess with the right equipment it may look better, as I didn't have the egg-cups.

Jonny
Old 02-25-05, 09:15 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
I'm going down to my friend's shop today to take some pics of his DIY intake setup. I'll post 'em up later today. I've got my parts on order so I'll be going this route on my 95 SC4.

Awesome man,

Will you also get a list of the parts that are needed so I can start locating them. Thx man,

Jonny
Old 02-25-05, 03:52 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by setwire

Rob
What's a BFI?
Old 02-25-05, 03:57 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reggiek
What's a BFI?
http://www.planetsoarer.com/#BFI

Almost every performance mod known for the v8 sc400/soarer is on this site.
Old 02-25-05, 04:05 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

OK guys! Here's the pic of our custom cold air intake. Let me know what you think.
This pic is of my friends car.
Old 02-25-05, 04:13 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
OK guys! Here's the pic of our custom cold air intake. Let me know what you think.
This pic is of my friends car.
http://www.geocities.com/jeremyp111/..._intake001.jpg
Do you have more pictures? I would like to see how you keep water from being sucked in.
I think a better design would be the BFI but to duct in cold air using sheet metal.
Old 02-25-05, 04:42 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Pic of the filter inside the well. The only issue would be driving through 2 1/2 to 3' deep puddles. I don't think that'll happen. Regular driving in heavy rain isn't a problem at all. It's just like driving with any other intake.

Old 02-25-05, 04:58 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

This looks like a mod that would work.It's very similar to the one we have on the 240sx. I know it gave the 240 a nice boost in power when I put it on a couple of years ago.No water problems either.I thought there would be but after driving it in downpours I have had no problems at all.

If you can,please post the exact materials for this mod.Size of the filter and pipe ect.I am gonna do it. I think the bigger the filter you can get on there the better. And ask your buddy if you have to take the wheel well off to get the filter in there.

Thanks
RT
Old 02-25-05, 06:34 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Cold Air Intake

jeremyp111
Like your cold air intake but I believe the BFI Mod gives you more horsepower gains and more cold air.
The reason is the scoop that you make in the front plastic with the spacer washers and bolts.

With the BFI you are litterly scooping air into your original air box.

Also the plastic area that the air is scooped into acts as a kind of chamber that catches any water.

I live in Vancouver, Canada---the rainiest city in North America and I have gone through 2 monsoon seasons with my BFI mod and have not had 1 drop of water reach the original air filter.

The most expensive part of the BFI Mod is the stainless steel bolts and washers to open up the plastic and make the air scoop.

Rob
Old 02-27-05, 01:40 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by verylost
The heat problem is only a part of the problem. Peter Scott over at www.planetsoarer.com showed in an article that the stock intake's flow dynamics are actually ideal for the car. The stock intake under NA conditions has been proven on the dyno to out perform all current intakes.

http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html
that's true and i'm not trying to discredit his research, but gotta also consider he didn't duct in any way to get cold air to the filter. WIth the BFI, he's pretty much opening up the surface area of the filter to air along with a ram air effect with the scoop part. That's pretty much what i did in conjunction with my injen intake. I have the laundry ducting from next to the fog light (about 2.5inch diameter) so that is plenty of air to get scooped into the airbox i made around the filter of the intake. and like the BFI, it's cold air. Also, I read somewhere that the short ram intake like injen is actually better for high rpms, tho it sucks in low rpms. i think it was something with the airflow... of how the intake is straight through to the throttle body instead of being directed to the resonator and then the intake manifold. well i'm not tryin to be biased because i have an injen, i did notice a loss in power with just the injen and that's all. that's why i took some parts from the BFI and applied it to the cone filter injen. and just like the BFI, it makes a difference, how much in comparison to the BFI, i can't say... never did test it out, only butt dyno.
Old 02-27-05, 03:36 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default BFI versus Injen Air Intakes

LexAnt
The 3 things I noticed after installing BFI were
1 Increase in throttle response.
2 Definite increase in Power.
3 Definite increase in gas mileage---at least 3-5 Miles per gallon city driving.

I don't cosider the Injen intake to actually do anything by itself.
In fact if anything it decreases horsepower if the intake is left in the engine compartment.
It does look nice however if done properly.
Your install with the Injen intake outside the engine compartment should however do some good.
The Australians have done major research on this and I tend to agree with their test results.
The biggest bang for the buck still appears to be a well installed BFI.

Rob

Quick Reply: Injen Intakes