Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injen Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 04:47 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically if you're want a better intake, it needs a compartment (airbox) to slow the air down so the pressure will build up around the intake. The BFI and LexAnt's mod are somewhat sealed ram-air systems.

Now If you took a look at the Jeremy's friend's custom intake near the right fog light, the cone filter material is facing directly into the airstream. What will happen when going at high speeds is that some of the air will go through the first side of the cone and straight out the other side and out into the wheel well. It would work better if there is a metal plate behind the back side of the cone to help increase the pressure to the intake. You could also try blocking off some of those holes on the mud guard, although that might reduce brake cooling.

A long time ago, I found a site where someone took two 92-95 civic pipes and cut it to size so that it would be very similar to Jeremy's friend's intake.

If the BFI doesn't suit your tastes, your other intake options would be the standard injen intake which should increase horsepower at full throttle at high rpm's, LexAnt's Injen/BFI mod, and Jeremy's friend's intake or dual civic intake, which I think would a good choice for DX3.

Last edited by Buttercup; 02-27-05 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 05:30 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexAnt
that's true and i'm not trying to discredit his research, but gotta also consider he didn't duct in any way to get cold air to the filter. WIth the BFI, he's pretty much opening up the surface area of the filter to air along with a ram air effect with the scoop part. That's pretty much what i did in conjunction with my injen intake. I have the laundry ducting from next to the fog light (about 2.5inch diameter) so that is plenty of air to get scooped into the airbox i made around the filter of the intake. and like the BFI, it's cold air. Also, I read somewhere that the short ram intake like injen is actually better for high rpms, tho it sucks in low rpms. i think it was something with the airflow... of how the intake is straight through to the throttle body instead of being directed to the resonator and then the intake manifold. well i'm not tryin to be biased because i have an injen, i did notice a loss in power with just the injen and that's all. that's why i took some parts from the BFI and applied it to the cone filter injen. and just like the BFI, it makes a difference, how much in comparison to the BFI, i can't say... never did test it out, only butt dyno.
You need to reread Peter Scott's article I included above. He wanted to test effects of the stock resonator versus aftermarket and the effects of flow in both. He had already proven in another article that ducting brings gains with both BFI and aftermarket.

Ducting may have improved your injen intake, but ducting with the BFI would bring better gains.

If you understand how engines work and some simple fluid dynamics, it's plain as day as Peter Scott explains it.
http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html
Old 02-27-05, 06:44 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by verylost
You need to reread Peter Scott's article I included above. He wanted to test effects of the stock resonator versus aftermarket and the effects of flow in both. He had already proven in another article that ducting brings gains with both BFI and aftermarket.

Ducting may have improved your injen intake, but ducting with the BFI would bring better gains.

If you understand how engines work and some simple fluid dynamics, it's plain as day as Peter Scott explains it.
http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html
I did a lot of research before I installed my BFI. I read the above articles and a few others as well before I decided to go with the BFI.

Anybody thinking about installing any kind of Pod Filter should read the above articles.

Pod Filters do not give any gains in either torque, horsepower or gas mileage.
They may look nice but do nothing practical.

BFI is the way to go.
Only drawback to the BFI is the slight increase in noise created by the added flow of cold air to your engine.
You can hear the BFI working.

Rob