Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

soarer 1jzgte swap guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-05 | 11:26 AM
vududoc
Rookie

OK......Bout the tranny.
I am telling you guys you WILL need to mod the area where the shifter comes throught the tunnel on the R154. If you care to see pics NP.
the difference is about 3 inches added length to the tranny and an odd configuration of the shifter mechanism.
the R154 is a stranger tranny than the w58.
the W58 though i have to say i like it as it doesnt deal with removal and need to drop retaining bolts on the clutch FW assembly like the R154.
the tranny mounts differ from the 2 models. the r154 meets the holes fine but has a swept back design. the w58 is straight accross.
i like the w 58 shifter design though. you can pour the tranny fluid in throught the shifter and you dont have to struggle in putting in a Short shifter like on the R154.
The wiring(Soarer to SC)
Yesterday i spent about 5 hours decyphering wiring and think i got it all down. Now guys FYI im in the MIDDLE OF THE VVTI swap. so my info may differ than most. I will tell you this though....those with TEMS, TRC, 1U will have a bit more fun with wiring, as will those converting from auto to manual. I do agree its not that hard on the wiring but then again i just did the hard part with decyphering. Grab a beer and try not to solder your hands....LOL.
OK.......now there are diferences between the plugs that link up to the fuse box.....BE aware of that. the VVTI has one more wire than the USDM 2J on the lower plug. the upper plug has a white wire...i believe completes the charging circuit. the PS harnes need to be extended to the driver side rack input. Im looking at the EGT and stuff like that as locations differ a bit.
The VVTI has 2 computers....vice the 2J. one controls the main and the other is throttle.
you cannot(well you can) interchange harnesses between 1 j and 2j.....its a pain and pointless.
Total install time so far....10 hours. total drinking time= 8 hours
headache from being the only one i know who has done this(VVTI) to my damn SC endless.

Let me add...1j and 2j are pratcially the same care to find out more or need help(those of you with the tach problem) call me 360-981-0918
Attached Thumbnails soarer 1jzgte swap guide-so-evil.jpg  
Old 03-10-05 | 03:47 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Does anyone know if the 1JZ bottom end is as strong or "about" as strong as the 2JZGTE one. I know the 2JZ has healthy rods and pistons.. How about the 1JZ?
Old 03-21-05 | 08:56 AM
vududoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tommyd1919
Does anyone know if the 1JZ bottom end is as strong or "about" as strong as the 2JZGTE one. I know the 2JZ has healthy rods and pistons.. How about the 1JZ?
i know the VVTI need the rods changed out for higher HP apps. the 1jz is very strong though. Between 1j and 2 j you are looking at ease of parts and high potential for HP. the VVTI is a bit different. dont expect 1000hp....the engine lacks parts support like the others. all i see when i look for parts is non VVTI all over or not for VVTI. . though 768hp i have seen on a VVTI motor and that suits me fine . if you want more specific or technical aspects of the motor go to supraforums.com.

MUAHAHAHAHAHHA
BTW WIRING WORKED OUT. Thanks to all who contributed.....too bad i left the damn batt terminal on and drained my batt win some lose some.
Old 03-21-05 | 11:44 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

2jz-gte bottom end will cure all.......
Old 03-22-05 | 03:21 AM
Sil.n.Ex
Driver School Candidate

Cure what ails ya! Lol, had to say it!!
Old 03-31-05 | 10:48 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

you can run 500hp on the stock vvti bottom end, ueno's d1 soarer is running the stock bottom end
Old 03-31-05 | 11:59 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

Hmm I can pick up a Soarer R154 tomaroow for 700 bucks(I can prolly haggle down). Any reccomend doing this as it may be less hassle than an MK3 with 1jz bellhousing. Then alter length of r154 drive shaft then search for a r154 rear. MK3 trans and 1jz bellhousing would run me prolly 200 cheaper. Any other modifications should I do when doing this. I need to no since im going single and will blow w58 pices. I will document as well.

There was a 1jz built bottom end in Jersey (in a mk3) I recently found out that made over 1000hp before blowing due to I believe a fuel pump failure and blew up. (Heard this at 2am so dont really recall). 1jz bottom end has been proven several times to hold around 700whp.
Old 04-01-05 | 10:12 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

You dont need to alter your driveshaft either with the Soarer R154.
Old 04-01-05 | 11:37 AM
Arizona
Lead Lap

Isnt the mk3 r154 driveshaft a different length than the soarer r154? You cant use a Sc300 w58 can you?
Old 04-01-05 | 12:50 PM
SCdrifter
Driver School Candidate

yes you can run the w-58 with 1jz. thats what i have been running for the past year and a half
Old 04-04-05 | 02:14 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

What I meant to say is If i swap to an r154 trans and read. What will need to be done about the drive hsaft. Can I use the stock sc300 or do I need a Soarer/mk3 driveshaft.
Old 04-04-05 | 03:48 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

if youre using stock tranny and rear you can also use stock driveshaft.
If not, you can have a DS made by any competent drive shaft shop
Old 04-05-05 | 11:13 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand how the 2jz ecu will work considering the motors have different displacements? The w58 tranny has been proven for 500rwhp..
Old 04-05-05 | 09:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

from what i'm reading, you need the 1jz ECU and harness as well, you dont use the 2jz stuff... in fact i think thats not possible since the 1jz uses speed density metering vs the 2jz-ge's Karman Vortex

interesting swap idea guys.... you can tell i havent been around in a while

where are you guys getting the clips from? venus auto? jarco?
Old 04-24-05 | 07:46 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCdrifter
all the clips plug up.a couple of other things
1.the coolant temp gauge pegs hot. there is a wire off the stock wiring that you have to cut and ground. if you look at the clips inside the car by the ecu not on it you should see one wire going in the back side and nothing coming out of the other.just cut it and groung anywhere available.

2. the rpm gauge also doesnt work im still trying to figure that one out i have a number to a guy that knows how to fix the problem.ill post up as soon as i get in touch with him.

3.check engine light doesnt work either.still working on that one.unfortunatly every time i want to check my check engine light i have to put the soarer digital gauge cluster in.

ill keep you updated and again i dont know if its only because my car is 5-speed and maybe the wiring harness differs somehow.
Do you happen to know the color and plug location for the temp wire that needs to be grounded ?

Quick Reply: soarer 1jzgte swap guide