Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 07:37 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't start

Alright so I started my car up just to run it for a little bit because I got my license suspended for a little while for speeding and won't be driving for awhile. So it is running for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden it shuts off. So I get in the car and try to start it, but it just keeps clicking and is trying to start but doesn't. All the lights,dash,windows,and everything works. What could the problem be??
BTW my car is 95 sc300 5spd, if that makes a difference.
Old 02-27-05, 08:31 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Could it be your alternator, and your battery just finally dropped enough voltage that your whole car just stopped.
Old 02-27-05, 08:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Engine question = moved.
Old 03-06-05, 07:04 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

I think I found what is wrong with my car. My friend came over and looked at it with me, and we discovered that their is oil in my spark plugs. So he thinks that is why it's not starting. So I ordered some new NGK iridium spark plugs and also some new performace Taylor wires. Do you think this will solve the problem? And why was their oil in there?? He said something about one of the gaskets going bad.
Old 03-06-05, 07:12 PM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laxdude362
I think I found what is wrong with my car. My friend came over and looked at it with me, and we discovered that their is oil in my spark plugs. So he thinks that is why it's not starting. So I ordered some new NGK iridium spark plugs and also some new performace Taylor wires. Do you think this will solve the problem? And why was their oil in there?? He said something about one of the gaskets going bad.
there shouldnt be any oil there
maybe you need to change the valve cover gaskets
to stop the oil leak
Old 03-06-05, 07:33 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But first I am going to try and get all the oil out and at least get it started, so I can take it to a shop to get that oil leak fixed. Does that oil explain why the car would all of sudden shut off?
Old 03-07-05, 03:33 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Does the engine crank over, but just won't start? If yes, then oil fouled plugs would be a likely cause. If all you here is a clicking sound and the engine doesn't crank, then that's a battery/alternator problem. If it's not cranking over then also check your battery terminals and clean them really well.

AND GET THAT LEAK FIXED!!!!
Old 04-04-05, 05:19 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Alright so I still haven't gotten my car started yet. My friend worked on it and he found out that there was some kind of fluid in the spark plug area. Would this cause the car not to start? Nothing is wrong with battery or anything because I have working lights and everything. What else could it be if not the spark plug thing? Cap, rotor, wires, something with the ignition?? Any input is greatly appreciated I just wanna get my baby running again!
Old 04-04-05, 05:53 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its either the battery or the alternator man, that leak is a whole 'nother issue. Try jump starting it, if that does not work, your battery is fried. If it does start but then quickly dies after the jumper cables are removed, its your alternator
Old 04-04-05, 07:55 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I went over today to jjump it for him since i'm sure his battery died from attempting to start it so much, but it its definately not the battery or alternator as the car doesn't even fire, it just turns over.

I can't remember if you said you changed the spark plugs or not yet, but go ahead and do that, especially the rear ones and check for oil or anything thats fouled them out.

Another thing I thought of is that you could have gas fouled out your plugs, I know I did that when my car broke the first time, just from trying to start it so much and so long.

2 other things to check:

1) Make sure you're getting a spark on all 6 plugs (some trick with a screwdriver, maybe somebody can elaborate)

2) Check the fuel pump to make sure you're getting gas to the engine. Not really sure how to do this, maybe somebody can lay some insight into this also.
Old 04-04-05, 08:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Sometimes you gotta rub the dash and say PLEASEEEEEEE.
Old 04-18-05, 06:30 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I am starting to think that the reason for my car not starting is not the spark plugs or maybe it is, i don't know. I took out the old plugs and cleaned everything down in there then installed the new ones. It still does the same thing as before. So what other things can I look at, what would be some symptoms of the starter going bad? Any other ideas? I still have a month before I can drive again but I would like to at least get it to a shop before then without having to tow it.
Old 04-19-05, 11:33 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my car is doing the same thing. it turns over but wont start . i have not checked plugs. any other things i should check? also would a weak battery even if i tried to jump it off cause it not to crank. or what about water in my gas? anyone have any tips
Old 04-20-05, 08:47 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyone want to help a playa out
Old 04-20-05, 09:06 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

My next guess is to check the cap and rotor, see if you are even getting a spark to the spark plugs!

Quick Reply: Car won't start