Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Serpentine belt snapped last nite!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 11:22 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serpentine belt snapped last nite!

When I swapped the motor, I replaced all belts with new ones. For some odd reason, the serpentine belt just snapped on me. Anyone have any clues as to why possibly? Before the belt snapped, there was a smell of burning rubber in my car for a few miles. Could it be my engine configuration...belts too close to the hot pipe?

argh.
Old 03-01-05, 11:35 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm....one of the pulleys (tensioner maybe?) probably got locked up.
When this happens, the belt usually keeps spinning but because of the friction of the belt against that one pulley, it heats up pretty quickly and soon fails.
After installing a new belt, start the car, and check that all the pulleys are spinning.

~Alan
Old 03-01-05, 12:46 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
Hmmmm....one of the pulleys (tensioner maybe?) probably got locked up.
When this happens, the belt usually keeps spinning but because of the friction of the belt against that one pulley, it heats up pretty quickly and soon fails.
After installing a new belt, start the car, and check that all the pulleys are spinning.

~Alan
is it common for the tensioner to seize up?
Old 03-01-05, 01:49 PM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

sounds like a pull seized
check the pulleys to see if the spin
the only one that wont turn unless you grip it really hard is the crank pulley
the other ones should spin easily
good luck man
Old 03-01-05, 01:59 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely not common, but it happens.
My alternator pulley seized once.
I had a 2000 watt amp running off stock alternator in a Camaro.
At one point the alternator got so hot that the internals baked and the thing seized.
There was a loud squeal followed by a pop and then some thuds (belt hitting other stuff).

~Alan
Old 03-01-05, 03:30 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

At one point the alternator got so hot that the internals baked and the thing seized.
There was a loud squeal followed by a pop and then some thuds (belt hitting other stuff).

~Alan
i think it might be my alternator. Keep you posted on it later.
Old 03-01-05, 03:39 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

~Alan
Key word there: Camaro
Old 03-01-05, 05:11 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had something similar to that happen to me.. Well I wasnt driving, the fiancee was.. Anyways.. I was hearing this weird noise from the engine compartment when I turn the a/c compressor on but it didnt happen w/ it off. So I told my fiancee to not use the a/c. And of course, the next day she did.

Came up to a stop light and heard something drop to the ground. Picked it up, put it in the car and drove another block back to her job to park it. By then the car had already overheated.

I had to borrow my friends car at work and go see what was up... I see the outer part of my crank pulley in the car and me serpentine belt just hangin there under the hood. Turns out it was the a/c compressor that locked up and snapped the crank pulley off of its damper to keep anything else from getting damaged.
Old 03-02-05, 06:53 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Ok here is the thing. I was spinning my pullies yesterday by hand to see if they would turn. ALL OF THEM TURNED.

However, the alternator pulley did not turn as smoothly as the other ones. So I am confused. If my pulley had seized, wouldn't it just stop moving completely?
Old 03-02-05, 07:11 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by got_trd
I had something similar to that happen to me.. Well I wasnt driving, the fiancee was.. Anyways.. I was hearing this weird noise from the engine compartment when I turn the a/c compressor on but it didnt happen w/ it off. So I told my fiancee to not use the a/c. And of course, the next day she did.

Came up to a stop light and heard something drop to the ground. Picked it up, put it in the car and drove another block back to her job to park it. By then the car had already overheated.

I had to borrow my friends car at work and go see what was up... I see the outer part of my crank pulley in the car and me serpentine belt just hangin there under the hood. Turns out it was the a/c compressor that locked up and snapped the crank pulley off of its damper to keep anything else from getting damaged.
I dont like hearing stories like that... I know that my A/C compressor is going bad, locking up, etc....
Old 03-02-05, 08:32 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaotiq
However, the alternator pulley did not turn as smoothly as the other ones.
What do you mean by smoothly?
As long as it spins freely by hand, smoothness is not a necessity.
Dunno what to tell ya.
Put on a new belt and see what happens.
Pay close attention to it for a while.

~Alan
Old 03-02-05, 08:34 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know if it's a common Toyota/Lexus thing or something but coincidentally, the a/c compressor also locked up on a friend's RX300 a couple weeks ago also. That was an expensive part. Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 03-03-05, 06:37 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

^^^

After some research and discussions with my mechanic, we narrowed it down to the AC compressor and alternator. My guess is the alternator because it was the one that came from my front clip. I think it was about time that it saw its wear and tear come to an end; although, it could be my AC compressor since all the lines are still exposed to the air right now. Doubt it.

QUESTION FOR CL: Does anyone have a High Amp Output Alternator? The ones that put out more than stock 100 amps? Any suggestions on the best places to find these high amp alternators?
Old 03-03-05, 10:22 AM
lunasea
Rookie

Default Could be your air conditioner

My sepentine belt broke last week. It was scarey beingon the interstate with the the lighs dimming and the engine getting very warm. My problem was the air conditioner compressor froze. This was not an inexpensive fix.
Old 03-03-05, 11:24 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt its the alternator man... If so this would be the first time i've heard of a 1JZ alternator locking up. But if you really want to replace it try mvpmotorsports.com Its pretty pricey for an alternator imo.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt snapped last nite!