Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo with stock exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 08:01 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldark
you live in chicago and you are worried about emissisions?
you do realize that you can pay people off right?
i know u can pay someone off but I never did it before and so there is my problem, I don't know which shop to go to wanna point me in th right direction? Just wondering if our cars could still pass emissions going na-t.
Old 03-11-05, 08:36 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay let me reiterate.... you're still legit as long as you don't take off any emissions equipment.... okay so i didn't really reiterate...

as long as you've still got the cats in there you're fine... and yes... you're absolutely right rememiya (which BTW.... interesting name.... i associate that with the pink RX-7's) most turbo kits eliminate this equipment which makes it illegal. Now if you relocate the hardware..... different story.
Old 03-11-05, 10:14 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ummagawd
Now if you relocate the hardware..... different story.
Not quite.
The visual inspection in California checks for 'tampering' with any smog-related equipment.
This means that if you get one of those non-C.A.R.B. approved cold air intakes, you're going to fail the inspection, even though you would have probably passed the sniffer test with flying colors.

An NA-T will NOT legally pass smog in California.

Chicago may be a different story.
If all they do it the sniffer test, mount a high-flow cat in your midpipe, pour 2 quarts of denatured alchohol to a 1/4 tank of the lowest octane gas at the pump (87 here), and make sure your car is nice and hot right before the test is done.
If you see them starting to perform the test right after starting up the car, interrupt and tell them that the test is invalid unless the car is up to operating temperature.

The reason for low octane gas is it burns up cleaner than higher octane.

Good luck.

~Alan
Old 03-11-05, 02:40 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i always thought it wsa the opposite.... high octane burned cleaner cuz it burns faster/easier
Old 03-14-05, 09:55 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.tr6web.com/Documents/tr6/octane.html

"Octane actually makes the fuel harder to ignite, hence it's use in very high performance engines."

"Octane is added to the fuel to reduce the chances of detonation. In doing so it actually slows the combustion process."

"Bottom line - for best performance, run the lowest octane you can that does not cause detonation."

~Alan
Old 03-14-05, 12:09 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

well golly jee whiskers!

thanks... very informative link
Old 03-15-05, 08:18 PM
Sil.n.Ex
Driver School Candidate

Yeah this was how I heard a stock fd rx-7 could pass emissions. I think the rx-7 is one of the only cars in history that couldn't pass emisions in stock trim, lol.

BTW, is all that is required if you do the 2jzgte swap and keep stock exhaust that you must remove the precat? Cause if it is...GREAT!!
Old 03-17-05, 03:22 AM
Scooter99
Driver School Candidate

I know someone with a 2jzgte swap in there SC. They retained the stock exhaust. It was great, because it was so quiet. There were no problems at all with it. If you are worried about passing emmisions in Illinois, you can get a PO box in Rockford and sign up your registration out there because they have no emmisions. You could accually have all of your mail forwarded from that address to where you live.
Old 03-17-05, 04:54 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

yes you can run stock exhaust with a 3" downpipe. Yes you can pass emissions if it is only a sniffer... Assuming you have some sort of management you can use to lean it out and get the results they want to see.

If all they use is a sniffer test you could run 4" straight back with no cats and pass if you had AEM or something similar.

-Ethan
Old 03-17-05, 11:29 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

its just too bad in ca theres visual. I also check with my friend that has a smog shop and he said that ANY sort of turbo kit is illegal. But im sure there are ways around that for anyone.
Old 03-17-05, 07:39 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make over 500rwhp through the stock rear exhaust section, believe it or not. Makes for a nice sleeper.
Old 03-18-05, 12:42 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

They also say the resonators (believe it or not since they are straight through) are the most restrictive part of the exhaust per someones flowtest. Cut those out at any exhaust shop for $40 or so and throw on a downpipe and you should have plenty of free flow.
Old 03-21-05, 10:59 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ebanks
If all they use is a sniffer test you could run 4" straight back with no cats and pass if you had AEM or something similar.

-Ethan
This wouldn't work with a '96 or later car because they hook up their computer to the car's OBD-II port, and the AEM does not support that.
An AEM equipped OBD-II car won't pass in California, even if it's otherwise stock.

~Alan
Old 03-21-05, 12:07 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
im prety sure that the soarer has the same exact exhaust, and it comes with the 1jz which is twin turbo, so i dont see why it wouldnt work. although, i really have no idea if its the same, but i think it is.
i just read a recent post about the 1jz swap and he (scdrifter) said that the stock exhaust bolts right up to the downpipe so doesn't this suggest it would be just fine to keep the stock exhaust system up to the downpipe when going na-t and pass emissions with only the precat eliminated?

link to post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152641
Old 03-21-05, 12:32 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

thats why I live in florida and careless about emissions........