Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 09:11 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Seafoam is awesome. My car made my friend's neighbor come outside yelling fire. The sc still runs without the key in the ignition after you stop feeding it seafoam, so remember to plug that pcv valve back in!

GSteg's method with the lucus also works great for fuel injector cleaning, but I prefer using compressed air and a canister to feed the lucus directly into the fuel lines mainly because it is so much faster and I'm an impatient person.
Old 10-24-08, 10:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SGrundy
For future reference, here are picture of the location for the brake booster vacuum line.
Wide angle: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/up...61/BB_Wide.JPG
Close-up: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/up...1/BB_Tight.JPG

See the directions on page 7 for explanation.

Thank you very much! that was all i needed to know..
Old 10-29-08, 05:34 PM
g2racer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, ok, ok... In reading all 13 pages of this thread, everyone's Sea Foam concerns seem to be about spark plugs, pcv valves, changing the oil, damage to the vacuum and fuel systems, and other mechanical problems. I've used it in my gas about twice a month since April, and have had a slight mpg improvement w/o any other changes, so I think it does work.

But...

WHAT ABOUT SEALS AND GASKETS????

No one's talking about this. Has anyone run this stuff for at least a year or two to really know if it's disintegrating rings, seals, plenum and valve cover gaskets right under our noses? I can't imagine that a product this strong wouldn't eventually eat away at anything with a rubber, petroleum, oil, or synthetic base. That's what concerns me most. Everything else can be fixed or replaced, but to take the beauty and construction of a motor that is the SC and risk having to rebuild it, might not be worth it.

Just a concern... I hope someone hasn't already found this out the hard way.
Old 10-29-08, 08:21 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note: I used the PCV valve hose to feed seafoam into the engine. Worked almost instantly, and since its thru the PCV system it is spread throughout all 6 cyl. Just disconnect the PCV hose from the PCV valve and use a small funnel. Disconnect it from the PCV end NOT the manifold end.

I havent used seafoam long enough to see any adverse effects.
Old 01-23-09, 10:34 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump. might do this this weekend on my GS.

so is this mainly placebo on our cars or is it effective?? I have about 160k miles...
Old 01-24-09, 02:32 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did mine like suck it through the brake booster hose. and the small vaccum line at the front side of the intake manifold.
Old 01-24-09, 03:24 PM
trppen37
Driver School Candidate

used it in my Mom Highlander as well as my brother 98 Corolla, Corolla had about 150k smoked like a mother, and showed the O2 sensor code, we reset the code and everything went well...
Old 01-24-09, 04:37 PM
yauser
Rookie

If you are worried about the long term effects of using seafoam every couple of thousand miles, just use it every 50,000 miles instead. Don't do it every 2-5k miles like what the bottle says. Although seafoam may indeed work based on all the positive feedbacks out there, with all that smoke coming out of the tailpipe during each use, it can't be all too healthy. So bottom line is, don't take advantage of this just because it's done well for you after your first try. If it drives better after your first try, it's done it's job, and it probably won't do any better if you use it again too soon.
Old 02-16-09, 08:34 PM
SC34M3
Advanced

might try this too except i have another alternative...Auto-Rx engine cleaner. anybody else use this?
Old 02-17-09, 09:32 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Auto-rx cleans the internals of the engines, but it doesn't clean the intake system. Seafoam cleans both if you put it through a vacuum and some in the oil crankcase. Note that with seafoam, you'll need to change your oil within 100 miles. With auto-rx, you'll need to change your oil around 2500 (depending on how many applications you've given your car).
Old 02-18-09, 03:43 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Ok, so I put Seafoam in my SC3 w/ 115k miles and now it runs like complete crap. It idles rough, gets HORRIBLE gas mileage and seems sluggish as a snail. I followed the directions to a "T" and even watched every youtube video available about the process. 1/3 oil, 1/3 gas tank and 1/3 into the vaccum line. Lots of smoke on start-up, but, no noticeable changes. The next day, it idled like crap and now mileage has gone from 300+ per tank to just over 200 per tank.
I even got an oil change within 70 miles of putting this crap in my oil and it still runs horrible. I've noticed that theres even oil leaking from the distibutor O-ring and certain gaskets. This oil was NEVER there before.

I don't know what's going on

Help me Guys!!!
Old 02-18-09, 05:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

pull your spark plugs out an see if they're fouled.
Old 02-18-09, 05:48 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

I believe its your spark plugs. Sea Foam breaks the carbon into pieces, some burn i.e the smoke and some can foul up the spark plugs. Bad spark = no power or good gas mileage.
Old 02-18-09, 06:55 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
pull your spark plugs out an see if they're fouled.
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I ordered some plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing and serpentine belt, water pump, o-ring for distributor, valve cover gaskets, cam seals and a few other goodies. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the input Guys
Old 02-20-09, 09:08 AM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

me i used seafoam in every car iv owned i use alot in the gas but mostly in the brake booster hose which make the most difference i love it .

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.