Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 01:14 PM
LexCoupeB
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the purpose of seafoam
Old 02-20-09, 01:29 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to clean your engine. There is 13 pages breaking it all down.
Old 02-20-09, 06:27 PM
kpax478
Driver School Candidate

My car did the same thing, I went from about 150 to 180 mpg on a half tank to 120, I put a whole can of "cfoam" in the tank used 5 gals of "leaded" fuel and top the tank off with 92 octane, now gas mileage is back better than before, only issue is stronger acceleration on take off. When I say leaded I mean 105 octane from pump gas. I have refueled my car about 5 or 6 times after I did this procedure and still 175 to 190 miles before half of tank with 92 octane. I`m happy!!!! 158,000 miles on odometer.
Old 03-02-09, 09:13 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reporting my experience with Sea Foam from today.

I've used Sea Foam on my 1995 SC300 with 113,xxx km. I've followed the instruction on the can and used 1/3 in gas tank, 1/3 in vacuum line, and the rest in crank case. My SC didn't shoot out crazy smoke like many have described and the oil drained was quite dark. I guess my engine was fairly clean on the inside!?

Despite the lack of dramatic smoke and black oil, I've experienced positive outcome. Result was much lighter feel in rev throughout and very stable idle. (This is with spark plugs that went through the process. I'm going to swap them out later this weekend.)
Old 05-08-09, 05:45 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool.. I Sea-Foamed my SC300 today.
Surprisingly, it didn't smoke as much a I've witnessed before;
and I have 197K on mine.
It smoked some slight white clouds but thats it.
I've needed an oil-change lately, its almost Black; so I simply
knocked it all out at once.

I did:
- 1/3 in the Gas Tank (With little gas left, so it goes right through.)
- 1/3 in the Engine (Oil)
- 1/3 in the Brake Booster Valve
(The Left Side, of the Two-piece Valve, from the Master Cylinder; that snakes unto the Intake Manifold.
Unplugged, its sucks in air, and the Engine sputters.)

Then I drove to the Gas Station and filled 'er up.
Then to Pep-Boys, and got some Castrol High-Mileage 5W-30; and
came home and changed it.

During the drive to get Gas, I already noticed the difference.
Acceleration was much smoother, and the Engine ran more quietly.
Hopefully it remains smooth & strong; tho Im confident it will.

Go Sea-Foam
Old 07-22-09, 12:24 PM
AyDee
Driver

Seafoam messed up my EGR

I think it just needs cleaning or smthg - other than that I heard its good - My mechanic told me it may knock out the main O2 sensors, but he just wanted to rip me off
Old 08-10-09, 01:43 PM
Confusion
Rookie

so brake booster line or pcv line? it doesn't matter which line you put it in?
Old 08-19-09, 12:42 PM
SCORTIZ
Driver

Im gonna do it myself here in a few minutes ive read alot of positive feedbacks so im convinced it works ill let you guys know how it came out.
Old 09-05-09, 11:26 PM
NealM
Driver School Candidate

read the can, your not doing much putting 1/3 of a can in the tank. I would buy 2 cans and put one can in the tank. Use the other to clean the engine. Just my .02
Old 12-26-09, 05:22 PM
anhtuan904
Rookie

can anyone that has used seafoam more than a year ago give us some input? just wondering not sure who it was but they made a good point about gaskets and seals and whatnot
Old 01-04-10, 08:07 AM
scfou
Pole Position

Seafoam'd my 98 sc400 vvti just this past Saturday. I used 1/3 on the gas, 1/3 on the engine oil, and 1/3 on the pcv. As I was feeding seafoam on to the pcv hose, all I heard was the engine quieting down a bit as it was sucking in the juice. It didn't shut down the car though. When I finished I shut off the car and waited 10 minutes. Then as I restarted the car again, but there were actually no signs of smoke for at least about a half minute. But soon after, a lot of smoke came out. It wasn't as bad as how everyone described it, but possibly because a few people used way too much than what the instructions stated. But anyhow, I didn't drive it until I rev'd out all the smoke first. IMO, well worth it! A quicker throttle response was felt immediately. Surprisingly, the car accelerated faster too, and it's a lot quieter. I've yet to give it an oil change in a few days.
Old 02-13-10, 06:53 PM
simplgreen
Pole Position

hey guys im thinking of doin this, only thing is that i jus changed my sparkplugs today! will the seafoam affect my spark plugs? before i changed them i ran chemtool to clean my injectors. im in need of an oil change so im planning to run seafoam before that. what do you guys think i should do? thanks!
Old 02-13-10, 06:59 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

when you seafoam your car junk will get on your spark plugs, someone mention to use cheap spark plugs seafoam then put the spark plugs you plan on using AFTER the seafoam.

I was wondering where is the location of the pvc pipe on the 2jzge non vvti at? Apparently the PVC pipe is a lot better than your brake booster line
Old 05-13-10, 01:56 PM
kyledye25
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had much success with seafoam. I have used many time. 94 4 door Integra LS, 96 GSR 4 door Integra, 96 Contour SVT, dads 96 Volvo 850, and now my 93 ES300 with 238,xxx. I was always told to do it before you want to change your spark plugs. Or simply change out your plugs after you do it. Also I was told that when added to your oil that it breaks up the sludge and to run it for about 50 miles or so then change the oil. I have done it this way in all the cars I have done it in and always seen positive results. Im very happy with seafoam. I would say I do this once a year about on my cars. New plugs with it too each time. Really helps keep the car in tip top shape. I have always seem my gas mileage go up and oil color stay clearer longer. I always put different amount of seafoam in based on the size of the motor. But I put 1/4 of it through the vac lines, then about another 1/4 into the oil, and the rest into the gas tank. Rev it a bunch during and after all the seafoam is in the vac lines. And then I drove it for about 50 miles or so. Bring it home, change the oil and plugs out. Always works like a charm.
Old 05-13-10, 01:59 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kyledye25
I have had much success with seafoam. I have used many time. 94 4 door Integra LS, 96 GSR 4 door Integra, 96 Contour SVT, dads 96 Volvo 850, and now my 93 ES300 with 238,xxx. I was always told to do it before you want to change your spark plugs. Or simply change out your plugs after you do it. Also I was told that when added to your oil that it breaks up the sludge and to run it for about 50 miles or so then change the oil. I have done it this way in all the cars I have done it in and always seen positive results. Im very happy with seafoam. I would say I do this once a year about on my cars. New plugs with it too each time. Really helps keep the car in tip top shape. I have always seem my gas mileage go up and oil color stay clearer longer. I always put different amount of seafoam in based on the size of the motor. But I put 1/4 of it through the vac lines, then about another 1/4 into the oil, and the rest into the gas tank. Rev it a bunch during and after all the seafoam is in the vac lines. And then I drove it for about 50 miles or so. Bring it home, change the oil and plugs out. Always works like a charm.

Feels like your driving it off the showroom floor after a treatment like this. ^

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.