Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 08:12 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're doing it right and there's a lot of carbon built up. You'll get this:

Brake Booster is easiest line for me to get to on the SC300. I could keep my hand on throttle and it sucking up fluid at the same time.
Old 02-02-11, 12:29 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in doing this to my car but wanted to see if people still had good results after all this time.
Also, any problems now after some time has passed?
Old 05-11-11, 09:43 PM
SliC300
Rookie

I seafoamed my 92 sc3 a few days back, holy crap did it smoke. Did roughly 1/3 in tank and a little more than that in brake booster, smoked my garage out and smelled like a coal barbeque lol. Then I drove it for about 5 minutes to let it clear out completely. Since te car is mostly parked right now I can't e sure but it does sort of feel faster. As far as fuel economy, can't comment either lol but I'm sure it helped out, even if only slightly
Old 05-12-11, 03:06 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seafoam is great man. 1/3 vaccuum lines 1/3 in your oil 1/3 fuel tank. drive it mildly until it stops smokin. then CHANGE your oil( saw some guys askin if it was a good idea) oil filter and your fuel filter i usually change my oil with some cheap oil then drive it around again for a little bit then i put in the good *****. my car always feels so smooth afterwards.

( note to all: have not done this to my 1jz yet. all experience has been with n/a 240sx's)
Old 08-14-11, 04:28 PM
TheBosSC4
Driver

One huge question before I do this. Every single time I did this on a subaru through the engine oil. It basically started making gasket's leak, most likely because it was a flat 4. It was also a different product. Engine flush, ethanol mainly I think. I do not want to put it through my oil if it will do this, cause I do not want to replace gaskets or use thicker oil. Please comment asap. About to do it.
Old 08-22-11, 06:44 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

i will be making a before and after video for SC300 guys. cant wait to do this, this weekend!
Old 08-25-11, 02:01 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBosSC4
One huge question before I do this. Every single time I did this on a subaru through the engine oil. It basically started making gasket's leak, most likely because it was a flat 4. It was also a different product. Engine flush, ethanol mainly I think. I do not want to put it through my oil if it will do this, cause I do not want to replace gaskets or use thicker oil. Please comment asap. About to do it.
Great point. Also interested in an answer as I too had the subaru experience.
Old 08-25-11, 05:49 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That maybe why mine were leaking on one car, but the other wasn't. That maybe on how new the vehicle is or maintained. Who knows?
Old 08-29-11, 01:08 PM
TheBosSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
Great point. Also interested in an answer as I too had the subaru experience.
I honestly think the reason is because its a flat 4 in suby's. Gasket's are vertical, which makes them very susceptible to leaking. Also I think that Lexus/Toyota just uses better parts.

So far I put the seafoam in my gas and thats it. I am to scared to put it in my oil due to the trouble's I ran into with the subaru >>>> Was running 10-30 in it before I ran it through the oil, then after, I had to run 20-50 just so it wouldn't leak. I think the lexus's can handle it though. I mean the 1uz won many awards for years for the most innovative engine when it came out. Not many suby engines have gotten awards, they suck at making big power, the just sound incredible. Aww **** now I'm missing My US STI swapped Gc8, damn that thing ****ing ripped with bolt on's and a cut out. O well I love my lex too. Someday I'll build another suby. Sorry for the rant. Bored at work.
Old 08-31-11, 10:42 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I've done it to my SC4 a million and one times. I do the 1/3 rule also. Car feels great after, and plus my mileage gets a little better.

I currently get anywhere from 19-24 MPG's depending on my driving
Old 08-31-11, 10:56 AM
Blaxxus
Rookie

Used Seafoam on both my SC's and by buddies SC i'm very please with the results even tho they weren't significant. I did the 1/3 rule as well.

1/3 - Gas Tank
1/3 - Crankcase
1/3 - vac line
Old 09-09-11, 07:15 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

a video for the sc300 guys, hope this helps!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oC5QAuERw8
Old 09-10-11, 06:53 AM
ChrisH
Rookie

HIGHLY RECOMMEND SEAFOAM ON OLDER SCS. MY SC ALMOST SEEMED STIFLED , THEN I USED SEAFOAM AND ACCELErATION WAS SPRINGY AGAIN. If your engine is in good condition already, seafoam wont do you much good. Be careful using seafoam with turbos. Letting the seafoam enter the system too quick may cause ur turbo to blow up(seen it happen).
Old 09-11-11, 07:53 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisH
HIGHLY RECOMMEND SEAFOAM ON OLDER SCS. MY SC ALMOST SEEMED STIFLED , THEN I USED SEAFOAM AND ACCELErATION WAS SPRINGY AGAIN. If your engine is in good condition already, seafoam wont do you much good. Be careful using seafoam with turbos. Letting the seafoam enter the system too quick may cause ur turbo to blow up(seen it happen).
Were did you see this happen? Was it litteraly an eye witness?
Old 09-11-11, 09:20 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Alright, so we all "know" what seafoam does.
it removes varnish and buildup in various parts of your engine.
So if you add it to your oil, imagine one of those oil feed passages for your turbo getting blocked.
turbo heats up, oil crystalizes, turbo goes bang.

IMO, if you want to clean out the gunk in your engine, use the Rislone Engine restore. it slowly removes the same buildup/varnish.. so the pieces are much much smaller, more like disolved in the oil, but it doesnt work in 15 minutes.. so you may have to do it over a few oil changes...

but to each their own - so even without turbos, imagine a chunk of gunk blocking something in your engine, thats sometimes why you hear shops saying, no we wont do a FLUSH on such an old car or high milage engine.

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.